SAU Community

Regency Experiences

Steve

Originally posted by Steve

And Timmmayyy, I did get told that about mods, when I started asking him specifics about mods, he told me to just bring the car down once it is all done.

That's very kind of him.

Someone else I talked to before, told me to return the mod to where I purchase it. I was then told to get it emission check only.

I called back another time and they now said I need emission test and engineering report ;)

BTW What has it got to do with the government whether a more powerful car need a brake upgrade? I thought braking distance is related to mass, brake efficiency and SPEED. There is no relation to power at all unless one speed or brake and gas at the same time. Does the government automatically think that you will break the speed limit with a more powerful car?

Good work Steve.

When you have your petition ready I will gladly support/sign with my email. I think we should use email names rather than our real names to save hassle later on.

Justice is a crock of shit.. i been doing law for 7 years.

The law is the law and to be they seem to make it all up as they go along and manipulate the system as they see fit... I have never ever seen any one win a case against SAPOL.. EVER...

Sucks dont it....

Yep Cheeky is right - the system is so easily manipulated.

Just spoke to one of the guys here and he said there's not really much you can do except try to get the issue investigated, which is not easy!

He agrees that collecting statements, taking stat decs, writing to the AG etc are good ways to try and get someone to take notice of whats going on, but in all honesty, it will probably always happen and they will continue to interpret the laws how they wish. In the long term there's not much we can really do about it :(

More power = better acceleration = reduced reaction time = increase braking capacity to compensate.

The thing is, I have looked into this extensively, and the only reference I could find to increasing brakes co-incides with increasing capacity. I dont think this is a bad thing, but I dont see why it should cost you 2K+ to have a report drawn up and then have the guys at regency throw their two bobs worth in and fail it because they are in a bad mood.

Over east, guys can get a engine swap certified for under $200, brake upgrade, less than $100. I rang a guy in sydney (who is fully certified, and a member of IE Aust, and SAE-A) he quoted me no more than $500 for a car with sus mods, turbo mod, clutch, brakes, cams, plenum, exhuaust, ECU and EBC. And the guys in NSW dont have their certs questioned because they are experts, not the guys doing the examining.

Alot of mods can get certs when you go through vehicle inspection stations. WA is a good example, costs $30 for up to 6 mods, $60 for up to 12. The inspection station will look at it, if its all done correctly and nothing is faulty (ie they inspect it) they will issue you with a cert.

So when you are pulled ove and a copper says 'that pod doesnt look legal' you pull out the cert, he pulls his head in. Its alot fairer than the system here.

I hear what you guys are saying about the legal system. But dammit, I am sick of sitting back whist guys are being raped by these bullshit rules and apparent discriminate defecting without having any bloody knowledge of what they are actually defecting - the burden of proof should be belong to the law, not the individual - and being penalise becuase a cop 'thinks' something 'may' be illegal is totally unnaceptable.

And my other main bitch is, if we are expected to comply with these laws - there is a duty to provide copies of the laws to concerned individuals, to do otherwise, AFAIK, is not legal, and these buggers that wont supply the info that they expect people ot comply with should be lined up and taken to task. THEY are not the law, THEY must follow the law like everyone else.

If you think this is being excessive, I give you the example of a guy who owns a mechanicaal workshop (names not necessary, but I guarantee you all would know who I am talking about) he told me that he isnt sure, sometimes they pass cars with certain mods, sometimes they dont. Business is also starting to get pissed off.

Oh, and as for investigation, I already have an ear at the AG office, who would has expressed an interest, and has given me pointers to ensure it is investigated.

Apparently the consumer commision is on a bit of a 'freedom of information' gig at the moment:D

"More power = better acceleration = reduced reaction time = increase braking capacity to compensate"

I dont think there is any proven research to prove that:

better acceleration = reduced reaction time

Reaction time is an individual thing.

It's another BS from government :(

Good work Steve - hopefully your ear at the AG's office can do something to help out!! :(

Also, legally they should provide you with a copy of the ADRs if you request a copy. There is no reason whatsoever that they should refuse a copy to anyone - its definitely not their problem if you can understand the ADRs or not! Thats a pretty poor excuse that they're using!

9krpm, the faster you travel, means the further you move during any give period of time, ie, the distance traveled will increase before you can react.

I am not sure if this is the reasoning or not. I could only find reference to a requirement to ensure that brake capacity is not exceeded when the cubic capacity of an engine is increased beyond 155 of the largest displacement engine fitted in that model car, ie, if you owned a CA18 powered S13, then fitted an SR20, you could increase the capacity to 2.3L without doing any brake upgrades, however if you went to 2.4L, you would be required to do testing to ensure braking capacity is not exceeded - this is laid out in the road traffic act.

Thanks Miss*33, I have ordered a copy.

I wonder why the regency guy I spoke to never knew of the existance. And that he couldnt provide any guidance to me, the customer. More points to raise.:(

Now I just need to find out how and why regency apply the rules, as there is so much discrepency between different states, they must have guildlines for the application. Or maybe they dont and this is the problem?

Steve, that's the point I am making.

It's SPEED (=heavy right foot :)) and not ACCELERATION (=power of the car) that affects the braking distance. The government just like to confuse this point to make more $$$. The government just automatically, or should I say undeducately or what ever their motive was, assumed that the more powerful car will travel faster. We all know that speed has nothing to do with power of the car....it's how you drive it.

Thank you for your research about the engine size vs braking capacity. That is very helpful for my case :( Thx