SAU Community

R34 Gtt Turbo Help

Hey Guys, im new to this blogging thing and dont kno if i did it right.

well pretty much i have a R34 GTT 98 coupe, i have a Garret T28 Ball Bearing Turbo swapped from my cousin for a xbox 360 (he had 2 of them). i am wanting to change my stock turbo to put the T28 in for more response.

some ppl tell me that its a smaller turbo so there will be no high end power, but thats not what i want, i want response from the engine.

can you guys give me some insight of what i need and how to go about it? All he gave me was the turbo and actuator.

ps. also what size is the stock turbo on the r34 gtt? my stock boost gauge works and sometimes doesnt at all, but i still get the bov sound. any ideas?

thanks again and its good to be part of a community.

I'd think that you'd need some form of ECU or Piggy Back ECU like a Power FC or S-AFCII to tune the car after the turbo install. Your tuner should then be able to get it to the state you're looking for.

As for the boost gauge issue; sounds like a faulty boost sensor, as it if were a leak then I would suspect it wouldn't work at all.. I've been told it is a common issue with R34 GT-T's.

thanks for the reply R34 Wong, yeh for the ECU side, i am goin to Nistune after the turbo install, but with the T28, do u think im being stupid or is it actually worth it?

i mean the T28 has only done 2000ks, and i dont think i want to spend more money on something that i already have.

if its a common failure, i can no longer blame the gauge, i thought the bastard had a personal vendetta against me.

thanks again

no problems mate. We'll, I guess it all depends on how far you want to take the car. The modification bug is a strong pull...

If you're not looking to go too far, I'd suggest something along the lines of an S-AFCII, as it will allow you to revert your car back to stock and flog it if you intend to down the line.

Also means you can sell the S-AFCII seperately or else transfer it across to your new car.

Good luck with your car mate, and welcome to SAU.

T28 off what?

If the flange is different - forget it. Simply not worth the effort. Overall i still think it's a waste of time/effort/money. If you don't like how responsive a R34 NEO is with a factory turbo, you need to go buy a V8 :P

If you want more response... Keeping the stock turbo

1. Exhaust.

2. Full tune/ECU, adjusting the VCT as well for response if you are that serious

3. Up the boost to 10psi or so

4. Decent flowing panel filter in the stock airbox

It will feel much nicer everywhere from takeoff to the top end. Stock ECU's are filthy.

im not exactly sure but will the stock turbo be ok to handle power? slappin myself if sound silly but would the usage of power snap the nylon part?

coz atm i got the blitz podfilter, turbo back exhaust with high flo cat, fmic. i was goin to get nistune to piggy back the ecu after a turbo upgrade, but if u think otherwise, i will follow suit.

unfortunately i just dont kno as much as i would like to, thanks for the help.

my car is back firin alot, i changed the sparkplugs to platinum, oil change and throttle body clean, maybe tunin the ecu will help?

thanks for the reply

Edited by Fei Jai