SAU Community

Regency Experiences

Steve

Lol... he told you to put steel wool in the muffler? How dodgy!

Yep, it's exactly the same engine as standard. Well, the bottom end. The head, intake, turbo (nearly lol) etc is all from the original A-spec engine.

I think I will probably end up doing what DriftR-33 did. The emission controls were unplugged, I will just make it look stock by replacing the intake etc, and when I go for my inspection I will tell them what I think the defect means. They're unlikely to call the defecting officer, are they? I'll of course tell them that it had a larger than standard intercooler too. You're probably right, they are government employees and unless they suspect me of being some kind of deviant they're not likely to ruin me. I will call TSA when I can to see what the emissions defect actually means.

Anyway, it says in the TSA pdf's I was reading that extractors are legal, and indeed all exhaust modifications are, so long as you

a)retain the catalytic converter and

b)do not have an exhaust louder than the ADR states.

Obviously because it's very hard to get stock exhausts for older cars, they can't be unreasonable.

I don't feel so bad anymore, I should be able to get past it. They will probably only ask me to prove the emissions if I want to get my modifications approved. I'll start saving :D then I'll get it modified and on the street legally. It's worth 3K hehe.

Yes, this 3 inch intake pipe actually allows me better than standard emissions and fuel economy officer. I have the engineering certificate to prove it.

go to sturt rd police station, thats what i have been told!

im looking forward to a "exemption from the fitting of a compliance plate". whats stupid is that my car is complied and i can prove it.

looks like they r tryin 2 f**k us both ova haha

Haha.. I've heard that too, but I have to go to regency for the inspection, so I can't. Should have gone down there for the VIN check. Although really, anyone who knew anything about cars, even a little bit, would have defected the thing.

What do you mean "exemption from fitting of a compliance plate"? Theyre trying to say the car isn't complied or it isn't allowed to be?

No, it has an aftermarket. They looked for it at the VIN inspection, couldn't find it though. I think I'll relocate it. It's not a particularly common car so I guess I'm living in hope that they won't look, know where to look, or even think to look when the car looks stock. My loom is such a mess, I don't think it's going to be particularly easy to go back to the stock computer. OOO, but a good point, I should probably put fuses in the "ECS" section of the fuse holder :)

QUOTE(doommachine @ 15 Dec 2005, 05:57 PM)

You're probably right, they are government employees and unless they suspect me of being some kind of deviant they're not likely to ruin me.

laffo - yeah good one  :lol:  their job is ruining people.  :O

Haha... sometimes I'm idealistic!! Lemme lone!!! hehe

Edited by doommachine

I know my experience is nearly 12 months old, but ive seen too much bullshit lately...........

Just afta xmas last year i got pulled over in grenfell st for a breath test.

Cop looks at my car (then a dead stockie aside from mild cat back exhaust, tint and pod) and reckons its half alright, and his son has one just like it. Asks about the LPG system, whether he can check everything is up to spec (test dates etc)

Having been my first car with LPG, i assumed when the used car yard sold it to me earlier in the year that they would hav checked shit like that. Cop comes back and starts writing the canary cos there was no 10 year stamp on my tank.

Visit to regency..........had the test done on my tank, 100% okay. Spent some extra money, went to pedders and had ALL my bushes replaced and power steering pump done cos it was leaking like a bitch

Go through the whole test..........start gettin picked on for small things, chrome washer jets, white LED parkers (that appeared ever so slightly silvery blue in the middle of the day in their POS workshop), tint on the front driver and passenger windows, a small hole in my driver's seat fabric, driver's seatbelt (didnt look at the twisted and equally dodgy lookin passenger seatbelt that remains today), and exhaust..........this is a stock R31 with a cat back 2.25" system that registered (GET THIS) 90.1dB!!!!

Spend 2 grand gettin new bits, borrow some untinted glass, get it signed off to drive (as its my daily to work) and then prepare for the anal reaming every time a copper sees the 2 stickers in the window. I got pulled over on my way HOME from regency that day and the cops started laughing at the shit i got done for - thats right, they laughed at what the cowboys did me on.........

