SAU Community

Just Drove An Sti

benkoau

See, I don't think they have.

If course they are not going to be to everyones taste, but a lot of people have driven a WRX and assume an STi is same same but different. They're different beasts entirely, and personally I think both are good. A lot of people judge R33's and R33 drivers having not driven one before, but is it right to do so? The R33 is a really good car, but the general perception is that they're a boat and are driven by tossers. There's been a lot of misinformation in this thread and my point is don't judge a book by it's cover.

For the record, I owned a Clubsport before the rex, and have had RX-7's, RX-3's, 180SX's, Audi's, Golfs, Falcon's, Commodores and a few others too. I appreciate all good cars for their different abilities and attributes. Too many people in all parts of the car scene are too quick to stick their 2c in when they have no experience with which to make a valid judgement.

Also, in regards to the Ken Block thing you commented on, I highly doubt he'd do it so well in a GT-R. The thing was a rally car, and the GT-R was a brief but unsuccessful rally car as far as I'm aware and never was one on the world stage. The track is a different story though.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people judge R33's and R33 drivers having not driven one before, but is it right to do so? The R33 is a really good car, but the general perception is that they're a boat and are driven by tossers. There's been a lot of misinformation in this thread and my point is don't judge a book by it's cover.

What is this whole hate thing against R33's? I don't get it?

i love r33s... they feel solid on the road... they look wide.. and the engine has a great torque spread and a great sound different to the other RB's. the interior is simple and roomy.. but it still feels like a performance car. its easy to make them look good and they are the only skyline that doesnt look wank with gtr bits... except the badge.

i will admit i am a MY09 WRX driver and i did used to own a 200kw 98 40th anniversary R33 GTS-T prior so this is coming from someone that has owned both.

but i did drive the 08 Sti before i test drove my MY09. straight line speed the WRX is 1/10th slower from 0-100 and down the quarter compared to the Sti (5.4 0-100 to 5.3 0-100 quarter mile 13.4 compared to 13.3) they do share the same turbo the VF52 only the Rex runs slightly lower boost and seat of the pants they felt just as quick as each other i could not tell the Sti was 1/10th faster in the straight than the rex. in a straight line the evo IX (which i was considering up against the MY09 Rex) was slower than both in a straight line. reason why i went the Rex over the Evo was simply because i never saw myself going to the track, and for the same money i was buying an older car with less technology, a bumpier daily ride and similar attention to what i used to get in my skyline (which looked over the top and was part of the reason why i got rid of it). and in the 6 months i'v had my rex the performance for the street is really amazing. the grip defies physics. and the new technology in these newer cars really makes a huge difference to the overall cars performance.

my Rex has 195kw which is the same power that Stis used to produce up until 2006 (only in a lighter body than the Sti) so the launch off the line is out of control. literally all 1400kgs leaping forward off the line in one motion is an unreal feeling that everyone should experience at least once in their lives.

IMO AWDs in general are a lot more fun than RWD. and i have driven both. there is so much more available grip. exit speeds out of corners are rediculously fast. and they corner with so many more Gs than a RWD car that you can simply chuck it into any corner with so much confidence they are a lot less involving and a lot less challenging.

these new AWDs are no revelation at all but i will say go and test drive one if you are interested in buying one. and with a simple chiptorque/ekutek remap (flash of factory ECU) they respond very well to mods. they are literally point and shoot. which is part of the reason why they make such an excellent performance daily driver.

a lot of people ask me to compare the ride of my old R33 (sway bars, tein coil overs, strut bars, bushes, buddy club P1 racing wheels with Toyo tyres) to my new rex. and to put it simply. there is no comparison. the WRX is in a completely different league. its wet weather grip is almost as good as its dry grip WHICH IS FKN SCARY AS HELL AND DEFIES ALL PHYSICS. and my rex isn't even the Sti version. in the pouring rain corners that i would normally be hitting in my skyline at about 40-50kms/hr i could take at 80-90 km/hr and STILL no tyre slip. wet weather, dry weather, uneven mountain roads, uneven surfaces (in particular Sydney's shitty roads) AWD is king.

Edited by DrewII

and i'm having my car flashed by Chiptorque via Ezyflash. for $1095 the gains above standard 20-25kw at all four wheels WITHOUT an exhaust.

the tuning capabilities of these cars are also very impressive.

