SAU Community

Hicas

That's exactly what I had but without the heavy steering. :) Definite crab walk. Happens at higher speeds like 80km/h and you need to steer into it and if slow down quick a flick out of it. I recently had work done on the suspension but the steering wheel is not that straight after the alignment and wondered if that had anything to do with it...? Speedo cable is all good.

well if the steering wheel isn't straight that'll be your problem. there are two sensors up in on the steering column that tell the HICAS ecu that you are turning the steering wheel and which way. if your traveling along at at higher speeds, when HICAS becomes active, and because your steering wheel isn't straight the steering sensor is registering that you are turning the steering wheel, even though you really aren't, it will make the HICAS start steering. if your ok to do it yourself just pop the steering wheel off and line it up straight, or just take it back to the place that did the alignment and tell them to sort it out.

Having a think the sensors aren't in the wheel itself, so the wheel could be on upside down and it wouldn't effect anything. Looks like I'll have to lock up the HICAS.

Having a think the sensors aren't in the wheel itself, so the wheel could be on upside down and it wouldn't effect anything. Looks like I'll have to lock up the HICAS.

correct the sensors are mounted to the steering column and the steering wheel boss activates the sensors when you turn the wheel. you should be able to slide the whole steering wheel boss off and jump it over a spline. it will require a fair bit of persuasion to get it off though.

correct the sensors are mounted to the steering column and the steering wheel boss activates the sensors when you turn the wheel. you should be able to slide the whole steering wheel boss off and jump it over a spline. it will require a fair bit of persuasion to get it off though.

Okay, sweet. Thanks again Josh.

if you havent removed a steering wheel before, be VERY careful and dont remove the nut completely before you attempt to remove the wheel. leave it on a few turns so it doesnt smack you in the face when youre wiggling it off!

Thing is, if the steering wheel wasn't removed immediately prior to this issue, it can't have moved on the spline.

Removing the wheel and re-orienting it will not correct the original source of the problem.

The rack centre position could be offset to one side, causing your problem.

You should turn the wheel from centre to lock in each direction counting the number of turns, if it is unequal in either direction, any adjustment should be made at the rack ends with the rack centred.

Then you can be sure that your rack (and therefore) steering column and wheel are centred correctly.

Good luck.

That's exactly what I had but without the heavy steering. :) Definite crab walk. Happens at higher speeds like 80km/h and you need to steer into it and if slow down quick a flick out of it. I recently had work done on the suspension but the steering wheel is not that straight after the alignment and wondered if that had anything to do with it...? Speedo cable is all good.

what work did you have done to the suspension? height adjustment by any chance?

if you havent removed a steering wheel before, be VERY careful and dont remove the nut completely before you attempt to remove the wheel. leave it on a few turns so it doesnt smack you in the face when youre wiggling it off!

Hahaha I've done it a couple of times so won't have that problem!

Thing is, if the steering wheel wasn't removed immediately prior to this issue, it can't have moved on the spline.

Removing the wheel and re-orienting it will not correct the original source of the problem.

The rack centre position could be offset to one side, causing your problem.

You should turn the wheel from centre to lock in each direction counting the number of turns, if it is unequal in either direction, any adjustment should be made at the rack ends with the rack centred.

Then you can be sure that your rack (and therefore) steering column and wheel are centred correctly.

Good luck.

Great post, thanks for that.

might also been the rack bushes too! if they are stuffed, it will cause the rack to move also. its possible its just jammed in the wrong position.

I only just had them done. If some things weren't done correctly can that lead to these issues?

what work did you have done to the suspension? height adjustment by any chance?

Bilstien coilovers, cambers kits and traction rods and all sorts of random shit. I really don't know a whole lot about suspension sorry. :( But definitely height has changed, it's certainly lower.

• 1 year later...

open your eyes before your mouth please

pull ur head in smartass, i was making a valid point about a possible scenario. which has nobody has proven otherwise or posted anything to the contrary. its entirely possible that if the front washed out on turn in, that the rear turning away from the corner could turn you off the road/track. maybe not a common situation but possible none the less.