SAU Community

Track Suspension...best Coil Over Kits!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh i know. :D Its killing me spending the money i am on it right now. It woudl haev been easier to buy another one, but cost blow outs can happen and at the end of the day... it will be fun blowing all those fancy homo cars away with a 4k barge. That must mean i am the greatest driver to ever hit the track :D

And when i get a back yard and garage space, you watch me buy a bunch of R31 shells, cheapest dog kennels going :P

my 2c on mca. very good. we have a set in the supra at work, theve been in since 95 and just need a top up of gas every few years...

spring rates? sk is going to have a heart attack, front 1400lb rear 1200lb :D went faster with the 1200's in the rear up from 1000's.

if i could afford it, id get them, and since bosenjack engineereing is close with our work(he makes alot of mca's bits) a good price could be had.

time to save up :D

At the real Australian price, MCA's would be a much better choice technically, especialy with remote rather than attached cannisters. Then add in local track knowledge, faster turn around, readily available spares and track side support at major meetings. In fact for not much more you could have 2 way adjustable Swedish Ohlins or Sach/Boge, both of which are superior solutions.

That’s the problem with comparing $2K shocks with $7K shocks, the name might in fact be the only similarity. They sure as hell aren’t going to be comparable technically.

Cheers

Gary

yeah if you were paying $8000 for a set of flag Rs then sure you'd be mad not to take that $8K to murray and see what he can do for you. I would say for guys with $10K burning a hole in their suspension budget that MCA is probably the best track suspension on a dollar/performance/service ratio. but i paid no where near $8K for those ohlins, let's halve that figure, and then go down from there... they might be "$8000" shocks but they didn't cost me $8000.... but I do agree it's not relevant to anyone else what I paid. but they are still good gear.

savman, I find at the track I am more fine tuning with the top adjusters but the bottom ones are far enough from disk to get to without burning yourself. if in doubt.... wear gloves! I most definitely do not adjust them anywhere near as much as I should. next time the car is up and running i will take them to bilstein, put them on their shock dyno and get paul to give me some good base settings to start with for various springs and tracks. :banana:

my 2c on mca. very good. we have a set in the supra at work, theve been in since 95 and just need a top up of gas every few years...

spring rates? sk is going to have a heart attack, front 1400lb rear 1200lb :cool: went faster with the 1200's in the rear up from 1000's.

if i could afford it, id get them, and since bosenjack engineereing is close with our work(he makes alot of mca's bits) a good price could be had.

time to save up :banana:

Divide the spring rates by the movement and the leverage ratios and you get the effective spring rate at the tyre, which is all that matters.

Cheers

Gary

Gary, have you dealt with KW kits before, and if so what's your opinion on them?

Cheers,

Dane

Owned by Klaus Wohlfarth, a mechanical engineer, that's where the "KW" comes from, started in the early '90's. Shocks are made in Germany in KW's own factory, coils though are wound by Tevemen from memory. East Coast Suspension are the Australian agents. They have multiple levels of kits, V1, V2, V3 Clubsport and Competition 2 way adjustable and Competition 3 way adjustable. I've only seen the Competition 2 way with attached cannister and that was on an S2000, the kit cost around $6-7K from memory. I liked the sensible spring rates and the progression in the damper adjustment. They were made of stainless steel and consequently a little heavy. I have seen pictures of the Z33/V35 Competition kit and they have a neat rear height adjuster system. My opinion, albeit from one set only, was they were good quality, European engineered, so OK for our our condtions. Maybe a tiny bit expensive, but well worth considering.

I also saw, at SEMA I think it was, a KW hydraulic donut kit that fits around the shocks between the spring and the spring seat. There are 4 donuts, hydraulic lines, a hydraulic pump and a remote control so you can raise or lower the car on the move, about 30 mm was the limit. Very cool, but expensive at around $4K.

Cheers

Gary

Thanks for that Gary. I'd contemplated the V3 for my car as they're quite cheap out of the states at the moment with our dollar being so high, but the spring rates may be set up for the KA24 they get over there so will need some looking into. A mate just bought some Cargraphic fettled KW's for his track Boxster and the price was around what you quoted but I'm not sure which specification they are (dare say Clubsport or Competition 2's). It will be interesting to see how they go.