SAU Community

Need A Reputable/knowledgable Mechanic In Sydney Who Doesnt Charge And Arm And 2 Legs

gts-23q

Hey guys.

I am interested in any suggestions where I can take my r32 gtr for some 4wd diagnosing and powersteering/hicas issues.

I just want to find a place that doesn't charge more than a brain surgeon would eg CRD.

I mean even $60 a hour is cheap compared to $120/hr i think NASA chages less to build a space shuttle.

I know most people will say CRD or Advan know what they are doing but im sure there are smaller mechanics who know as much but are not as well known.

Simply i cannot justify $120/h fee for fixing a car. I guess im not the more money than brains kind of person.

So any suggestions will be much appreciated..

Also the problem is the 4WD isnt working properly front wont spin

computer flashing fault code 1 and 16.

Gsensor and right wheel sensor.

I rather have a propper mechanic look at it tho..

Also powersteering gets hard after 5 mins driving. Think its to do with Hicas and maybe due to the Hicas lock bar the person who owned it prior to me had fitted.

Anyhow thanks for your interest.

Im in Sydney so pls Sydney and greated Sydney area only cheers.

All my work gets done at Powertune Australia , he is in fairfield east fairfield , highly recomend him prices and service is great .

great thanks. i think i remember my borther mentioning that name for some reason. unless it was someone else.

I have heared someone in Granville is good with GTR's they have built a fast one recently. Wish i rememberd the name.

Thanks tho any recommendations are great.

Also does anyone think Buckey Street automotive are good? Anyone taken their cars there.?

think about it this way...what it takes CRD to sort out issues with GTR's would take Joe Average Mechanical at least twice as long.

As in anything in life you get what you pay for...pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Yeh I mean with ppl like CRD and the like. Youre moreso paying for the name rather than the service quality.

Im sure a lot of mechanics out there have great knowledge with GTR's and can probably do as good a job but not as well known or dont advertise.

It's not always the case where you pay more and always get better.

But i mean if you have money to burn why not. I just dont have too much to burn.

For me its just an issue of faultfinding and fixing. Not engine building or anything that technical so anyone with knowledge of Atessa and Hicas will be able to fix my gtr issues..

I mean you could pay a surgeon to cut your hair when a hairdresser will do a much better job for less..

Yeh I mean with ppl like CRD and the like. Youre moreso paying for the name rather than the service quality.

Im sure a lot of mechanics out there have great knowledge with GTR's and can probably do as good a job but not as well known or dont advertise.

It's not always the case where you pay more and always get better.

But i mean if you have money to burn why not. I just dont have too much to burn.

For me its just an issue of faultfinding and fixing. Not engine building or anything that technical so anyone with knowledge of Atessa and Hicas will be able to fix my gtr issues..

I mean you could pay a surgeon to cut your hair when a hairdresser will do a much better job for less..

Spending hours faultfinding...or taking it to someone who has massive experience with a certain make of car that knows what fails and what the symptoms are before you even walk in the door.

With CRD you are paying for more than just a name...they got their name through their reputation of being at the forefront of GTR development in this country. They were building and modifying these cars long before most of us on here even owned one. Their quality of work is some of the best in the industry.

your time and money...take your pick.

Edited by DiRTgarage

Spending hours faultfinding...or taking it to someone who has massive experience with a certain make of car that knows what fails and what the symptoms are before you even walk in the door.

With CRD you are paying for more than a name...they got their name through their reputation of being at the forefront of GTR development in this country. They were building and modifying these cars long before most of us on here even owned one.

Yeh i know youre point make sense. Butttt if you were CRD would you put the car on the hoist and find the right part and change it in 1 hour and give it back to me for $200 or would you find the fault in 5 mins. Keep the car for 5 weeks. Tell me how long you took and how many parts you had to test and change and why. Charge me $2000 for your efforts. If i were running the show I know what id be charging.

Unless you personally know a mechanic don't expect to be treated right.

Thats the real reason i asked the question. Someone might have had great experience elsewhere. Then again everyone might say CRD is the best and fairest. Who knows.. but id still like to get some more oppinions before i visit some workshops.

Wish i had a manual on the whole Atessa system id try find the prob myself. Dont think one exists if it does it prolly in japanese.

Wish they made gtr bit simpler. Although they are great how they are:)

for what it's worth...if it is showing g sensor and abs issues there is probably a loose connection or earth somewhere. so start by making sure all plugs are good at the attessa ecu, g sensor and pump above the diff. And consider running an extra earth to the attessa pumps.

I agree with Paul that tracking down tricky issues can be worth paying more for - and there are plenty of knoweldgable workshops other than CRD. Not sure who is good and local to the eastern suburbs though

Yeh i know youre point make sense. Butttt if you were CRD would you put the car on the hoist and find the right part and change it in 1 hour and give it back to me for $200 or would you find the fault in 5 mins. Keep the car for 5 weeks. Tell me how long you took and how many parts you had to test and change and why. Charge me $2000 for your efforts. If i were running the show I know what id be charging.

