SAU Community

Racepace Built R34 Gtr Nur Rb28 V-cam

Those carbon parts look great Matt! I was surprised you didnt go with the Nismo G-Attack suspension setup though considering the Nismo theme the rest of your car has?

Im jealous that Im not able to be in a simular spending spree for my cars at the moment having just bought a new house. Hopefully that will change in a month or so...

When will it stop, Matt? Haha.

I like the cooling panel. Very cool indeed.

On your first post, you noted you had a Mine's Silence VX Pro Titan catback at one stage. I'm thinking of getting this. Was there any reason you didn't keep it? Considering how expensive it is, i want to make the right choice..

Nice work Matt, you managed to get your hands on a set of Tein RS's. You won't be dissapointed once Racepace rebuilds/re-valves and customizes them. They will truely transform your car's handling while feeling very comfy and not rattle your teeth out...

GTRNUR Posted Yesterday, 08:25 PM

Those carbon parts look great Matt! I was surprised you didnt go with the Nismo G-Attack suspension setup though considering the Nismo theme the rest of your car has?

Hi GTRNUR,

Thanks. The reason I did not go for the Nismo R Tune setup or G-Attack setup is that they cannot be revalved or rebuilt locally as the valves and seals are hard to acquire even in Japan. Also the Japanese spring rates and damper settings are more often than not too harsh for Australian road conditions.

Fulcrum can revalve or rebuild Tein shocks with genuine seals and valves etc.

Huy Posted Today, 02:02 PM

When will it stop, Matt? Haha.

I like the cooling panel. Very cool indeed.

On your first post, you noted you had a Mine's Silence VX Pro Titan catback at one stage. I'm thinking of getting this. Was there any reason you didn't keep it? Considering how expensive it is, i want to make the right choice..

Hi Huy,

I am going to concentrate on the interior and fitting of the suspension next year and that's all on the agenda; or at least that's what I told to wife.

The Mine's Silence Vx pro 'appears' to be too constricted in diameter right where the exit pipe is welded to the silencer. I did not end up buying one. I considered it as one of my options initially until Ben told me his experience with a R34 from QLD that he tuned. He was BS'ing as the car was there when I visited his workshop and the Mines exhaust had surely been removed and eventually sold to someone else. Then again, others have had good success from the Mines exhaust; one thing though the Mines Titanium exhaust is immaculately hand crafted and can be hung on the mantle piece as a piece of art!

JAGR33 Posted Today, 02:13 PM

Nice work Matt, you managed to get your hands on a set of Tein RS's. You won't be dissapointed once Racepace rebuilds/re-valves and customizes them. They will truely transform your car's handling while feeling very comfy and not rattle your teeth out...

Hi Jack,

Finally got my hands on some Rs's after prowling Yahoo Japan Auctions for months. It was certainly not cheap by the time it landed. I am looking forward to a new level of handling!

Cheers all

Matt

The Mine's Silence Vx pro 'appears' to be too constricted in diameter right where the exit pipe is welded to the silencer. I did not end up buying one. I considered it as one of my options initially until Ben told me his experience with a R34 from QLD that he tuned. He was BS'ing as the car was there when I visited his workshop and the Mines exhaust had surely been removed and eventually sold to someone else. Then again, others have had good success from the Mines exhaust; one thing though the Mines Titanium exhaust is immaculately hand crafted and can be hung on the mantle piece as a piece of art!

Hi Matt,

still eagerly waiting to see/hear a vid of your Racepace exhaust?

Cheers

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Matt. May I add my congratulations to the many. I must admit, I am getting nervous that you are buying all of the parts that I have wanted - including quite a few that i cannot afford! Pretty soon, any thoughts I have had of my GTR being unique will have been caught up in your wash, as you forge on into JDM parts heaven!

I have got one or two bits still that you have not bought yet - but it is probably only a matter of time!

I hope to be able to put my own build thread together in a few weeks time. Had a bit of a setback recently with an N1 oil pump failure. :D I hope you have a Tomei oil pump!

All the best.

Cheers. :P

I wonder if the reason the N1 oil pumps are failing is due to the use of stock harmonic balancers. Would be good to find out. I also went for the tomei pump. not cheap at around 1400 bucks...

Mine had ATI harmonic balancer fitted. N1 pump still failed. Will add to the engine failure thread - don't want to distract this thread - sorry!

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to pry open Matt's hands for the keys for this car. It's what I expected, and then some!

