SAU Community

Track Suspension...best Coil Over Kits!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have $2000, $4000 or $10,000 to spend on shocks. There is a difference between Penske, Sachs, Ohlins, Proflex, Biltein, Tein, DMS, Koni and G4 and K-Sport

Yeah sorry. around 5-6000 for shocks

Thanks

whoops 5-6k falls between the good and excellent price ranges...you either need to up your budget or down it. There is a depressingly large gap here.

I had $2k to spend on shocks so I went with custom valved bilsteins. they have been great for the price, in particular they are not adjustable so I can't f**k up the carefully researched settings that were put into them :D

I think the DMS gear fits in your price range and they are very well regarded - not sure who on here has first hand track experience with them though

whoops 5-6k falls between the good and excellent price ranges...you either need to up your budget or down it. There is a depressingly large gap here.

I had $2k to spend on shocks so I went with custom valved bilsteins. they have been great for the price, in particular they are not adjustable so I can't f**k up the carefully researched settings that were put into them :D

I think the DMS gear fits in your price range and they are very well regarded - not sure who on here has first hand track experience with them though

/Has anyone tried MCA (Murray Coote) on track? they're the ducks nuts for gravel rally, but I haven't heard of too many people using them for circuit only cars. Not to say it hasn't been done. I think they're around $2k per corner.

Good comment about playing around with the factory settings. Too many people can't resist the urge to fiddle. Not too many people can tell when they've got it right just from seat of the pants driving (I put myself firmly into the majority there). Nothing at all wrong with a well sorted bilstein setup, either.

Have heard of a few people having trouble with DMS - cracking etc. Again, this is gravel rally cars that pound the suspension pretty hard. From what I gther, most of the problems occur with people under sizing the DMS (going 50mm on large cars when 60 is better suited, etc.)

I have heard the same thing regarding DMS, there is a reason why they have 40, 50 and 60mm versions, and a reason why you shoudl not be tempted to go 40mm on anything larger then 1100kg that is used for anything but street driving

Murray coote stuff is the ducks guts. He is building the Proflex for the S13 racecar ive posted on this forum to replace the KWs. KW is the closest to fitting your budget but Id recommend finding the extra for Coote kit. Just under $7000 and that comes with support most others dont.

Murrays son is running an S14 Track car.

I have Olhins for my GTR, Shocks are perfect but need to replace springs with softer ones.

Edited by N I B

Murray coote stuff is the ducks guts. He is building the Proflex for the S13 racecar ive posted on this forum to replace the KWs. KW is the closest to fitting your budget but Id recommend finding the extra for Coote kit. Just under $7000 and that comes with support most others dont.

Murrays son is running an S14 Track car.

I have Olhins for my GTR, Shocks are perfect but need to replace springs with softer ones.

Thanks guys. I will try to find more info on the Coote kits. Olhins would be another option for me. I will do my school work and find the best that suit my need ..and budget!

I've got MCA gear on my Evo 9. Running a softish spring rate as I've built the car for tarmac rallying. In the meantime though I use the car for circuit sprints/hill climbs etc in the Speed Event Series here in WA and the car has been pretty competitive.

He's very good support wise as well. Very happy to spend as long as you like on the phone talking about what you're after.

I've had no problems with them. Would buy them again.

I originally wanted the 50mm struts but he recommended the 46mm struts for tarmac. They don't take the same sort of punishment as they do on the gravel. He's probably forgotten more than I'll ever know about suspension setup so I followed his advice.

Edited by BCM

KW have been the best of the mid Budget market but we are looking to run 57s Long track at Barbagallo (Best to date is 60.04 on Damp track) and the next step up is moving to Coote suspension,Im surprised we got this far on Just Jap and KW suspension parts.

Thank you for your info. My only concern with the MCA kit is that , well, I live in Canada and I think that it would be hard to get support from Them. I will try to contact them and see what they have to say. As far as ohlins kits...Has anyone of you tried the FLAG-R kit for r32 GTR?

Thanks

Interestingly Bilstein australia use MCA external canisters. Also, you can put PSS9 adjustable valve stacks in non adjustable bilsteins for about $1700-1800. MCA external cannisters about $2500. ;)

Can someone who knows whats what, please rate those suspension packages above in terms of price and performance ?

From personal experience, with Eibach Springs of course, approximate prices only;

Sach/Boge, 4/5 way adjustable remote cannister $16K (what we use on the F3's)

Ohlins, 3 way adjustable remote cannister $12K (what we use on the V8 SuperCars)

Pensche, 3 way adjustable remote cannister $12K (what we use on the V8 SuperCars)

MCA, 3 way adjustable remote cannister $10K (what we use on the Production Race Cars, including the new Evo X we are building for the Bathurst 12 Hour 2010)

MCA, 2 way adjustable remote cannister $9K (what is on my own race R32GTST and also the class pole and lap record holder set at the Bathurst 12 Hour 2009)

Bilstein, 2 way adjustable remote cannister $6K (what is on a number of Improved Production Cars)

Koni, 2 way adjustable remote cannister $7K (what we use on the Sports Sedans)

Bilstein PSS9, single adjuster, revalved and with spring rate changes for our roads/tracks, $4.5K (the step up for the guys who just must have adjustables, not availlabe for all Skyline models))

Bilstein non adjustable revalved and with spring rates for our roads/tracks $3K (without doubt the most popular, value for money, set up around for Skylines)

DMS, 50 mm 2 way adjustable remoter cannister $5K (work well, but we have had reliability issues).

Then daylight

Off the shelf Bilsteins for R32GTST, R32GTR, R32GTS4, R33GTST, R33GTS4 and R34GTT $2K (What I have in my road R33GTST and Stagea S1)

(BUT Stagea S1 and S2 plus R33/34GTR and R33/34GTS4 need substantial revalving)

Showa N1's, single adjuster, $5K (only for Hondas)

JRZ 2 way adjustable, remote cannister, $5K (only tried them in light cars, where they work well, no Skylines as yet)

Yamahas (Japanese Ohlins), single adjuster, revalved and spring rate changes for our roads/tracks, $4K (with some knowledge they can be made to work OK, not great, but OK)

DMS, 40 mm single adjustable $4K (work well for a 40mm, but we have had reliability issues).

More daylight

Tein N1's, 2 way adjustable, substantially revalved and with spring rate changes for our roads/tracks $7K (I spent 2 years getting them close to right and the MCA's were still 2 seconds a lap faster at Bathurst).

Shyte loads of daylight

Anything else Japanese and off the shelf Konis (for Skylines, they work well on most other cars).

Bucket loads more daylight

Anything Chinese and/or Korean

Cheers

Gary

Interestingly Bilstein australia use MCA external canisters. Also, you can put PSS9 adjustable valve stacks in non adjustable bilsteins for about $1700-1800. MCA external cannisters about $2500. :D

Interestingly MCA use some Bilstein pistons, rods, seals and valves :D

Cheers

Gary

interestingly I think nfi does have a fi in this case!!! :D if he is who I think he is... possibly works somewhere on princes h'way.... starts with an "H" and ends with a "easmans"...