SAU Community

Advice On Tyres

on the other hand anyone tried Kumho KU31?

I had them on a previous car, they were a pretty good balance of price, grip, road noise and wear. Actually I did have them very briefly on my current car on the 18's, only drove about 50km and since the car hadn't been registered/insured for about half of that I was taking it pretty easy :D I seem to remember they were the second cheapest tyre in stock size that had the right sizes available front and back but at that size and profile it's more the performance end of the market...

My favourite tyres (previous car again) were Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's, heaps of grip, really quiet, excellent in the wet but cost a bit more.

I tend to find if you care about performance with tyres, you are better off spending a bit more and getting something good, because if you get crap tyres you've got to put up with them for a long time.

Tire rack I think is ok for a bit of research:

Tirerack 2003 Infinity G35

For example Kumho KU31's aka Ecsta SPT's get a rating of 6.9 but are among much more expensive tyres with similar ratings.

they are a cheap and nasty tyre that belong on korean cars. if you cant afford the tyre then you cant afford the rims. doesnt make a lot of sense to me to spend a lot of $$ on a sports car to put shit tyres on it and undo all of the manufacturers work.

if u want cheap + reasonably good tyres...get the Federal's 595 or Archilles ATR they are cheaper than the nankangs with better grip and less road noise. Dont know about wear rate though coz i've never kept a set of wheels long enough to wear the tyres out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Cant help you with the Michelin, however I recently (3 weeks ago) replaced my two front tyres from BF Goodrich (came from Japan on the car and the same models are not available in Aus) to Yokahama Advan Sports (245x19 35).

Since changing, it appears the front have WAY more grip. The Traction control kicks in much later; it is now more me that holds back on corners than reaching the point that the traction control kicks in.

I have noticed if I do try to push it to find the grip break point, the rears (Falken FK452 285x19 35) will break first. Not a fan of over-steer but at least I know the fronts are grippy. I am expecting pretty low KM's from these, but I could be wrong.

Only had experience with a little rain thus far, but so far, pretty happy. They are not cheap. I think retail is over 400 each.

nankangs suck what on earth are you guys thinking running shit tyres on a sports car?tyres have a bigger effect on handling than ANY other component.

get the best tyres you can afford,at a minimum something like Bridgestone Adrenalin, Dunlop Sport maxx or Yoko S.Drive or similar..

I had Yokohama Advan Sport which were good,now running Bridgestone RE11s which are really good!

i would consider a better tyre in a narrower size over a crap tyre in a wider size too.

Nankang is probably better than chinese ebay tyres...

if youre like me, and you only need tyres to stop your rims touching the ground and to last forever, then anything chinese is fine. but if you want grip in corners... spend the extra $$ but expect a short tyre life.

ive seen Simex used on the track in the wet and do well.....

i can't fault my Achiles ATR Sports. Had them on the car since September, tread still looks the day that i put them on minus the nipples. I do alot of spirited driving, i don't break traction very often either so that's probably why. But the car is my daily, i am happy with these tyres but my next set would probably be some Federal 595's. Achiles ATR's are a noisy tyre, but i always have windows up music on and aircon so i never notice it.