SAU Community

Egt Setup

tuned_nismo

hi i was installing my new exhaust and saw theres a factory egt probe in the cat i was wondering when my egt gauge arrives if i can just tap right into that sensor, instead of drilling before the turbo i wanna tap into the factory one and monitor the whole exhaust system

In theory yes you can do it, however the temperature readings will not be useful. I run mine in the dump pipe just after the exhaust housing.

Edited by PM-R33

Turbos definitely absorb heat from the exhaust gas so if you want to know the average EGT from the engine then the probe needs to be where all the gasses meet - generally the front of a single scroll turbine housing .

Cheers A .

Actually if you could afford to run two then just before the turbos mount flange in the std exhaust manifold could work if there is enough meat in the casting .

The one in the cat (oem) is just an overtemp indicator. Doesn't do anything other than bring on an idiot light. Not a sensor just a switch.

My egt sensor is fitted in the junction of the rear three cylinders on the exhaust manifold, before the turbo. Drill and tap.