Have been followed on many occasions since, but now i fear that if i get done again i'll never pass as i couldnt afford to return it to stock again

My mate went to comply his auto NA R32 bout 4 months back......had a workshop do all the work to bring it legal......he gets through with exception to the 2 rear tyres.....the ADR approval stamp wasnt clear enough so he got made to buy ANOTHER day pass to go over to Bridgestones and buy 2 new tyres for the rear.....then to come back and hav his compliance (and rego) approved.

That is a joke, and from what ive read over the last 2 days and 22 pages, it sounds like my mate and myself got it relatively easy

Man, I don't know what to think anymore.. some people get it really harsh, some people get it easy. This guy I talked to today reckons a lot of his friends have gone over the pits in S14's, massive intercoolers and piping, no dramas. And then you get stories like yours Matty.. which just makes me angry as.. I mean how many f@#$ed commodores are on the road? Exhaust pipes trailing on the ground.. ahh, just get that fixed whenever you can mate.. but as soon as a young guy in a shiny datto 1600 goes by.. boom, ah mate those wheels are a bit big for this car... I wish they would just make up their minds, you know?

Anyone here get through with a larger intercooler? I am having a bastard of a time trying to find a stocky, the car is just too uncommon. Is it worth calling regency, asking if its okay and then getting that persons name/number etc?

Anyway, if they get that anal with me I'll complain to transport SA that I feel I'm being treated unfairly, and if they do nothing I will call my minister of parliament. I mean non standard intake - I can accept that. But, if they start saying.. oh it's unroadworthy because theres a small hole in this seat. That is BS. So everyone has to buy a brand new car?

• 1 month later...

not all of the cops are nazi's. I had a lady undercover cop pull me over after going sideways from macyntire rd onto north east in the 3rd lane and got up to 120kphr{second gear 8000rpm} in a 60 zone {waiting for traction in wet}. all she did me for was excessive noise{wheel spin} $95 fine, no demerit points. all i said was i was running late and did'nt expect the car to loose traction as i enterd the corner and when it did, i just tryed to keep it straight until my wheels had stopped spining. i said also thats is why she didint hear my blvs{stock twins{gtr}} going off {i wasnt doing 120k's officer or you would of heard them}. she seemed to now her stuff and didnt even check my{{ tilbrooks special}3 1/2 inch straight through with caron fibre muffler exhaust} and im not shiting you straight through from the dump pipes! o well i think i got lucky!!!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, back from regency.. joy, now I have TWO defect stickers. The old defect is clear and yet they didnt remove the sticker.. hooray.

Anyway, firstly, the front window tint has to come off. I didn't even know the windows were tinted, they are like 2 percent darker than the windscreen.

Secondly, the drivers seatbelt needs to be replaced. Which is annoying because every car more than ten years old has screwed seatbelts.

Next, the car is too low. This is particularly frustrating as I called them and asked the lowest eyebrow height in advance, and my car JUST scrapes in, like exactly legal, but the inspector told me that on my car, 370 is the height. Bummed out. Make up your minds.

He "suspects" the car leaks oil. I did a service recently and since I drained the oil out, there is oil on the sump pan. Have to get the car checked out etc. I suppose that's reasonable, but again, plenty of cars leak oil.. realllllly annoying that everyone in a crapped out XD falcon gets to drive around and leak oil everywhere.

Ah, the knock sensor. The inspector asked me about it and I said, it connects to a microphone, and if the engine knocks, the light lights up to tell me I am about to destroy the engine. Obviously a safety feature, right? On hot days I wont be swerving all over the road, spewing oil everywhere and crashing into cars because the ENGINE HAS DESTROYED ITSELF!! Right??

But, according to another inspector, it adds fuel to the engine. How it does this is a mystery to me, but it is apparently a defect. I'm thinking of getting the user manual and showing them that it doesn't add fuel, but I really don't want to inflame any more defects on my next defect, especially at 110 bucks per trip (inspection + permit to drive).

That's about it, but the car apparently blows a little black smoke on startup, which "might" indicate that the car has a modified fuel system. Now, I'll admit that it did, but now it doesn't. Not a chipped ecu, just a freaking haltech interceptor, which I have removed. Not that I would tell them that of course :geek: EVERY example of my car blows black smoke on startup.. a guy I know has a white one, his bumper is black. It is stock. But, now I need an emissions test (greaaaaaat more money) plus, when I go back, they want to see my ECU. Which is jammed in next to the air condtioner behind the glove box. I don't know what they expect to see it do, as it's just a box with wires coming out of it.. but... yeah. It's not like there's flashy lights or anything. Even if it is modified, the ecus in my car are modified internally, so they won't be able to tell if it is.

