SAU Community

I Know Nothing (r31).

Howdy people. I got my heart set on an R31 for numerous reasons but above all it looks mean.

I'm looking for information about the car like what I should be looking for when I go to purchase one?

also things like fuel economy.. and what should i be looking at paying for insurance? i'm 19 and on my p's.

I believe my gran use to have one but it had the rectangle taillights, not the stove top(?) ones. sold it for 2k six years ago. Is this the same car?

Thanks all.

edit: don't hate me, i don't know how this forum works.

Edited by kayOne

Howdy people. I got my heart set on an R31 for numerous reasons but above all it looks mean.

I'm looking for information about the car like what I should be looking for when I go to purchase one?

Hi,

Just my own opinion:

• "Low kms" (up to 240000, but the lower the better)
  • few modifications
  • straight panels - and all the same colour  :happy:
  • minimal rust
  • good wheels and tyres
  • roadworthy certificate

Perhaps you can post some specifics about what you're looking for: auto/manual, sedan/wagon. Also, if unsure, it's a good idea to have a mechanic check out the car for you.

good luck,

JohnH

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

I only got an auto license, and I'm looking for a sedan. What's fuel economy like and is insurance high for these cars?

I just found this on the forum too and I'm putting it here so I can find it later:

GX - (Base Model with Pwr steer std)

Executive - (Basically a GX with A/C and Auto std)

GXE - better cloth trim, A/C standard

Silhouette - "sports" model - alloys, better seats, LSD. Two tone Paint, trip computer, boot lid spoiler etc.

TI - Top line - loses the spoiler, two tone paint and LSD in favour of cruise control, power windows and velour trim.

Edited by kayOne

Insurance shouldn't be too bad for an unmodified auto sedan compared to other cars. The fuel economy will be a bit sad compared to modern cars, but not awful.

Im no R31 expert, but general rules for checking out cheap and cheerful cars are:

- Look really carefully for rust, e.g. under the bonnet, on the underside of the doors etc.

- Look for oil that is leaking from the engine. The cleaner the better.

- Check the amount/color of the exhaust smoke as a mate revs the car. A little blue puff as you turn the key is ok, but it should clear immediately.

- Bounce the thing like crazy on its springs and see how long the car takes to settle. It shouldn't bob up and down several times before coming to rest.

- Look at the gap between the panels. An uneven gap hints at a previous smash.

- Stick your head under the car and study the rubbery bits. No cracks is good news.

- Look for matching/good tread on all four tires. Uneven tire wear is a bit of a worry.

- Look at the previous owner. Buying grandpa's beloved car is a much better idea than buying off some dodgey hoon.

Also, think about getting RACV total care or something similar. Lots of free towing and roadside repairs if things do go wrong (which is pretty likely) in the first year.

Good luck!

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

I only got an auto license, and I'm looking for a sedan. What's fuel economy like and is insurance high for these cars?

Someone will have to check this but I think they require premium unleaded fuel. (I've got an R30 that runs on unleaded). Economy depends on engine size and driving style.

You can check insurance costs by doing an online quote with any of the major insurance companies. Age/experience is a big factor so there are "large" excesses that apply to claims if you're young or has a licence for less than two years. Cheapest option is "third party" or "third party, fire and theft". You should at least get "third party" insurance. For my (older) car with (older) driver, third party insurance is around $180.

As well as this forum, you might find a car and extra advice here.

cheers,

JohnH

You will find an auto Ti amongst the 'gangsta' and 'dorifto cops' here --->http://forum.r31skylineclub.com/index.php?board=26.0

and for all you technical data and stuff

http://wiki.r31skylineclub.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

and finally (good info here)

http://wiki.r31skylineclub.com/index.php?title=Buying_guide

Ive been around a few R31's built a few RB30e+t etc, and for what you pay for them these days you really cant go wrong.

the pick of the bunch would be a white Ti with grey trim, white cos it dont fade and easy to repair, and grey trim cos the brown looks like shit, literally.... plus the Ti has better sound deadening, better stereo, better brakes, and all electrics ast you previosuly stated. easily found from $1000 to $3000 for a nice one, could pay up to $5000 for one all modified and possibly turboed

the sillhoette (or however its spelt) is a nice ride too, does feel sportier

what town/state are you in and I might be able to help source a good example for you

and be careful, as they are known to hoons and 'drift heads' and 'fuuly sik skidz bro' type people, so there are MANY thrashed and trashed vehicles out there (good for parting out and getting repair panels off etc!)

The RB30e is one of the toughest engines nissan ever made, im pretty sure the blocks were made in dandynong vic with australias high quality metals back in the eighties.....

the only reason i dont own one is I have an R30 (the version beforehand) and it handles better than an R31 due to the R30's independant rear suspension, the Australian R21's have live axel rear end... similar to a hilux (very strong, good for towing)

yea good luck mate.

best bet for all your info is www.r31skylineclub.com

and get a mechanic to go over it.

but some bad points i have found

hand brake is shit

brakes only good for light street use (solved by R33gtst brake up grade)

to many cheep rip off parts for sale these days.

oh here is the link to my old 31 and the new one

http://forum.r31skylineclub.com/index.php?topic=122545.0 new project

http://forum.r31skylineclub.com/index.php?topic=58063.0 old one

Also check the bottom of the front guards as the drain holes tend to clog up with dirt/leaves and rot the bottom of the panels (also in R30's!)

hope you get what you want :)