SAU Community

Gday fellow SAUers

i am currently looking at purchasing my first car, the car is an R33 GTR and is puting out about 300KW atw on a safe tune, the owner has a HKS twin plate clutch, i was wondering how this is to drive, he said it will take a while to get used to as its pretty much on/off but once you get the hang of it its pretty nice when shifting gears etc, i have heard great things about Jim berry and his clutches, and i was wondering if he could do anything to make the clutch feel more smoother or standard if i find it very difficult to drive,

any feedback would be appreciated,

cheers

Adam

All ive heard is that the HKS twins are painful. Like all after market clutches there are 'tricks' you have to learn to be able to drive them in traffice smoothly. It can be done too. But, if you try and drive the car like it has a normal clutch in it, you'll hate it and any passengers you have in the car will think you probably only hold an auto license.

Nismo would have been a better choice. Once you go nismo you dont even try anything else. They are that good.

Edited by GTRNUR

I had a HKS twin plate when I first bought the car as it came with it.

A bitch to drive with, there is not much play at all, it's either In or Out and if your not careful you can stall the car.

The make a bit of noise but that's not a problem.

They are great for high RPM launches and once your use to it, it's not a problem.

One of those Nismo clutch slave cylinders might help, or it might do nothing, just an option. Might be worth researching into it though.

I had a Nismo Clutch Slave Cylinder as well, but it need replacing earlier this year.

It's back to standard Nissan Clutch Slave Cylinder... To be honest, I can't feel much difference at all.

• 5 weeks later...

i just got the nismo twin plate coppermixer n i got the nismo clutch slave.

only done few hundred k's on it so far but early thoughts are its a pain in the ass for normal driving. and also very girly light wieght on that pedal.

im hoping it will get easier in time but lets just say i wont be taking any dates in it for a while, less i wanna see that expensive dinner on the inside of my windshield.

i went from ceramic single plate that was heavy as hell prior to this and i loved that clutch till it started slipping. im under the impression it was just old as it come with the car and n held good for a couple of years. but with that clutch i could take off pretty well without even using the accelarator still be nice n smooth.

It comes down to how you try and drive them too. You cant drive a twin plate (nismo or other) like a normal clutch. They just wont becuase they grip so well.

If you try and slip the clutch a little when pullng away from the lights the clutch plates will grab and slip rapidly as the springs load up and release. This makes a terrible sound not to mention this eats up your plates quickly.

The way I drive with a twin plate in traffic is to bring the revs up a little more than you would if you were driving with a normal clutch, then let up the quickly but get off the accelerator so clutch engagement slows engine speed. With practice you can get the car rolling and have the engine speed around 1000 rpm with the clutch fully engaged then drive normally.

Granted you cant do this in bumper to bumper traffic and it tends to piss off tailgaters because you cant ride the ass of the car in front of you, but it does make your driving a lot smoother to the point that unless your passenger is watching what your doing they wont even pickup on it.

they are a bit difficult to get used to as everyone else has pointed out, but once you get the friction point sorted its no problem and very bitey on the uptake, and again has everyone else has said they make a bit of noise but are decent if you are making that kind of power

yeah im about ready to eat my words about the clutch now, done about 800ks with it more or less few days worth of driving and now i can take off a smoother. had to do 1 infront of a cop that put a lil pressure on me not to spin the wheels :bunny:

trying to learn while getting sh*tted off with it prob didnt help :)

now im having trouble driving my daily after as ill be slowly letting the clutch out waiting for the sudden bite.

im guessing in a couple of months it will become 2nd nature more or less.

Edited by Inline 6