SAU Community

Importing From The Uk

Hey guys,

just wondering if anyone has any experience of importing a car from the UK? Is it a lot more expensive than importing from Japan?? ie, shipping or movement/taxes of car in the Uk more expensive?

Any importers with regular UK dealings?

cheers,

daniel

Misinformation...it's a beautiful thing...

If for example, you're looking at a GT-R out of the UK, shipping is obviously more, but the big issue is that the car needs to have originally been sold on the Japanese Domestic Market, then exported to the UK, in order to be complied in Australia under SEVS. The only way to prove this is by having the export certificate provided when the car leaves Japan, which quite often goes missing in the UK if the car has been on-sold.

hmmmm... there are some pretty OCD owners on gtr.co.uk, i guess you could get lucky the jap documents.

so basically, even if i was after a modified R34 GTR, i'd still be best going from Japan??

sent ya an email as well Kristian :)

might start a R34 GTR thread...

you would be nuts to bother buying a japanese car from the UK. buying euro cars is another matter. but buying a modded GTR from the UK just makes no sense. as does all the advice in this thread except for iron chefs which as usual is correct.

kristian and ze baron, muchos gracias... was thinking outside the box a bit but it seems it's was a little too outside the box ;)

gtr.co.uk still has some killer 34 R's though :)

back to Japan hunting then, thanks guys!! ;)

• 2 months later...

So if there is an 89 R32 GTSt i am interested in the UK, what sort of dollars am i looking at for importing and compliancing...assuming i have all the ex Japan paperwork.

I am real keen on picking up a car while i am here and rather then sell it when i leave would rather import it back to Aus as its a really nice car. (provided i dont bin it at a cold and slippery Ring :P )

Keep it for 12 months and is classed a s personal import provideing you can prove you have owned it for 12 months ie mot tax and insurance in the uk

Wehn i looked into bringing one of my cars over ( i hadnt owned it long enough though) cost were around 1500 to have it shipped....

troy, it's not really any different than importing one from japan. add shipping (probably around $1500-$1800 roro), 5% duty, 10% GST, few hundred for customs clearance, AQIS inspection, cleaning etc. then compliance around $2000-$2500 depending on what it is exactly and where you get it done and then you're away. :thumbsup:

Hi. I was thinking about doing this... and as I currently live in the UK, I thought that might be a good idea.

Though... looking at prices here, its probably alot easier to just buy what you want... Now all I need to do is figure out how to gift wrap a r32 gtr as a christmas present for my wife...

I know the pound is low compared to the aussie dollar, but by the time you add in all the charges, etc... It starts looking like importing a japanese car (even if is was sold by nissan uk) is a waste of time. I still have to dig right into the 'personal import' side of it - and even then, its only (just) worth it on R34 gtrs... (and only while the dollar is strong... and provided shipping is cheap, and the paperwork this side is cheap)

Really, I don't think I would bother.

Perhaps I should price a beamer and audi or two... nah

Yeah the pound is silly at the moment my sister is coming over to visit and she got virtually newt to the pound somat like $1.80!!

When i came over (to live here last end of last year) i got $2.53 to the pound excellent!!!

Edited by GODZ1LLA

• 2 weeks later...

If you are going the personal route don't get a car that can be sourced quite readily here by importers.

It is obviously better to get a car which cannot be imported here but for the fact it is a personal import together with it's relative rarity/value here vs cheap/commonality over there.

vauxhall vxr8 bathurst perhaps? some bogan is keen to want one here :blink: or something more common like a merc C or E class or 5 series BMW or GTI?