Overall I am a little disappointed, as most people say it is obviously their job to ensure I don't get to drive my car. It is upsetting that there is plenty of cars which would not even close to pass regency, rusty exhausts, punched out cats, cut springs, windows so tinted theyre like sunglasses, MASSIVE rims, not to mention just plain old rustbuckets, with ruined seat belts, interiors, bald tyres, screwed suspension, and yet.. they're allowed to drive around.

Yet, as a car enthusiast, I ensure my car is in good working order, that the brakes work, that the suspension is correctly set up, that it is safe for myself and other road users.. and I'm not allowed to drive it. I mean if your car starts bellowing black smoke from the exhaust pipe, do you

A)keep driving to work in it every day

or B) freak out and immediately try to work out the problem.

Us car guys always go B!!

But normal IDIOTS are on A, and they're allowed to drive. It annoys me. Just because I can afford (well! not really!) to get my car past regency, why should they make me.

Sorry to rant all over your forums.. but.. dammit, it's not fair that there are two sets of rules...

Depending on the knock sensor system in your vehicle he may actually be right. Some add fuel and some reduce timing if knock is detected in order to prevent that from continuing.

Sorry to hear about your experiences, emissions testing in Adelaide is particularly expensive from what I hear. Did they give you an idea of where to get it done?

Sounds like you've been reamed royally, it may be cheaper to buy another car.

Cant buy another one, it's under finance (d'oh). Anyway, I should be ok. Can't let the man get you down. The guy said it doesn't matter who I go to so long as they have an exhaust sniffer. So autopro or wherever. I'm not paying more than 40 bucks to have someone point a piece of equipment at my car for 25 seconds. Unless, of course, I pass first time regardless, in which case I will probably pay 100 :) (joke)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all,

Defect doomsday was on the 24th of March 06 for me... And guess what I passed :D

After hearing all the others horror stories I was like..damn.. I'm gonna get shafted..

Ok this was my mods before I went in, 3inch turbo back exhaust, FMIC, Tanabe Coil-Overs, EBC (AVCR), Power Fc, HKS Pod Filter, Boomerang alarm ( turbo timer and auto start ) and a boost gauge. Basically the simple mods..

I got my mate to put a smaller restrictor pipe after the cat, and it managed to shut the noise back down to only 86dB, good enough. Had to buy R33 stock suspensions just to rip off the tops ( already had r34 stock struts and springs ) then thanks to nozilla, all my electronics was taken out. I left the FMIC and SECURED pod filter.. and had no probs..

Walked into regency with friend and gf, and a young guy name TIM came to inspect my car.. I was like damn.. I'm gone for sure.. Instead he was real nice, he actually named everything I had on my car before hand.. it was quite funny, he was like.. "so this was where your boost gauge was mounted."

My car actuall didn't have the line going from the waste gate to the plenum feed back I think, and he was like, so this thing must go like mad.. I was why? ( knowing stuff all about the workings of my own car... lol ) He then explained that with out the hose I would being building boost and not releasing it. well something like that.. So I spilled the beans and said.. look, my mate went through this car and returned it to stock so that I'd pass regency.. He just laughed and said it was all good.. as long as it wasn't there on the day of the inspection.. Then his mate came and looked at the car.. I was like shit... Instead they were like ..yeah I like R34's.. I was like SWEET....

All in all, the guy was real nice and kept saying to me... why are u so afraid, I wasn't that mean was I?.. lol..I was like.. thank god..

So at the moment I've still got the stock suspension in, and she rides like a dream, no scraping, but instead looks like a 4wd landruiser. Will be getting white line springs or something similar.. I'm gonna buy and EVC to shut up the exhaust and that will hopefully be the end of it all.

I've learnt my lesson.. i.e Make sure the cop testing the Exhaust is standing 0.5 m back and on a 45 degree angle..before I accept there decision again!!!

Take it easy boys, and for the guys that got double defected.. Awww..nuts.. oh wells..maybe next time :D

Iceduck OUT

I know my experience is nearly 12 months old, but ive seen too much bullshit lately...........

Just afta xmas last year i got pulled over in grenfell st for a breath test.

Cop looks at my car (then a dead stockie aside from mild cat back exhaust, tint and pod) and reckons its half alright, and his son has one just like it. Asks about the LPG system, whether he can check everything is up to spec (test dates etc)

Having been my first car with LPG, i assumed when the used car yard sold it to me earlier in the year that they would hav checked shit like that. Cop comes back and starts writing the canary cos there was no 10 year stamp on my tank.

Visit to regency..........had the test done on my tank, 100% okay. Spent some extra money, went to pedders and had ALL my bushes replaced and power steering pump done cos it was leaking like a bitch

Go through the whole test..........start gettin picked on for small things, chrome washer jets, white LED parkers (that appeared ever so slightly silvery blue in the middle of the day in their POS workshop), tint on the front driver and passenger windows, a small hole in my driver's seat fabric, driver's seatbelt (didnt look at the twisted and equally dodgy lookin passenger seatbelt that remains today), and exhaust..........this is a stock R31 with a cat back 2.25" system that registered (GET THIS) 90.1dB!!!!

Spend 2 grand gettin new bits, borrow some untinted glass, get it signed off to drive (as its my daily to work) and then prepare for the anal reaming every time a copper sees the 2 stickers in the window. I got pulled over on my way HOME from regency that day and the cops started laughing at the shit i got done for - thats right, they laughed at what the cowboys did me on.........

Have been followed on many occasions since, but now i fear that if i get done again i'll never pass as i couldnt afford to return it to stock again

My mate went to comply his auto NA R32 bout 4 months back......had a workshop do all the work to bring it legal......he gets through with exception to the 2 rear tyres.....the ADR approval stamp wasnt clear enough so he got made to buy ANOTHER day pass to go over to Bridgestones and buy 2 new tyres for the rear.....then to come back and hav his compliance (and rego) approved.

That is a joke, and from what ive read over the last 2 days and 22 pages, it sounds like my mate and myself got it relatively easy

NOboddy should have to go thorugh that much shhhhiite!!!!!!

buy a registered bomb for 200 swap all plates and details numbers etc problem solvered....

Is a little wrong but when you think about it whats more wrong that or the revenue creation and oppression from the less fortunate that places such as regency and alot of the police inforce.

NOboddy should have to go thorugh that much shhhhiite!!!!!!

buy a registered bomb for 200 swap all plates and details numbers etc problem solvered....

Is a little wrong but when you think about it whats more wrong that or the revenue creation and oppression from the less fortunate that places such as regency and alot of the police inforce.

Sorry this comment was for doomsmachine not the other guy i quoted.

has anyone have to have an exempt from complance plate(road worthy check) done?? what kinda stuff will they check? i have a few bushes that needs replacing? will they be harsh on that kinda stuff? a 1-2 oil soked seals. 1 ripped boot on my steerinig rack? is any of that stuff a major thing to get thro a road worthy?? whats the best thing to do with th turbo timer? should i hide it in the dash some how or have it taken out?

I had this check done when I had my car inspected for it's first registration in Australia..

No compliance plate needed, as they are doing some sort of new scheme, which is some SA identity plate, instead of the compliance plate.....

Though, they havent found a suitable plates for this purpose as yet.

They told me a letter would be sent out following the inspection to cover me until the time they did have plates available to affix to the car (attachments supplied below)....

Sure enough, 2 weeks later, a letter got sent out, saying I had to keep it in the car at all times to be sighted on request by a police officer.

No plate affixed to my car anywhere....

They just did what I assume to be a standard inspection for roadworthyness (over the pit, seatbelts, steering play, brakes)

Passed with a blitz air filter installed, aftermarket front bar and skirts, recaro front seats, no stereo head unit....

Take your turbo timer out, fix the problems causing leaks, I would personally replace the rubber boot. The bushes should be ok, as long as the parts don't have excessive play in them.

post-26903-1144528334.jpgpost-26903-1144528501.jpgpost-26903-1144528576.jpg