SAU Community

Im240 Emissions Test

Blinky101

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least the next roll out of the IM240 testing will be fairer, hopefully KEC doesn't still hold the monopoly on it and I hope the class action goes through.

Also, if anyone has any legit tips and info on what mods to do to make a modified exhaust legal, I would be happy to hear them. I want to start doing upgrades before the next roll out so when it comes, I am ready.

That is if I am off the hook for this one!!

Blinky

use a good quality cat to pass and good tune

highflows are no good enough

Isn't the test also alot cheaper than KEC's rip off price for the IM240?

I can do them for under $100.........

you can still tune your car to pass emissions and make big power at the same time. they've done it at the eastern states so dont see why we cant do it too.

Because they are lazy and not as good as they think, a couple of business we closed down for fitting De Cat pipes and saying they were tuned. About $5,000 per car fine.........

Edited by Guest

Ok, everyone, tomorrow is D-Day again. I have done everything that is on the list (except the IM240 test) and feel my car is ready to become an unstickered member of society again. Hope all goes well.

Blinky

I can do them for under $100.........

Because they are lazy and not as good as they think, a couple of business we closed down for fitting De Cat pipes and saying they were tuned. About $5,000 per car fine.........

fair enough cuz it takes a lot of time to tune for power and still meet emissions so most workshops couldnt be bothered.

Edited by R33_NICK

As per below but they will just ask for a 4/5 gas and even then no cammed, De Cat Pipe fitted car with a rich tune will pass.

- MEMBER ALERT -

ARD, AADA, IVD, AAR, ATD, FID, ERD MEMBERS

11 September 2009

IM240 EMISSIONS TESTING

I am pleased to advise that the Government has announced today that there is to be a moratorium of up to 6 months on IM240 vehicle emissions testing so that greater engagement with industry can be undertaken and to improve accessibility to emissions testing. A broad industry based committee is to be established to deal with the issues that have been raised with the MTA in relation to the existing testing regime. It is anticipated the first meeting of the committee will be held within a fortnight.

It can be taken as read that the previous emissions testing arrangements will continue for the next 6 months until new procedures have been approved.

I thank all industry members for their valuable input into this process and recognise the fact that the Government has responded to industry concerns in this way.

Yours sincerely

PETER FITZPATRICK AM, JP, FSAE, GAICD

Chief Executive Officer

I know IM240 testing was expensive from KEC but have you done the maths on the test facility.

An IM240 machine of a standard that can give you grams per kilometre of the 5 gasses costs about 600-700K

If you borrow that much, 5% interest works out at 30k per year, if you want to pay of that amount over 5 years that works out at 120k +30k per year to break even. Gee you havent even made wages. Paid for the filters, electricity or any consumeables.

So to break even each year you need to do 150 tests at $1000 or 3000 tests at $50

Now if we set up 4 or 5 centres here in WA then we need to be doing 600 tests per year at $1000 or 12000 tests at $50.

Companies that are setting up will need vast reserves to survive if they dont get the volume of tests they expect.

I have checked other states and SA charges $550 dollars, VIC through VIBRAC $200 1st test and $900 there after. 1st test is subsidised by VIC EPA. NSW are nominal in their charges due to the facility being built to test every vehicle in the fleet and then they found it was going to be too hard. Ford Aust do test from time to time when their lab is quiet and charge $600 approx.

Now NSW RTA spent $4.5 million, SA $2.5 million and VIBRAC spent more like these 2 figures added together.

Emission testing does not come cheap and any body setting up is in for the long haul.

I dont work for KEC, but I did put a business proposal to a partner to set up a facility in Feb 2006 when DPI adopted the VSB 14 NCOP.

I thought I might corner the market, did these sums and realy didnt like the idea of loosing the house and business to boot.

So if IM 240 is here to stay however does it is NOT going to do it for peanuts unless they have money to waste.

I PASSED!!

Everything checked off, all neat and tidy. I also got my new custom plates in this arvo. Today turned into a really nice day, the skies even parted long enough for me to go for a nice little cruise to celebrate.

Also, in the past I have never had any real thoughts for people who get yellowed. Now it's happened to me I realise all the pain you go through and can sympathise with everyone having a bitch about pit inspectors who don't know diddly squat about cars (mine was pretty good). I wish everyone good luck with their yellows and hope to God never to have one again.

Ha ha ha, not likely when I drive a Skyline!!

Blinky

I know IM240 testing was expensive from KEC but have you done the maths on the test facility.

Companies that are setting up will need vast reserves to survive if they dont get the volume of tests they expect.

I have checked other states and SA charges $550 dollars, VIC through VIBRAC $200 1st test and $900 there after. 1st test is subsidised by VIC EPA. NSW are nominal in their charges due to the facility being built to test every vehicle in the fleet and then they found it was going to be too hard. Ford Aust do test from time to time when their lab is quiet and charge $600 approx.

Now NSW RTA spent $4.5 million, SA $2.5 million and VIBRAC spent more like these 2 figures added together.

How current is your quoted fees, do you mean VIPAC not VIBRAC, the commonwealth funded a few million into the SA one, $4.5 million for RTA in the scheme of things is nothing plus SA and RTA costs were land, buildings, equipment, staff training and the butt tax the government is given as they are a pain to deal with on large projects.

As per the MTA member alert the issues presented to the minister are not related to what you just commented about.

Some of these issues included:

· The lack of industry consultation prior to the introduction of the bulletin

· The lack of accredited testing facilities and associated costs for testing

· Fitment of aftermarket catalytic converters and exhaust systems

· LPG installations on vehicles that may not have passed a test prior to the fitment

· Confusion within the police Service about changes to the standards

· Lack of provision to test 4WD vehicles for emission testing

How much it cost to set up a testing station who cares, what they charge is a fact of life as it is a free market to charge what you want.......... That excuse was given over and over to try deflect the real issues.