Thats the real reason i asked the question. Someone might have had great experience elsewhere. Then again everyone might say CRD is the best and fairest. Who knows.. but id still like to get some more oppinions before i visit some workshops.

Wish i had a manual on the whole Atessa system id try find the prob myself. Dont think one exists if it does it prolly in japanese.

Wish they made gtr bit simpler. Although they are great how they are:)

i have a manual, wiring diagrams and a fairly good knowledge of how the ATTESSA system works and 10 years experience of working on these cars...but im only 1 of hundreds of guys on here who could possibly help you. But your thread wasnt about us helping you it was asking about workshops and or mechanics who dont charge an arm and a leg, then you proceeded to have a crack at one of the best GTR workshops in the country for charging $120 an hour. c'mon

Some advice...start a new thread asking for help in sorting your car out. You don't seem the type who likes to part with his money and hey, you might get it diagnosed/fixed for free. :P

Edited by DiRTgarage

i have a manual, wiring diagrams and a fairly good knowledge of how the ATTESSA system works and 10 years experience of working on these cars...but im only 1 of hundreds of guys on here who could possibly help you. But your thread wasnt about us helping you it was asking about workshops and or mechanics who dont charge an arm and a leg, then you proceeded to have a crack at one of the best GTR workshops in the country for charging $120 an hour. c'mon

Some advice...start a new thread asking for help in sorting your car out. You don't seem the type who likes to part with his money and hey, you might get it diagnosed/fixed for free. :P

Nah not really having a crack at anyone just to me seems bit pricey for a mechanic to charge. I dont know perhaps its not too much since plumbers charge $500 a hour:)

But id love to be able to find the fault myself and fix it just soo busy with other things that my poor gtr doesnt get the attention it needs from me. I just figure it shouldnt be too hard for most mechanics who work with gtrs and if ppl recommend some i might check em out. Obvious choice being CRD and GAS. But i like competiton if no one supported the smaller names then how can we expect prices to be low.

I might take your advice on the self-help thread tho if i find more time on my hands. Just life these days aint what it used to be seems were working more than were living and with a family, cars are being neglected, mine being one of them.

Poor thing doesnt even get driven more than once a fourtnight.

for what it's worth...if it is showing g sensor and abs issues there is probably a loose connection or earth somewhere. so start by making sure all plugs are good at the attessa ecu, g sensor and pump above the diff. And consider running an extra earth to the attessa pumps.

I agree with Paul that tracking down tricky issues can be worth paying more for - and there are plenty of knoweldgable workshops other than CRD. Not sure who is good and local to the eastern suburbs though

Firstly id need whole diagram as i dont even know where the lateral G sensor is located. I think its in the centre console from what ive read. But youre right i will one day soon check all fuses first and check connections as much as i can but not having total diagram i might and probably will miss some connections needed. Also not knowing how the various system interact would make it harder for myself. Who knows my powersteering issues might be connected to the 4wd issues which might be due to the hicas lock bar being installed incorrectly. i mean its gets messier and messier as you go.

Anyhow ill see how i go with suggestions of work shops first. I might speak to a few before i make a decision.

With CRD you are paying for more than just a name...they got their name through their reputation of being at the forefront of GTR development in this country. They were building and modifying these cars long before most of us on here even owned one. Their quality of work is some of the best in the industry.

Couldn't agree more.

Time to buy your own hoist and DIY if that is gonna be your attitude.

I wouldn't take the car to CRD to get something like a boost controller installed ... because it will take 2-3 hours at $120 hour. Same thing can be done by a less known mechanic/sparky at $50-60ph.

In having said that, if it's a complex problem relating to GTRs specifically, CRD are the most likely to be able to find the fault and fix it. Other less experienced mechanics might take a lot longer or not be able to find the fault at all.

In any case, Yavuz at Unigroup is just as good as CRD imo and I believe they charge $70ph and you won't find anyone who's had a bad experience with Unigroup. They fix and tune everything from GTRs to space shuttles pretty much..

I wouldn't take the car to CRD to get something like a boost controller installed ... because it will take 2-3 hours at $120 hour. Same thing can be done by a less known mechanic/sparky at $50-60ph.

In having said that, if it's a complex problem relating to GTRs specifically, CRD are the most likely to be able to find the fault and fix it. Other less experienced mechanics might take a lot longer or not be able to find the fault at all.

In any case, Yavuz at Unigroup is just as good as CRD imo and I believe they charge $70ph and you won't find anyone who's had a bad experience with Unigroup. They fix and tune everything from GTRs to space shuttles pretty much..

These three are my top 3 in Sydney

CRD

Unigroup

JEM