SAU Community

5 Speed Auto Oil Change

My car has just clocked up 61K

I doubt any fluids where changed when it was imported @ 54k due to the engine oil not looking fresh + the jap oil filter I discovered when i changed the engine oil a month later myself

So with that in mind I think its time to change the oil as we all know the old owners in japan don’t usually keep up with servicing

I gave the only nissan dealer in town a call knowing they would get freaked out if i asked for anything about a V35 skyline, i asked what the oil service life for the 350z auto is. I was told that it is 40k with every major service, however the local nissan dealer then told me that they dont work on many 350zs and usually get a local auto trans shop to do the auto service if required.

I then asked how much oil would be needed and was transferred to the service dept. The bloke on the phone told me that the auto required 2.9L which i said sounded a bit low for a auto trans to which he reconfirmed that 2.9L was all that was needed.

After checking on the net it seems that 10.3L is the amount required for an empty fill

So with my faith in the local dealership all but gone I am considering getting the local performance shop to change my oil when I get my new break discs fitted and kill 2 birds with one stone.

Now I would like to stick to the nissan matic J fluid that the dipstick states is the only one to use unlees I want serious damage done to the tranny. However I did a quick look on the nulon site and they have a synthetic fluid that meets Matic C/D/J/K needs.

So I should just use that or try the local nissan shop and ask for some matic J to which they will probaly think is a part number for a nissan patrol sway bar or something...

dam I hate living in a country bumpkin town

Edited by 180 wanabe

call a decent Nissan Workshop and talk to them...

I can suggest Rex Gorell Nissan - Geelong. Talk to Nissan Service Manager only....

Try a couple in Melbourne as well.

I believe Ferntree Gully is ok, can anyone confirm?

Just an idea and perhaps a Brisbane dealer could help?]

Nulon is good, even Motul has right stuff I think. Not sure the 5 sp is an issue but the right oil in the CV G/Box is paramount.

My car has just clocked up 61K

I doubt any fluids where changed when it was imported @ 54k due to the engine oil not looking fresh + the jap oil filter I discovered when i changed the engine oil a month later myself

So with that in mind I think its time to change the oil as we all know the old owners in japan don't usually keep up with servicing

I gave the only nissan dealer in town a call knowing they would get freaked out if i asked for anything about a V35 skyline, i asked what the oil service life for the 350z auto is. I was told that it is 40k with every major service, however the local nissan dealer then told me that they dont work on many 350zs and usually get a local auto trans shop to do the auto service if required.

I then asked how much oil would be needed and was transferred to the service dept. The bloke on the phone told me that the auto required 2.9L which i said sounded a bit low for a auto trans to which he reconfirmed that 2.9L was all that was needed.

After checking on the net it seems that 10.3L is the amount required for an empty fill

So with my faith in the local dealership all but gone I am considering getting the local performance shop to change my oil when I get my new break discs fitted and kill 2 birds with one stone.

Now I would like to stick to the nissan matic J fluid that the dipstick states is the only one to use unlees I want serious damage done to the tranny. However I did a quick look on the nulon site and they have a synthetic fluid that meets Matic C/D/J/K needs.

So I should just use that or try the local nissan shop and ask for some matic J to which they will probaly think is a part number for a nissan patrol sway bar or something...

dam I hate living in a country bumpkin town

They will know what Nissan J-Matic fluid is, its used in other models.

If you want to avoid possible transmission damage or failure, use the official stuff. Also, forget about the knob that told you 2.9L, it is 10.3L for a full flush and change.

Yeah I like nulon and am using nulon 5 w 30 in the engine with no complaints

I'll give the auto trans shop nissan told me they used a call and ask what oil they would put in it. I'll also ring nissan back and ask what they want for matic j, might also call up the gold coast or brisbane and see what they can send up @ what price for me

After a bit more reading on the net it seems s matic has replaced matic j

I'm on the same state of Confusion as you.

I have a drum of Mobil 1 ATF which also Matic-J spec. But seems the 350z/G35 American owner said don't put anything in there and stick with the genuine Matic-J. I just called the Nissan dealer they sell those ATF for Average $73/5L.

Also there are a lot of saying that you are NOT suppose to Flush the Transmission completely as it'll not do good on the transmission, but some people do and some people just drain the from the pan and refill whatever is drained.

I'm going to the route of not flushing it out completely, and do it myself, but drain the oil from the pan and refill it every 10,000km.

but let us know how you go.

Btw mine done 41000km.

Also there are a lot of saying that you are NOT suppose to Flush the Transmission completely as it'll not do good on the transmission, but some people do and some people just drain the from the pan and refill whatever is drained.

I'm going to the route of not flushing it out completely, and do it myself, but drain the oil from the pan and refill it every 10,000km.

