SAU Community

Got 3.5k To Spend On R32 Gts-t

IM-32-FK

Oh yeh, 180,000kms for a turbo RB20 is a cake walk. Do not rebuild the motor, especially if the thing is still running. For example, my interanlly std RB20 had 70,000kms done on it when it was imported in 1999. Between 2000 and 2003 i did 50,000kms with the std turbo at 13-15psi and a hell of a lot of days at the track (Wakefield and EC)

At around 120,000kms in 2003 i threw a TD06-20G on it and started making about 215-225rwkws. It continued to get tracked. In mid-late 2004 i got hungry thinking i could get more power and at 150,000kms (i moved from Sydney to Melb that year, and had some work in SA so i racked up a hell of a lot of kms even though the car was in the workshop for 3 months) i played with cams gears and removing the remapped ECU and installed a Power FC. Some bad luck with spanner work and the mods meant the head was damaged at this time. The bottom end was still fine. In fact when the sump was removed the bottom end looked to be in perfect operating order.

So in went the new wrecker engine and i finally got the power i was after, and since then have done another 40,000kms on a wrecker engine makign 235-260rwkws, again with plenty of track work.

So that is a long winded response supporting why you should NEVER even think about doing a pre-emptive rebuild on an RB20, especially when you are only running a std turbo. If not for some wayward spanner work i am reasonably confident my original RB20 would still be alive at 190,000kms

I can testify to this, ive had my rb20 for 7 years on various mods, and never opened it up.

Running a fair wack of boost (19psi), on a large turbo (gt3082r) it makes decent power. Sure its a bit laggy, but as said its made up for when it really picks up speed.

250+rwkw in a 32 is enough to keep up with most repowered rb25's - no problems thrashing 90% of cars from 0-100kph

Even running a rb20de gearbox for the whole duration - its the torque that kills them not speed and since its laggy the box doesn't seem to mind one bit - even with some mid range clutch drops the box doesnt miss a beat.

A lot of people underrate the abilities of the 20, and its cheaper gearbox - but for price in hand, its a good direction to take for those on a budget.

That said, mines on 215,000 and still runs like it was 100,000

3.5k is not enough to make any real amount of power - almost better spending it on styling mods :P

The guy has 3.5k to spend. Of course an Rb20 will maxe out before an RB25. An RB25 will max out before an LS2! The guy has a budget of 3.5k so i dont think yo uhave to worry about maxing out either engine. Consider that a decent turbo upgrade will cost you 3.5k for the turbo, exhaust and inlet change, gaskets, coolant and oil change and tune!