People think it was the charges that started this but that isn't the underlining issue and to set up an emissions testing facility is nothing like what people are quoting..

Edited by Guest

No emissions test required. The DPI sent out a memo to all workshops saying it had been postponed for 6 months. I was lucky.

I will be looking at some eastern states workshops to find out about performance tuning while still meeting ADR's and may even look at sending the car over east for some work. The IM240 is going to come back and when it does it is going to be a bitch and a lot of import owners are going to suffer. I was told indirectly that cars like ours are going to be looked at very closely, almost to the point of targeting. I wont say who told me that however.

Anyway, I am on happy street and am looking at ways now to make my car ADR legal without going back to stock, or worse, o FORD!!

Hahahaha

Blinky

No emissions test required. The DPI sent out a memo to all workshops saying it had been postponed for 6 months. I was lucky.

I will be looking at some eastern states workshops to find out about performance tuning while still meeting ADR's and may even look at sending the car over east for some work. The IM240 is going to come back and when it does it is going to be a bitch and a lot of import owners are going to suffer. I was told indirectly that cars like ours are going to be looked at very closely, almost to the point of targeting. I wont say who told me that however.

Anyway, I am on happy street and am looking at ways now to make my car ADR legal without going back to stock, or worse, o FORD!!

Hahahaha

Blinky

Why bother going over east ? The tuners are no better than we have here in WA

and as import owners are we not already targeted by cops etc

and why not say who told you this ?

If they have said it publicly to you you should not be scared /ashamed to name the source

Aren't they doing that already? Looks like the more reason for me to take my mum's Camry out if I need to go anywhere after dark.

Also another +1 for the name & shame.

Why bother going over east ? The tuners are no better than we have here in WA

and as import owners are we not already targeted by cops etc

and why not say who told you this ?

If they have said it publicly to you you should not be scared /ashamed to name the source

<H1 style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">Moratorium on Emission Testing of</H1><H1 style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">Light Vehicles in WA (September 2009)</H1>

<H2 style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">The Department of Transport has introduced a moratorium on IM240 emissions testing. The purpose of the moratorium is to allow existing requirements to be reviewed to address industry stakeholder concerns. During this period, a temporary modification permit, valid for six months, will be issued for vehicles that may require IM240 testing under the revised policy.</H2><H2 style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"> </H2><H2 style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">Background</H2>Until recently, limited vehicle emission testing options have been available in Western Australia to measure changes in emission levels due engine modifications, in particular the addition of turbochargers and superchargers.

The recent establishment of an IM240 test facility has allowed Transport to implement a more accurate test regime. Transport took into account that the IM240 test is nationally recognised as a reasonable approximation of the Australian Design Rules (ADR) testing requirements. This requirement for IM240 testing commenced in April 2009 and was limited to engine and exhaust system modifications that were likely to impact on vehicle emissions.

The automotive industry has raised some concerns about the emission testing requirements and requested a review of this policy. To ensure that these industry concerns are addressed, Transport has introduced a moratorium for up to six (6) months. During this period thorough consultation on emissions testing will be undertaken with the industry.

<H2 style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-padding-alt: 1.0pt 4.0pt 1.0pt 4.0pt">Interim Policy</H2>Vehicles with modifications likely to affect emissions will need to be assessed by the Transport's Vehicle Safety and Standards Section (VSSS).

Engineering reports, other information and checklists that demonstrate the vehicle complies with standards will still be requested.

Until the new IM240 testing policy is introduced, the requirement to submit evidence of emission testing will be deferred for a limited period of six (6) months only. The Department may require a five gas analyser test as assurance that the vehicle does not have extremely high levels of emissions.

Providing all other criteria are met, a modification permit valid for six (6) months will be issued.

A second, permanent modification permit will be issued after the six month period expires, provided that the vehicle passes any emission testing required under the new policy.

<H2 style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"> </H2><H2 style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">Which modifications are affected?</H2>In general, the following modifications are likely to have an effect on emissions and are dealt with under this policy:

• Engines modified by the fitment of a supercharger or turbocharger
  • Individually constructed vehicles (ICVs)
  • Engines that have been significantly modified to enhance performance (e.g. with the fitment of a high performance camshaft)
  • When there is reprogramming of the electronic control unit (ECU, the engine management computer), or a chip swap
  • Major modifications to the exhaust systems - where the catalytic converter has been replaced with one that may not be fit for purpose or where the operation of the catalytic converter may be affected by aftermarket modifications (such as extractors) or significant relocation from the original position

NB: Certain minor modifications of the exhaust system may be deemed unlikely to impact significantly upon vehicle emissions. In this case, the owner will be issued with a permanent modification permit and will not be required to undertake future IM240 testing for the modification(s) in question.

IMPORTANT

The IM240 emission test is still a valid test. Should you choose to undertake the test and consequently pass it, then you will satisfy the policy requirements.

<H2 style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"> </H2><H2 style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">What is expected of the vehicle owner?</H2>

The legislation requires a vehicle owner to seek permission the Director General, Department of Transport to modify their vehicle from. Application is made through the VSSS and an application form is available online at

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/lic_modform_prodveh.pdf

The applicant or his appointed engineer may be required to provide an engineer's report for the vehicle, along with all pertinent checklists required from the National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification (VSB14), to a technical analyst in the VSSS. The National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification checklists can be found at http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/veh...n/vsb_ncop.aspx.

Once approved in principle, a covering letter from the VSSS will be provided for the vehicle examiner to show that the vehicle has met the pertinent standards.