SAU Community

Problems With R34 After Comming Out Of Storage

Hello all,

My R34 GT has been in storage for the last few months. Have just bought it out to start cleaning it up and doing some work on it.

Battery was dead which is to be expected... Started it up with jumpers and left it to run for a good 20 minutes.

However the main problem is there appears to be a grinding sound coming from the engine bay. (sounds like a mix of grinding and a sort of hissing noise you get with a small high pressure leaky pipe)..

No engine check lights.. reset the ECU and still no check lights... Temps and oil all seem fine...

The sound itself seems to be coming from the Air intake rather than the engine itself. You can put your ear right next to the pod filter I have installed and hear it quite clearly. However when moving your ear upto the engine everything sounds reasonably fine..

Any ideas what it could be?.. From what I can tell it has to be echoing down from the air intake...

hissing sound could simply be your induction sound from the pod filter.. Don't know about the grinding sound.

I have tried taking the pod filter off and just chucking a piece of cheese cloth in front of the intake.. Still get the same noise..

- also tried the above before the intake sensor.. Same

Has to be coming from further up :rofl:

does it change at all when you rev it or put it under load? i have a hissing sound coming from mine. happend when i put the turbo on and since after taking it off is still there. not sure what it is but theories are the injector O rings (one of them) might have a crack or something, or possibly the gasket for the intake plenum.

as for the grinding noise, what part of the motor is it coming from?

Depending on how long you left it, oil can sometimes separate/settle. Give it a change along with your oil filter.

If you are going to store a car for long amounts of time it is highly recommended to change all fluids before storing it.