The power delivery of this car is mind boggling. I could tell straight away from cruising at about 40km/h in 3rd gear that this car was heaps different to mine (2.6 litre with -5's). The bottom end torque of this car is exceptional.

The way it comes on boost and hits the redline is something you would expect from a v8. The power is very linear, does not give you the impression that it's turbo charged.

If only I could afford what's under the hood of this car.

It idles and sounds like a standard car, you could drive it to work everyday and not feel 'uncomfortable', would definetly not get sick of it as you would most 400+rwkw GTR's. Racepace has done a fantastic job, wouldn't expect anything less though!

Anyway, enough of my rambling, still can't get it out of my head...

Big thanks Matt for the drive....

Matt, you have one exceptional and unigue GT-R. :(

did it have the Nismo or RP Tein's in it??

you are so so so so so so so incredibly lucky.....

Hey Daniel,

No Teins, still had the Nismo S-Tune suspension.

Was quite impressed how soft and road compliant they were, they would make a great everyday driving kind of suspension.

But I would say that the Teins would edge them out in performance, once Racepace has modified them that is. :(

Didn't take it for a drive through some twisties but from what Matt tells me they do struggle for corner grip when pushed hard. I'd be confident in saying the Tein's would definetly improve that.

Yes, lucky indeed!!!!!

yeah, from what i've been reading the S-Tunes are a great road package, but don't quite have the beef in them for the track.

I'm sussing out R suspension options at the moment...

a bit OT, but what do you have in your R and how'd it compare to the S-Tunes?

a bit OT, but what do you have in your R and how'd it compare to the S-Tunes?

I have TEIN RS's in my car, with custom valving and modified spring seats to take custom springs.

Comparing them to the S-TUNE's in Matts car they are stiffer, but not to the point where they are rattling my teeth out (as per standard out of the box from Japan).

They gobble up bumps at high speed without un-settling the car. Could probably go a little softer in the rear, but the current setup suits Phillip Island so I'll leave it for the moment.

Thanks for your compliments Jack! It was great getting some feedback on the car from an experienced GTR owner and track driver like yourself. As N1GTR pointed out, Jack's car is no sleeper either, so for him to be impressed is truly something special. I am pleased that it gave you the thrills Jack!

What freaked me out the most was how 'FAST' the car felt as a passenger with a capable driver at the wheel. It actually felt 'scary', even though I knew Jack was in total control and the car was performing well within its capabilities. I guess without the steering wheel to grab hold of and some anticipation from your own accelerator input gives one an exaggerated sensation of speed.

It would be great to get someone like The Stig to take this car around a standard test track and find out how it compares to other sports car, R35 etc.

Thanks MLcrisis for your congratulations! Good luck with your project. Look forward to seeing your progress

Cheers

Matt

A car that gets the Jack tick of approval MUST be special, when most GTR owners would kill for your own car mate!

LOL, your making out like I'm some expert!!! Although owning my car now for close to 8 years and driving numerous amounts of other GT-R's you do get a feel of what a 'good' GT-R is like compared to a 'great' one. Especially when driven in anger on the track.... :banana:

Thanks for your compliments Jack! It was great getting some feedback on the car from an experienced GTR owner and track driver like yourself. As N1GTR pointed out, Jack's car is no sleeper either, so for him to be impressed is truly something special. I am pleased that it gave you the thrills Jack!

What freaked me out the most was how 'FAST' the car felt as a passenger with a capable driver at the wheel. It actually felt 'scary', even though I knew Jack was in total control and the car was performing well within its capabilities. I guess without the steering wheel to grab hold of and some anticipation from your own accelerator input gives one an exaggerated sensation of speed.

It would be great to get someone like The Stig to take this car around a standard test track and find out how it compares to other sports car, R35 etc.

Thanks MLcrisis for your congratulations! Good luck with your project. Look forward to seeing your progress

Cheers

Matt

LOL, again my apologies if I made you uncomfortable in your car, could not help staying on the loud pedal and experiencing this fine work of machinery. It does feel heaps faster when being a passenger, your not in control and do not know what the car is about to do. I'm a bad passenger, so I know where your coming from.

And as I said on the day, your car in the hands of Jeremy Clarkson in a review on Top Gear would be interesting, he would definetly be pleasantly surprised. Especially how standard it looks under the bonnet and without telling him what modifications it has, would love to see the look on his face when giving it some stick for the first time.

Have been looking at prices on V-CAM, would be interesting to see what difference it would make on a 2.6 bottom end.... :D

One thing for sure it will make a big difference to the hip pocket.... :(:banana: