SAU Community

Regency Experiences

Steve

thnx

Can't believe Im saying this but do a search on NS.com SA section. I believe someone got through regency with a CF Bonnet, mind you he brought his engineer with him and regency could not prove that the bonnet did not have metal reinforcement. I remember this because the engineer signed the defect stating CF bonnet approved or something similar.

So it could be possible

I thought you weren't allowed to have anyone else with you lol. Unless they just had the engineer look after the inspection...

I can't see what the issue is and I would argue the point. If they kept it at 1 person, then I'd let the engineer do it. It would very difficult for them to palm something off to be check on another visit.

Due to the fact that I've read alot of people requiring 2 or 3 visits, even if it cost ~$300-500 for the eng it would be money well spent considering each visit is around $100 for the inspection + permits.

Hey there Fellas,

Got a canary tonight while cruising happily behind my mate in his stock Sti at 50 km/h when this cop on the far left lane is sitting at 30km/h. I go by, he indicates across, straight behind me. Im indicated to turn right at the lights, he follows, i change lanes....so did he. Eventually he pulled me over. Apparent breathaliser test. After that he starts going through the car. The main question here is are Oil Catch Can's illegal? It's the only thing i can think of besides the turbo timer that i might have to change over.

Also, what does a 'minor' inspection at regency mean, and will they go over the car like no tomorrow? (which doesnt bother me too much - Yet)

Hey there Fellas,

Got a canary tonight while cruising happily behind my mate in his stock Sti at 50 km/h when this cop on the far left lane is sitting at 30km/h. I go by, he indicates across, straight behind me. Im indicated to turn right at the lights, he follows, i change lanes....so did he. Eventually he pulled me over. Apparent breathaliser test. After that he starts going through the car. The main question here is are Oil Catch Can's illegal? It's the only thing i can think of besides the turbo timer that i might have to change over.

Also, what does a 'minor' inspection at regency mean, and will they go over the car like no tomorrow? (which doesnt bother me too much - Yet)

Bugger... Catch cans are illegal as are turbo timers.

Is the car lowered? They may pick this also. Zip the car to your local tyre center and have then check all the bushes.

They tend to pick stuffed bushes on these older imports.

The night prior to having the car inspected be sure to give it a real good clean in the engine bay around the powersteer as to remove any seeping pwr steer hoses, as almost all r32's I've seen have seeping pwr steer hoses.

Bugger... Catch cans are illegal as are turbo timers.

Is the car lowered? They may pick this also. Zip the car to your local tyre center and have then check all the bushes.

They tend to pick stuffed bushes on these older imports.

The night prior to having the car inspected be sure to give it a real good clean in the engine bay around the powersteer as to remove any seeping pwr steer hoses, as almost all r32's I've seen have seeping pwr steer hoses.

Cheers Cubes,

I knew the turbo timer was illegal, thing was he didnt see it at all. He asked me though and i said yes due to the fact that the car switched itself off earlier, and i wasn't sure if he heard it (i didnt have enough time to turn it off -> due to its location).

Thanks for the catchcan info, im going to get it removed as soon as possible, and replace all tyres with stock ones from my brothers R32. My bushes should be fine as all the suspension and associated gear was checked and replaced through insurance.

Cheers again. Question, how long does it take to organise a day to take it into regency (how long am i looking at waiting?) and how much am i looking to pay?

Edited by DC_GTST

Cheers Cubes,

I knew the turbo timer was illegal, thing was he didnt see it at all. He asked me though and i said yes due to the fact that the car switched itself off earlier, and i wasn't sure if he heard it (i didnt have enough time to turn it off -> due to its location).

Thanks for the catchcan info, im going to get it removed as soon as possible, and replace all tyres with stock ones from my brothers R32. My bushes should be fine as all the suspension and associated gear was checked and replaced through insurance.

Cheers again. Question, how long does it take to organise a day to take it into regency (how long am i looking at waiting?) and how much am i looking to pay?

Hey dan bummer about the defect... I just knew he was gonna come say hi... I spotted him on West Tce but the landcruiser ride height of the STI versus ur skyline meant I didn't get much attention from him, but then as soon as you rock up and followed me around, he flipped on the indicator and came n said g'day.

As for the catch can, don't quote me on this, but I heard that it's legal as long as you have braided hosing - probably something about having boiling hot oil floating around the engine bay.

And with the turbo timer, anyone know if dan'll have to remove the timer only, or the harness as well.. i'm asking from the perspective of the regency inspectors, as depending on where they check, you might be able to throw the wiring back behind your stereo or wherever it can fit out the way.

Anyway, your little canary pretty much ensured I had a damn uneventful drive home - wasn't gonna even let the boxer sniff some boost in town cos of how many cops there were!!!

If it's only a 'minor' defect I *think* you only have to visit a police station, afaik it's only if they tick the 'major' box you have to lube up for regency. :D

If that is the case, take out the turbo time AND harness (I got picked up for that), of course by 'take out' you could interpret that as add a plug onto the end of the harness and electrical tape it to a handy loom running nearby :laugh:

umm just check things like ride height, and most importantly eyebrow height, and like cubes said, bushes, etc they seem to be pretty picky with them no matter what.

Catch cans are fine if they are 'enclosed' - the ones with filters on the top are the ones they will get worked up about.

Edited by platinum

any wiring on the ecu loom is a no-no, they dont like it at all. I heard a recirculating catch-can is legal, as long as its plumb back, not the ones with the small filter on top.

Regency is a full inspection, no matter if it says minor.

bad bushes, leaks, worn seatbelts, turbo timers are all bad.

My mates bro knows someone who had engineered coilovers (spent $3k to get it done) and the guys at regency said no we dont like em :D

make it as stocker as possible, and roadworthy :laugh:

Edited by Bl4cK32

Cheers Fella's,

Yeh, Catchcan has the filter on the top, so thats coming out. Officer didnt say anything about it at the time about it, but i had a hinting feeling it wasnt going to be something regency like. Cheers about the harness information with the turbo timer -> according to the officer turbo timer = instant regency.

In respect to tyre sizes, are 17's to big for an R32 gts-t? And is there a minimum gap between the wheel arch and the Tyre itself? Anyone recommend any places to remove the turbo timer? I would do it myself but id rather someone who knows completely what they are doing to do it. At least i have proof that is has been removed if regency say anything.

Thanks again. Much appreciated

Dan

Edited by DC_GTST

Yeh, Catchcan has the filter on the top, so thats coming out. Officer didnt say anything about it at the time about it, but i had a hinting feeling it wasnt going to be something regency like. Cheers about the harness information with the turbo timer -> according to the officer turbo timer = instant regency.

Remove everything regards to the turbo timer, if asked when the inspection starts I'd say it was the previous owner, and I sit in the car for a few minutes more. If you don't remove the harness and it is found then you can expect a more thorough inspection.

Also, cleaning engine I did it in 3 stages. First at home to remove the easy stuff, then I went down later and used a HP hose and degrease from oneof the those self serve wash stations. I inspected the car afterwards and noted areas I missed, then later I resprayed the engine bay specifically in those areas. My engine bay was so clean you could smell the dust burning.

I also kept the car running during the sprays and did not spray around spark plugs, altenator and battery.

dc gtst - what was it exactly that you got defected for, ride height/catch can/tt??

For the turbo timer only. It was actually not in site at all. Then the officer asked me if i had one, and then he said he was going to turn the car on...and then off. So i had no choice. The other things were on the car when he checked it (the catchcan, BOV and manual boost controller)... didnt say anything. But he wasnt the wisest on the mods as it seemed.

For the turbo timer only. It was actually not in site at all. Then the officer asked me if i had one, and then he said he was going to turn the car on...and then off. So i had no choice. The other things were on the car when he checked it (the catchcan, BOV and manual boost controller)... didnt say anything. But he wasnt the wisest on the mods as it seemed.

What are you talking about??? "Yeah this BOV is recirculating... with no recirculating pipework" :)

What are you talking about??? "Yeah this BOV is recirculating... with no recirculating pipework" :rofl:

;) LOL. Yeh, a hose coming off the BOV has to be recirculating :( And he just stared at the other components and didnt bother asking.

Quick questions before i decide to take the car in (next couple of weeks)

1. Does a centre light within the cabin be seen as a defect? (blown at the moment, will replace)

2. What are some of the heights people have been given here for the minimum height between the centre of the wheel and the guard? I've had two so far. One said 365mm for front and 355mm for back, other said 360mm all the way around, which is higher than stock from what I read. :s

Am a little confused as car is at stock height at the moment yet from measurements i could barely make 340mm gap all the way round.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there Guys,

Car's going into regency tomorrow and was just wondering before it goes in what do they look for in terms of gear knobs. I have a metallic one at the moment but there is no gear pattern on it. I'm deciding whether to put my bro's stock one on for tomorrow, but wanted to know if anyone had any ideas whether a sports metallic gear knob is defectable?

Dan ;)