SAU Community

Where To Get Custom (quiet) Exhaust Made

Astro Bear

Thanks anyway mate, but i kept the stock exhaust, so i'm gonna change it back on the weekend. I think I might get a kakimoto regu 06&r cat back in the near future. I've heard they're pretty quiet, i still don't think it will beat 90bd though. Probably a bit cheaper than the $1500+ quote I got to make a custom 3 inch cat back that will flow well and meet EPA requirements.

I have read a lot about them and was planning too to get 1 for myself but nobody has even posted the dB figures. I've never heard from for myself too so... its a bit of a bet on my side if I where to buy it. JustJap have them instock now and the price was 1099 (didnt see if its delivered or not) but if you can get a custom highflow that passed epa for 1500, I will go that way to get rid of the problem as a whole. I dont think any Jap will pass the 90dB its just that some will be around the 90-92dB range which will be sufficient to not get any attention from the blue guys and they should be below 90 if you dont rev it (thats what I normally do when I pass by, sometime I even throw it into free gear or clutch in..)

The exhaust I have is a full 3 inch turbo back, with nothing but a hi flow cat, hot dog and a cannon lol. It's ridiculously loud, hence why I really need to change it. I'll change it back to stock for the EPA test and then look for something more suitable. Even if the exhaust was CLOSE to the 90db I would be happy. I've been doing some research, it looks like the Kakimoto o6&r might be a winner, or maybe the fujitsubo. Does anyone know of any other off the shelf cat backs that would be close to 90db?

or spend the money on a custom legal exhaust...

or spend the money on a custom legal exhaust...

I think this is the way to go. Might as well do it right the first time. I plan on putting the stock airbox back on as well and making the entire car legal 100%. That way I can't be harrassed. The only I thing I plan on having which is illegal is the boost controller. If there was some way I could avoid having this, I would do it, but want to run 10-12psi. Any ideas?

I think this is the way to go. Might as well do it right the first time. I plan on putting the stock airbox back on as well and making the entire car legal 100%. That way I can't be harrassed. The only I thing I plan on having which is illegal is the boost controller. If there was some way I could avoid having this, I would do it, but want to run 10-12psi. Any ideas?

32gtst wastegate actuator

I just bought a nice Kokimoto Jasma approved full stainless exhaust in excellent condition for $300, go to those places where they import cars, they're usually import these cars with those exhausts on and take them off once they compliance them.

Nice buy at that price.

Just in case you didn't already know, to get JASMA approval, the exhaust volume must be under 95dB.

Nice buy at that price.

Just in case you didn't already know, to get JASMA approval, the exhaust volume must be under 95dB.

What kind of muffler is that in your signature? The oval one. Looks great. I think I should get something like that as part of my new exhaust as I've heard they can be a bit quieter. Must get rid of this cannon lol.

What kind of muffler is that in your signature? The oval one. Looks great. I think I should get something like that as part of my new exhaust as I've heard they can be a bit quieter. Must get rid of this cannon lol.

that is what i was getting at.... twin tip suits the R33 bar, single tip suits R32... choose from here: http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/univers....asp?shape=oval

something like this http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/display...artnumber=14221 or http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd...ain&id=8008

Nice buy at that price.

I know if they test it it might not pass by a whisker, however it's more so the police don't report hassle you for an extreme loud exhaust.

get a varex exhaust , you can tune how loud you want you'r car to be. You can have it dead quite or you can have it loud as you want Lol.

Pity a Varex muffler is still totally illegal... and therefore nothing more than a waste of money.

Exactly. No point getting an exhaust that is 92dB, or 94dB... You need to have 90dB or less.

Lets face it, 90dB @ 4700rpm NO LOAD on the motor is one thing, but to them be driving on the road @ 4700rpm under full load, its no where near 90dB.

The lovely officers of the law (and EPA) do not understand or recognise this, and hence you get reported and you will fail if you are that "1-2"dB over regardless.

Application of the law is totally wrong, so until the Gov't fixes it - which will never happen - you must play it their way.

Spend the money, get it quite the first time, then rockup when they wrongfully report you. I assure you, you will still be reported for EPA's even if you have a legal exhaust.

There is no law/ruling or otherwise that says an officer cannot do it. So if they want to be a prick, you'll be go to the EPA regardless.

Exactly. No point getting an exhaust that is 92dB, or 94dB... You need to have 90dB or less.

Lets face it, 90dB @ 4700rpm NO LOAD on the motor is one thing, but to them be driving on the road @ 4700rpm under full load, its no where near 90dB.

The lovely officers of the law (and EPA) do not understand or recognise this, and hence you get reported and you will fail if you are that "1-2"dB over regardless.

Application of the law is totally wrong, so until the Gov't fixes it - which will never happen - you must play it their way.

Spend the money, get it quite the first time, then rockup when they wrongfully report you. I assure you, you will still be reported for EPA's even if you have a legal exhaust.

There is no law/ruling or otherwise that says an officer cannot do it. So if they want to be a prick, you'll be go to the EPA regardless.

That's when you get the name of the officer through freedom of information and lodge a formal complaint / call the ombudsman right? I have learnt a lot through your posts, R31nismoid (seriously, i'm not taking the piss here). How does one go about lodging a freedom of information request in order to get this information?

Do you think $1500 for a hi flow (yet quiet) cat back is a good price?

But you can't do that if your exhaust is 91dB :)

Only 90dB and below - which means you gotta go better than a "jasma" approved in a lot of instances. Not all "jasma" approved are 90dB or under.

FOI Laws - not sure. I'll cross that bridge when i come to it... which knowing me, wont be too long.

$1500 for a quiet, cat back, is a good price IMO if its legal. Price of legalities isn't cheap at times.

I paid 780 for a mild steel with mild mid and stainless rear muffler on the stagea, would of been 1200ish+ all stainless with the two magnaflow stainless mufflers, Rowville exhaust centre do good work.

Just quick, i got tested a little while ago n got 87db with a fujisubo exhaust 3.5inch on my r34 gtr. Its a great exhaust and i was really surprised with the noise so definitely worth a look at for an off-the-shelf item which is legal.