SAU Community

Tiptronic/mm Question

I remember reading in a thread not long ago someone saying you shouldn't keep the accelerator depressed when shifting gears on the auto in the tiptronic/manual mode. The rationale was that you wouldn't keep the accelerator pedal depressed when changing gears in a manual, so why would you in manual/tiptronic mode?

I was trawling G35driver.com today and came across a thread about it, which says that you should keep the pedal depressed while changing gears in tiptronic. To me this makes more sense, as even if in manual mode, it is still an automatic gearbox and all you are doing is telling the car when to change gears, rather than it choosing for you. If you're not dropping revs into it from neutral or redlining it then I don't see how it can be doing any damage as it is still running the same auto mechanics.

Anyone else agree?

Here is the link: http://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetr...ronic-tips.html

Come on, own up to it, who thinks that you need to let off the accelerator when selecting a gear in a tiptronic AUTOMATIC gearbox? Then what do you do after letting off the accelerator, push the clutch pedal in? hahahah

I believe the words of wisdom came from here:

My preference is for a CVT gearbox as in normal bumper-to-bumper driving and highway cruising, the CVT changes gears smoothly at under 2,000 rpms in DRIVE gear = fuel economy. But when u slap it into tiptronic mode, it changes it characteristics and can rev to almost redline....just make sure that when u do use the tiptronic, to let your foot off the accelerator, change gear, then step on the accelerator...This 'TIP' is for those who have come from a manual transmission setup....You wouldn't change gears without clutching; would u? So please, despite the way how many drive tiptronics (like Top Gear), if u wanna prolong your auto transmission, ease off the gas b4 u change gears...Obviously this doesnt apply when u r in the DRIVE gear...

My 2 cents worth anyway....

If you're driving a car with a torque converter gearbox you shouldn't need to lift. It doesn't matter whether the electronics think its time to change or you do, in the end the mechanical process to select a new gear is the same.

I am pretty sure that advice should only apply to gearboxes with clutches. Whether you've got a 3 pedal setup, or you've got a car with an electronically controlled clutch (BMW SMG, Ferrari F1, VAG DSG, etc) its good to lift off the throttle when it changes gear and be gentler on the driveline.

The problem is that a lot of people drive the latter like a slusho because its only got 2 pedals, but mechanically it behaves the same as a traditional manual.

If you're driving a car with a torque converter gearbox you shouldn't need to lift. It doesn't matter whether the electronics think its time to change or you do, in the end the mechanical process to select a new gear is the same.

I am pretty sure that advice should only apply to gearboxes with clutches. Whether you've got a 3 pedal setup, or you've got a car with an electronically controlled clutch (BMW SMG, Ferrari F1, VAG DSG, etc) its good to lift off the throttle when it changes gear and be gentler on the driveline.

The problem is that a lot of people drive the latter like a slusho because its only got 2 pedals, but mechanically it behaves the same as a traditional manual.

Ok officially confused... all different replies....

say you want to get a good run off the line, shifting at red zone...

cause i tried changing to 2nd with my foot down on the pedal... car just ignored me and bounced all the way to limiter XD.... refused to change gears.....

is it some kind of self-protection?

so im guessing it should be like this? correct me if im misunderstanding..

1)TDC off...

2)hold brakes and rev to 1.5-2k

lights change

3) pedal to metal on M1

4) lift/ease off gas to change to M2 ?????

5) stomp on gas again???? or ease back in????? (VDC off)

Keep your foot down the whole time. Change the gear 500rpm before the red line. The gear changes are slower then you change and needs a little time.

If you wait until you get to the red line you'll hit the limiter.

Or get some grounding wires that should help. Right?

another question guys.

Does the power button will do anything on Manual shift?

Don't think so. All it does is hold the lower gears longer when accelerating hard and jump down gears quicker when you plant the right foot in auto mode. With manual mode you control this yourself.