• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

So...update!

car is back in car hold at home.

made a whopping 82rwkw where it made 76 before the tune. obviously that 6 is up top but mid range makes more too. I wasnt expecting much out of it but more for future mods so when I do cams and cam gears. (to give you an idea a modded NB with intake an extractors makes 80-90rwkw obviously as a newer and more powerfull motor to begin with but heavier!)

anyhoo, all roads were wet from picking it up fromn DVS Jez's workshop but gave hit a good drive where I could and felt much better overall. going to take it out a couple more times this week before MRA on sunday.

So the issue was the previous tuner had the wires for fuel pump and injectors wired wrongly and caused the over fuelling and flooding. also had an issue with the factory wiring.

however - all good, feels good so far but cannot wait for sunday @ Wakefield!

we have 11 MX5's racing for the first round which is tops!

If anyone wants to be a hairdresser and race my mate is selling his well sorted NB

http://www.my105.com/ListingDetails/tabid/65/p/2/cid/518/id/9304/Default.aspx

So update after first race.

No rain what so ever! Forecast had 90% chance of rain. I love it when its wrong.

So we had 11 entrants, and in qualifying I qualified 7th out of 11 overall and 3rd in 2F (yes, more than 3 cars haha)

I managed a 1.12.9 on my last lap in qualifying which was a tenth off my PB, quite shocked to do that time straight up!

Race 1 is up and quite boring after a while. tried to keep up with the faster guys on slicks but no go. 6 lap race

Race 2 was good. had a good dice with a few 5's and last lap managed a PB of 1.12.7 within the 8 lap race

Race 3 was delayed as the Pulsar Cup had an oil down. A Pulsar decided to drop its guts all over the braking zone into turn 10.

This was a 10 lapper and the first lap had a good battle with a bloke in an NB MX5, however made the move straight after at the kink and passed. but it was too late to catch the other blokes so had to watch my mirrors for the other guys. I managed a 1.13.1 due to the oil down however the faster blokes were 2 seconds off their pace!

Even after the ECU, I didnt pick up too much more speed if any, I did feel more punch out of the fish hook lower down. I think my intake is a bit restrictive now and will look at ways to fix.

A good set of cams + retune would work some magic.

BUT....the cost of cams + head gasket (fix minor oil leak) + retune I am considering would it be just as much $$$ to fit a later model SVT motor and make the same, if not more power?

back to drawing board.

OR....do I get an NC model non-reg from Japan and turn into race car?

A mate did and from go to whoa its cost about 15k and just missed hitting 1.09's on its first outing.

What to do???

Anyhoo, some pics from the weekend thanks to Scott Walker and here is the in car vid of some action. Excuse the quality, the sound some how when converting seems to not be in time with the video for some reason.

601177_4416867254728_838949601_n.jpg

379350_4416880335055_1271997211_n.jpg

528850_4416884455158_822941064_n.jpg

Cheers,

Chris

the sound is out of sync with the video because you were going faster than the speed of sound (but not light). Great to see Scott still out there taking pics too, he has been spectating, photographing and occasionally trying club motorsport for years :)

Excellent driving there, nice and smooth and it is damn quick around the top of the track in particular. It also looks like you have a favourite passing spot ;)

As for mods....all I can suggest is do as little as possible! You are getting more race time than everyone else on SAU put together!

Sure you can make it go faster, but can you afford to spend your way to the front? And even if you did, do you think it is more fun chasing/dicing with someone, or running away at the front....I know which one I'd pick.

You are obviously enjoying your racing, have been making a lot of events (therefore staying within or close to your budget) and having fun. Why change that?

haha reason I sold my skyline 4 years ago (wow time flies!) is I couldnt afford to race a turbo car!

Plus I wont be able to fit in some classes (not CAMS 2F Prod Sports as no Na8's were turbo from factory)

Duncan,

haha too fast! lol

yeah Scott is a champ. He has an NA8 race car also but makes 160ish rwhp and laps 1.09's @ Wakie. he had some suspension issues so took photos instead which was nice of him. one of the true good blokes of motorsport!

I need bigger balls to overtake in other places, but hiting the kink onto back straight is my fav to pass as you say!

true true. to be up the front, Id need 20-30k worth of MX5 race car + $1000's in maint between, more rims//tyres etc which I simply cannot do. This is my 3rd season now of MRA and just love the atmosphere and its a close knit bunch of people. You'd really like it too mate and I hope you can get your GTR out there this year.

Good point though, maybe a set of cams just to get a bit more power between 4k and 7k then that'll do hah

Name doesn't ring a bell, but there are a few similar times. Matilda does 1.04s in her turbo, Dave raddatz did a 1.05 in his n/a 1.8l in slicks and a few others are well into the 6s

I dream of 1.10s haha

well if there was ever a chassis that could take more power and go faster it is this one. But that still doesn't make it a good idea unless you can afford to run it and fix it.

BTW Kel is navigating for Matilda down at Targa Wrestpoint this weekend....luckily in an n/a mx5 not a turbo....the n/a ones shoudn't crash as hard :P

exactly right Duncan. I can just afford what I am doing now and its all out of my own pocket!

Kel and Matilda are a great team combo! they are running in the MX5racing/Targa racing entry yes?