SAU Community

350hp From A $700 Ebay Turbo Td05h-20g

usmair

hey guys,

ok here is the story

my mate has a 2000 WRX... with all the usual mods... he is now in the market for a turbo

now keep in mind that this guy likes to cut corners... he will always go for 2nd hand/cheaper goods... so he is hooked on this idea...

and he keeps tellin me that with this turbo and a tune on his standard computer (dunno how good wrxy comps r) he shud b hitting somewhere around 350hp on all 4 wheels...

and since my GT3071R will be going in soon... considering how much i paid for it... im very intersted to see if a $700 ebay turbo will essentially give him the same type of power as my $3000 turbo...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/93-07-GC8-GDA-GDB-W...id=p3286.c0.m14

now im a bit of a skeptic and like to check everything b4 i make a purchase... especially off ebay

but i dunno shit about those turbos and dunno anything about EJ20s so can any1 on here with knowledge on these two topics help me out..

1. Will this work?

2. I'd be expecting a shitload of lag.. what kind of driveability will this thing have?

3. Will it make 350hp? reliably?

4. Will it blow up into little pieces and f*k my mates engine?

thanks guys

I wouldn't put that on my lawnmower man.

There's a heap of threads covering cheap shit eBay turbos man.

My opinion is no, it's not worth skimping money at the risk of taking your entire engine out.

Well considering this is a skyline forum - its fairly unlikely.

Either way 350hp @ all 4, is 260awkw. There is no way known to man a 440hp turbo, is going to do that.

WRX is a fulltime 4WD, @ 300awkw you are making over 500hp

And you certainly cannot do it without full tune (aftermarket or chip), injectors and all the other usual supporting mods.

Tell your mate, who is clearly a muppet with no idea, to post his idea's and claims on a WRX forum and watch them laugh at him.

That is all we are going to do here because not even 1% of users of this forum own a WRX, but simply logic you cannot defy...

Pointless thread IMO.

i agree that i wont get much info on here but I trust the opinions on here more than on any other forum... which is why i posted

im just trying to get some real world examples of shitty ebay turbos ruining engines... even if they do not relate to a wrx...

but even just the 2 responses I have received so far which clearly point out that ebay turbos are rubbish should make him think twice

so cheers for that... :)

and on the whole standard computer thing...

I keep telling him that there is no way a standard computer tune will do the job properly...

but he said he went to MRC and the bloke over there said he could do a better job tuning the standard comp rather than working on an aftermarket computer...

dunno shit about WRX's so i cant really argue with him over them...

cheap turbo's belong on cheap nasty horrod drift cars. on cars where people dont build motors, just replace the bottom end after every round or 2 with another rb30e bottom end, which they can obtain for a cheap nasty corton of beer.

on a street car that serves as transport and is your pride and joy.... no no no.

the wrx whilst a great car is an expensive platform and needs $ to get good power from it

a skyline typical gtst can output 200rwkw no problems on standard turbo and piggyback, 12psi

thats because its an inline6 2.5 litre

the wrx is a 2.0, v4 cylinder engine so its smaller, less cylinders and it has a larger turbo

to get any power out of them you have to really wind the boost up on them

that td05-20g is tiny, its probably smaller the factory EJ20 turbocharger

the stock turbo is actually quite large for standard spec

WRX, EVO, SR20.. doen't change the basic laws that govern making horsepower. It's a 2L, 4 cyl.

Cheap turbo's are cheap for a reason.

They dont have the hours of testing behind them to prove how good their product is..

They dont test the turbo to see how or when it will fail and make the unit bullet proof.

Take Garrett, they stand by their product, openly state how many hours they have tested it for, and show some of the tests!

This goes for all other top brands (all the dear ones!).

Cutting corners on a turbo is just plain STUPID! Plain and simple. After he blows that junker up (and it WILL blow up!),

He needs a tow home, he has to buy yet another turbo, (and maybe another engine), clean the intercooler and pipes out, waste time doing all said work... Add all that up!

Thats a VERY expensive turbo by the time the car is going again.

Now about the actual power your wanting to make...? Do we need to go any further???

If he buys it and bolts it up it probably will make power, but it will also probably laggier that the equivalent sized turbo. Now in that saying that it will make power; it might make it more than once, it might even make it through the dyno session, he might even get 500km's on it, the the chances of him getting more than 12 months out of it are very slight.

Having owned WRX's for 5 years and spending close to 20g on mods, i can tell you a 2000 WRX with an unopened engine will not be reliable over 220kw ATW. The TD05-20g can indeed allow 260kw, BUT thats on a built motor running lots of timing and over 20psi boost. There is nothing wrong with the TD05 turbo's, they are proven reliable, and have seen some quick 1/4mile times, breaking into the 11's etc.

You do not have to buy a $4,000 name brand turbo to get a good turbo these days.

ok so ive checked the advert and i actually thought it was a trust td05-20g

but its an actual td05-20g equivalent turbocharger in size and looks

there are no tags, id plates or specifications/numbers on the covers, housings or components

it looks like a very cheap, ordinary typical ebay spec turbocharger

their warranty is 3 months and it cant be used for any illegal street racing

so im not sure how they would "validate" the illegal street racing

bolt it on and watch the shaft mangle itself

a sub $2k turbocharger is top of the range, highest spec not only in parts, components, well matched and suited

correctly spec'd wheels, trim and housing and not to mention the dump setup, intake snout etc

the bearings, oil fittings, and assembly are top notch and balanced correctly.

the unit will last's 100,000kms + and doesn't miss a beat - from a manufacturer who has been making turbochargers for trucks and cars since 1936

but here's this no brander spec turbocharger for $700 and people expect the world from sub $500+ ebay turbochargers

for that WRX guy the standard turbo on his car is probably better spec than this ebay one

thats pretty comon these days, a lot of skyline guys find cheap ebay turbos for $500 and they are pathetic

the standard hitachi unit is better and more reliable. i mean my hitachi turbocharger is 213,000km old and still flies with 12psi up it

if you want to fit a new turbocharger to your car, budget $2k for the turbocharger

its like buying a new plasma tv or LCD tv

sure you can buy a new unit for $600 under some ching chong brand

but no one does, they are junkers, poor warranty, poor basic units

everyone goes for the nice flashy $2500 pioneer, sony etc as they are a good well known brand

well known parts, reputable warranty, they can go back to their local jb hifi and get help etc

what on earth - its frustrating and heartbreaking when guys buy these junker turbochargers, expect a reliable setup

and to make more power and less lag only to have it mangle everything, not to mention nothing mates up during install

EJ20's don't really like biggish turbos , TD05's aren't huge but enough to make ram raider lose its bottom end .

From memory the 20G compressor is ~ 68mm OD in a largish trim , your GT3071R's compressor is 71mm 56T and in a reasonably substantial T04E comp cover .

I don't remember the TD05H turbines dimensions , I always thought they were a little agricultural anyway .

The real cats whisker (OEM) on a street driven ant eater isn't a TD05 at all , it's the rare JDM TD04HL-15T . Every cap on backwards drain pipe thief thinks all TD04's are rubbish . The "HL" version of the TD04 turbine is hardly small and they work quite well for a street car . If you really like Rex's pull out all the stops and use the factory twin scroll gear - it works .

350 at the claws with a 20G based turbo , and a copy of one as well ? Rehab time ...