SAU Community

Need Some Advice...

'Glass' is relative. The stock NA bottom end will only take around half a bar of boost before it dies. That's a pretty low amount of boost, which is probably what gives it the reputation. There are a lot of people out there chasing numbers, and 7-8psi isn't something you can brag about to some 2JZ-GTE driving mate.

But when you consider that most of the twin turbo kits pushing that kind of boost make 280rwkW (which is about all the bottom end will take as well) then it doesn't seem that glassy. That's a usable amount of power in most people's books.

There aren't many stock NA motors that will let you go FI and make that much power reliably, regardless of when it was made.

From what I've read on G35Driver, the VQ35DE can produce up to 450hp (335 kilowasps) when going F.I. before it bends conrods. Thats not so bad.

I'd still build a stronger block with F.I. for P.O.M. and reliability.

335kW is the limit of the stock fuel system that isn't replaced in most entry model TT kits (and that's on the dyno, so you wouldn't even consider it a "safe" level for street use). I am pretty sure most of them only do the injectors and pump.

To my knowledge from the 350Z side of things, 400rwhp (approx 300rwkW) was what they considered the limit for safety. It depends on if the G35Driver guys are referring to flywheel power or not, since then they'd basically be talking about the same thing.

I am aware of one local who ran around 310-320rwkW with the stock bottom end on his car, but he eventually popped the motor. The guys I know who leave it at the 260-280rwkW the stock APS kit runs at, and track the car pretty regularly for years, haven't had issues.