Edited by DrewII

and i'm having my car flashed by Chiptorque via Ezyflash. for $1095 the gains above standard 20-25kw at all four wheels WITHOUT an exhaust.

the tuning capabilities of these cars are also very impressive.

If you are looking to have your decision to go for the WRX validated by this forum you are in the wrong place. :blush:

I think AWD is great technology....it enables less skilled drivers to take corners at speeds beyond their ability in a RWD. :D

/yeah the new Impreza looks like a tall Ford Focus. >_<

If you are looking to have your decision to go for the WRX validated by this forum you are in the wrong place. :blush:

I think AWD is great technology....it enables less skilled drivers to take corners at speeds beyond their ability in a RWD. :D

/yeah the new Impreza looks like a tall Ford Focus. >_<

thats not the angle i was taking at all

just giving an opinion from someone thats been in all of your shoes not so long ago.

looks are too subjective anyway. i wasn't boasting about the looks of the new WRXs. im talking purely about the cars performance.

in the 4 years iv been on these forums, there have been that many threads boasting "Which model looks better??? the R33 looks like a boat, the R32 looks too old and dated, R34 boxy ugly interior etc etc" so even skyline owners reckon other skylines look shiit. but again. all in the eye of the beholder. and there have been a lot of these threads over the years.

Edited by DrewII

You are no doubt right about the grip and performance of the 09 wrx over a 12 year old R33, but jeez..... the new rex is ugly as sin. The now 20 year old R32 is a better looking car.

>_< x 2 I'm an ex-rex bod and believe that the last real rexs were the 00s and it's been all downhill from there culminating in 'The Betty' , now while this may be a fabulous car much beloved by the three or, wow, four people that bought them it's not a WRX , take a step back and look at the farkin thing , it looks like an American tarts shopping trolley.

Women when polled about ' The Betty' actualy liked them FFS, that should be a clear message that the mould had been well and truly broken.

Sorry call the friken thing anything you like , just not a WRX.

I thought the new WRX was fairly odd looking at first... but its really grown on me and I like it - especially the rear end, has a sleepy tough look to it.

Terminaly comatose comes to mind >_<

thats not the angle i was taking at all

just giving an opinion from someone thats been in all of your shoes not so long ago.

looks are too subjective anyway. i wasn't boasting about the looks of the new WRXs. im talking purely about the cars performance.

in the 4 years iv been on these forums, there have been that many threads boasting "Which model looks better??? the R33 looks like a boat, the R32 looks too old and dated, R34 boxy ugly interior etc etc" so even skyline owners reckon other skylines look shiit. but again. all in the eye of the beholder. and there have been a lot of these threads over the years.

Look you are on here (a Skyline forum) evangelizing the new WRX.

I'm glad you like it, the driver aids, the AWD...

Personally I can't see the point in a dick measuring contest between the new WRX and the R33 (or whatever)...a pointless exercise.

Personally also I don't like the look of it...and I'm not unique in taking that view...many of its harshest critics seem to be owners of the 1st and 2nd gen models.

Just saying.

Look you are on here (a Skyline forum) evangelizing the new WRX.

I'm glad you like it, the driver aids, the AWD...

Personally I can't see the point in a dick measuring contest between the new WRX and the R33 (or whatever)...a pointless exercise.

Personally also I don't like the look of it...and I'm not unique in taking that view...many of its harshest critics seem to be owners of the 1st and 2nd gen models.

Just saying.

lets agree to disagree then. you can keep your 12 year old R33 and i'll keep my MY09 WRX.

i wasn't evangelizing anything. just adding to the first post in this thread for all other people out there that haven't had the opportunity to share the same experience.

my car definitely ain't no revelation let me tell you now. in case that's what your thinking.

I thought the new WRX was fairly odd looking at first... but its really grown on me and I like it - especially the rear end, has a sleepy tough look to it.

and "typevu" i believe your starting to use your head with a lot more maturity once you start to appreciate a car design that fits in with other cars in the normal flow of day to day traffic. i'm not sure if your R33 is your daily driver or not but im guessing it is.

i had a 40th anni like yours. i was sick of people pointing and staring at me in traffic everyday. you get over the attention eventually. its just a stage that we all go through.

i would recommend you go take one for a drive. you will be very surprised.