SAU Community

R32 Rb30/26 Worklog

whiteboy01

Hi guys.

I’m in the process of replacing my ageing RB26 with a RB26/30 combo. My ultimate goal is to do all the work myself to save abit of coin and learn quite a bit in the process. With a final power output of 300kw at the end. The car as it stands is pretty standard. Just bits and pieces like exhaust/intercooler/suspension/BOV. No pods and will be leaving the engine bay fairly standard.

I have already purchased GT2860 -5 turbos (from Anderew at HyperDrive) and a new front diff before I decided to replace the RB26. The original plan was to change the sump and turbos while the engine was out. Then I got thinking I should fresh up the old RB26 and I discovered the RB26/30 combo. I took the car to a mechanic and return 150PSI across all 6 with a leak down test. So the RB26 still had a bit of life in her but at 110,000km it’s time was coming to a end.

I have read the HUGE RB30 GTR conversion thread and hopefully got all the knowledge that I need to complete the build. This will be a fairly quick build with a due date of end of November.

The story so far…

-RB30 Block has been strip right back taking out the pistons/crack/hoses/random stuff. This was done over the space of an a couple of hours with a mate.

-The block is on its way to get acid dipped and checked out buy the local machinist. (Handy tip – if you live in a smallish town and people are afraid to work on the “skyline” engine just say to them it’s a “VL” engine they will be all over it in a flash lol)

-Next step is to get the block bored out to 0.20 tho over size. Once I know the final size I will order a RB30 NA rebuild kit from Repco. This includes bearing/rings/pistons/gaskets. Pretty much everything I need.

The reason I’m going with the NA parts is that RIPS NZ have RB30 built to NA standards for 600HP. I’m not aiming that high but it’s nice to know that I can get that high with the right NA parts. I have thought of going forged but the for the power goal I’m chasing is not needed (300KW) . Plus it’s all in the tune at how far I can go without detonation anyway.

-Once I get that done it’s off the buy the RB30/26 Sump adaptor. I have contacted RIPS and PRO ENGINES and decided to go with the PRO ENGINES, purely off price. $1000 all up for adaptor/oil pick up/crank collar/ - RIPS were quite a bit more expensive. (No offence to RIPS I’m sure there product is top notch)

That’s where at the present time with the acid hopefully getting done this week.

On my shopping list is the following.

ROSS Harmonic Balancer

Silicone Hose kit to replace all the worn out hoses (including intercooler piping)

Rochester 1000cc Injectors – cheap injectors will fit in standard location just need to trim the plug? Please clarify.

Gasket kit – Includes exhaust/head/intake

Basically to refresh the whole engine.

I would like to thank all the people that have help me to get this far especially Andrew from Hyperdrive Motor Sports in Perth. Handy to have someone so knowledgeable and willing to help even though I’m 500km away.

Also I will be selling the bottom half of the engine so recoup some costs. If anybody is interest let me know.

Here are some basic pictures of were i'm at the the mo.

post-36471-1252296917_thumb.jpg

post-36471-1252297252_thumb.jpg

post-36471-1252297339_thumb.jpg

Edited by whiteboy01

give the machinist the pistons with the block to be machined. you don't want to just guess the clearances.

rips also do other modifications to their standard NA parts builds. they aren't just slapped together to hold 600hp

Edited by TiTAN

give the machinist the pistons with the block to be machined. you don't want to just guess the clearances.

rips also do other modifications to their standard NA parts builds. they aren't just slapped together to hold 600hp

RIPS do put some magic to there engines I know but i'm going to the same lengths. Cheers.

I'm going to get the pistons bored out from standard to 0.20 tho over size and will order the pistons to suit. I won't be guessing at all. Cheers.

I'm hours away from drop the block off to the machinist now.

Sorry - yes i'm ordering the pistons 0.20 over size and getting the machinist to match up.

Thanks