I didn't get what was meant by not doing it all in one go?...so what you saying is that you will do it in steps?...e.g. Drain 3L then put in 3L till its all been changed?

If you are going Nissan fluid, ONLY use Matic J.

Should set you back ~$100 for 5L

I am using the Nulon you refer to in my M35.

Seems to be pretty good, but I have yet to drain it fully to find out.

Will be using Redline stuff next time.

Your trans should take 8.3L to fill from empty (as per the G35 manual). The extra 2L is used to make sure all the old oil is removed during a flush.

Maybe the Nissan guy meant that you trans needed 2.9L to top up?

Edited by iamhe77

I didn't get what was meant by not doing it all in one go?...so what you saying is that you will do it in steps?...e.g. Drain 3L then put in 3L till its all been changed?

Yes you drain 3L and put 3L in, but this is not complete change. It's just what the american's called Drain/Refill.

Here are most of the info that i have read and searched.

Automatic Flush for V35/G35 5 Speed Auto

Just try and read before you decide anything. If i want an easy one is drain/refill with the same Nissan Matic-J oil, which is recommended by Nissan dealer on America and same in Nissan Dealer in Australia. If you don't then complete flush it.

I checked the Lube guide at Mobil website and the 350z automatic they said "refer to Dealer" which is why i'm hesitant to put the mobil1 ATF even though it's within the Matic-J spec.

Decisions is yours really and it's your car, but i'm just passing on what the G35 owner in the USA have been discussing for a long time.

Cheers

Well i had a bit of a breakthrough today

One of the wanabe drifters @ work knows a guy who is a technician in the service department @ the local nissan dealer in town.

Unlike the last guy I spoke to he actually knew what the hell I was talking about and one of his mates has one of the only 350GT 4 doors with the 8 speed triptronic in town which despite being a different car/trans was still comforting to know.

Anyway Im going to be paying $95 per 5L bottel of nissan matic J, they have 1 bottle in stock and hes going to order another one in for me. I will be dropping in tomorrow morning to book the car in whenever the next available day is that suits my work roster and their work load.

Not sure on what the costs of labour are going to be as he just works on the cars and doesn’t do the bills, he said it would be about an hour to change the fluid. He offered to do the change @ his place for $50 + the cost of the oil however not personally knowing this guy I think id sooner pay what nissan wants and @ least have the peace of mind that is something goes wrong I can point the finger @ them and have it sorted rather than some random guy who works there.

Ill also get the front discs that I got through the group buy fitted and have new "non OEM" pads done @ the same time as I am somewhat time poor and would sooner get 2 jobs done @ once then try and save a few $$$ going to different workshops for different jobs.

Anyhow ill keep everyone updated on what the cost of all this works out to be

I went to nissan today to book the car in for its trans oil change

All seemed to be going well till I was asked for the rego which didint come up in their system. I was then asked what car I had so I told the lady behind the desk it was a V35 skyline, to which i got a strange look and was asked "is that an import ? whats broken in it?".... got to love living out in flamin mongrel-ry bumpinknsville

Now to top that off the soonist they can do the oil change is 3/9/09 just over 2 weeks away... This seems like a long time to me, however iv never had to get work done on a car by a dealer

I havent been given costings yet but about 1 and 1/2 hours for the trans and about the same again to fit my front discs and change pads

Imports have been coming into Aus for 20 years now and some of the new car manufacturers still treat us like we are driving spaceships! In saying that, some dealerships can be very good with parts service for imports but there are many who hardly give us the time of day - very frustrating.

Good luck with your trans oil change and brakes, hope all goes well for you, I'm sure it will, the cars are manufactured by the same company so when the mechanics are doing the job it all makes sense.

last time i checked, a car is a car, and all the major bits are the same, so i dont know why dealers are so scared!

Yeah i know it shits me so much when you considor that under the body panels a 350z and V35 are basicaly the same. At least when I was living on the Gold Coast and had my 180sx the big nissan dealer there was ok when it came to getting things like replacement belts, water pumps and filters etc.

its not like FAST doesnt give them all the information they need anyway. lazy, just like my old mechanic. didnt want to do the clutch in my S15 because it was 'too fiddly'.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the trans oil changed today without any problems

was charged an hours labour for the auto service however @ $150 per hour thank goodness for that!

Only thing which was a bit strange was that they only used 1 bottel of fluid rather than 2

but car seems to be running fine gearbox still kicking down/holding gears as it allways has

yeah @ the dealer

If they only drained the pan im somewhat dissapointed, particually getting it done @ the dealer and having them bill me on my invoice for a transmission service....

however im happy to have some fresh oil in with the old oil for the moment and might get the job done right when i'm back on the coast