SAU Community

R35 Hot Battle A Sendai Raceway, Japan

Racing Otaku

Just wanted to let you all know a local Aussie, living in Japan will be attending the Hot Battle R35 meet next week at Sendai Highland raceway.

I'll try to keep you all posted on what transpires.

Short end is, I got a call from a friend of mine who has had some custom built one off suspension dampers for his R35 made especially for this event.

This particular GTR also has 6 pot 400mm 2 piece AP Racing floating calipers at the front and has recently been tuned with more boost and the addition of a titanium down pipe system to produce a little over 580HP.

Should prove quite the package I imagine.

You can see the exclusive write up here - I am the one driving the car in these shots. It turns out that these were a world first so that was a bit of a surprise.

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2009/07/16...pedal-feel.aspx

In this write up, I drove it just after the calipers were installed and I cannot tell you how massive the difference in braking performance these brakes are over the standard set up. Not only does the car impress under acceleration, the brakes are now more than a match for the chassis, totally putting to rest one part of the weight issues that I have heard about from many people. It will be interesting to see what Tsuchiya, Taniguchi and Orido think of the changes because to me there is a huge positive amount of difference between what the car provides compared to stock.

If you want to read from the blog as well, it's here: http://www.racingotaku.wordpress.com

This will of course be updated as the days unfold.

Anyways, as if I wasn't already psyched enough about the event, I have also been asked to bring the car back on the 500 kilometer journey from Sendai to Tokyo after the event as well, so I will have some quiet time with the car all to my lonesome - no passengers allowed!

It's going to be off the chain awesome.

Edited by Racing Otaku

Thanks - I'm pretty excited about it all obviously. I made a typo with the brakes; they are a 1 piece alloy mono block design not a 2 piece.

I had dinner with the owner of the car last night and discovered the rotors both front and rear were also custom made by D Performance especially to fit these AP Racing calipers. The owner also has an Audi RS6 Avante which has these brakes fitted as well. The GTR has an Access Port which has allowed it to be tuned with the addition of a Titanium Y pipe to produce around 580HP but that might be changed to around 550HP for the event. We all know the drivetrain is relatively fragile so there is no point putting it at risk for the event.

Just so you know, I am in discussions with the owner and workshop to try and become the Australian distributor for these parts once the event is concluded. While it s still early days, we all realize there is potential in the US and Australian markets so we are discussing our options. Keep in mind, this is a brake set up taken directly from a Super GT GT500 car so you can imagine the difference it will make to performance on the road!

We are also looking to make the dampers global items and this Hot Battle will be the forge they are tested in. Y recently put the car to task on a circuit in Nagano and shaved 0.5 off his best lap times. We believe the dampers alone are worth half a second a lap and that, in real world terms is a huge amount of time.

Got the ETC for the car as well - the mobile toll gate electronic card that sends up a signal via the incar unit to the toll gate antennas to let you through traffic gates quicker.

Japan is amazing for convenient, easy to use, every day living technology.

Not really surprising those brakes are good. They are racing brakes (and priced accordingly) but aren't designed for street use.

AP Racing made a very interesting comment on NAGTROC about the use of these brakes on your friends car and about people trying to sell them for the GT-R and I'd go have a read if I were you.

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?sh...st&p=441850

Not really surprising those brakes are good. They are racing brakes (and priced accordingly) but aren't designed for street use.

AP Racing made a very interesting comment on NAGTROC about the use of these brakes on your friends car and about people trying to sell them for the GT-R and I'd go have a read if I were you.

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?sh...st&p=441850

Thanks for the link and I did read it well. I dont think any of it was negatively directed at my friend; more so it was pointed out that the OP had made a comment that had no tangible evidence to back it up and that was to say that, "While the AP Racing kit replaces the front calipers with fully forged ones, the Endless kit uses forged monobloc calipers all around and should provide an even greater improvement." AP Racing also went on to clarify that just because a caliper is crafted as a mono-block item, doesn't necessarily mean that it will be better. Testing obviously is where it is at.

If anything was to be understood for the car in relation to future upgrades, it appears that it is pointless, at least according to AP Racing, to change the rears to a similar set up as the front. As it is right now the brakes are perfect - at least according to all of us.

I know they are a "race" set up but can tell you first hand, they dont feel out of place on the street. The only issue I could think of regarding daily use would be the click and rotor squeal due to them being of a floating design and the fact they need to be brought up to temperature somewhat.

Other than that, I see no reason why they couldn't be used on the street as well as the track; unless it is a legal one of course!

Not sure where he made a comment about people selling the AP Racing kit for the GTR?

Edited by Racing Otaku