SAU Community

The Restoration...

stenve

Well as some of you may or may not know... a month or two ago my R33 was hit in the ass while i was parked at a red light.

after that incident the car ended up like this:

post-39016-1250761162_thumb.jpg

post-39016-1250761195_thumb.jpg

I then sold the car onto a friend who has taken to attempting to fix it up to use as a drift/track car or even re register it and drive it.

His progress so far:

1. Cut into bits

post-39016-1250761283_thumb.jpg

2. bent up boot floorpan replaced

post-39016-1250761334_thumb.jpg

3. Shell re-attached and taced on

post-39016-1250761409_thumb.jpg

post-39016-1250761446_thumb.jpg

Still alot of work to go yet obviously, but its coming along nicely

I was estimated $8000 - $11000 to have this repaired at a body shop.

So far he has spent $500 on a quarter cut from a wreckers and a fair few days of his time.

Next step is full weld up, grind back, then a million hours of sanding.

Just thought some of you guys might be interested as i think he's done a top job so far. (he has never attempted any body work bar flaring guards with a guard roller before)

Cheers

Steve

real nice job he's doing there

only suggestion i can make is to take more paint off around the joins before welding, dont want any weaknesses introducted through impurities in the weld

that and the normal tack move tack move process for panel welding.

hope it all works out clean

I did this to my silvia when i crashed it in the hills. joins between the rear taillights and half way down the left qtr panel... Like said above make sure you take your time with the welding... .8 sheet is too easy to warp... if you have a tig it's much easier... when your done make sure you seal the inside with zinc fortified paint or alike (and any panels that are to be spot welded back at the seams must be painted before they are joined..)

It's really not all that hard if you use common sense. best for me was finding a silvia at U-pull it. so got the whole qtr for $88 :P . cost me les than $130 all done with spray can paint (still needs a proper paint job but...)

Good that you can take some time over it, i had to get mine done in one sunday!!

no idea man haha, he seems to be doing alright though.

I'll ask him about it when i see him next though.

im pretty sure he's using it with gas but im not 100%

Wow, good shiz!

How good is your friend finding the CigWeld mig for welding body panels? I'm assuming you are using it with gas?

They are quite good value units, I am curious to see how good they are!

he's also looking for a rear windscreen, so if anyones got one let me know! cheers

Edited by stenve

top job man lookin like new exspecially for someone whos never done anything like that before

MESSAGE to everyone we all have what it takes to do something like this some of us are just lacking the balls !!

• 1 month later...

been a while since i've thrown up an update so heres where it's at now:

its all sanded back smooth and joined and aligned and in undercoat

post-39016-1254824504_thumb.jpg

front bar got a redoing as well

post-39016-1254824555_thumb.jpg

it cost him something like $400 for 2 litres of paint or something insane

Its a 3 step system which involves a silver base coat

then a diluted layer of green so it isnt so opaque and the silver shines through to create the gold pearl.

then the clear coat.

He's a bit scared to paint it now because he has to blend and somehow try to replicate the same green colour with his mixture.

any tips?

• 2 months later...