SAU Community

Racepace Built R34 Gtr Nur Rb28 V-cam

Amazing thread to go with an amazing car. Your choice of parts and the carbon/colour combo couldn't have been more spot on!

Add me to the list of people waiting for the vids!

Can't wait to see the feature, any idea what issue # it will be?

If you have a spare 100k then you should give it to me. Saw this cars absolute twin the other day...not sure I would want the identical car running around...but cant blame two cars turning out very similar when they are such great things

Must be that Silver one with same mods in GTR.co.uk site... but So nice.... would probably end up copying inside Carbon idea, when i get mine... Everything else in this car is so out of the average Joe "Mine" budget, it's not funny. where those video's

I started reading this thread a few months ago when only the teaser pics were up.

Found the thread again and spent all night reading it.

Perfect, tasteful, powerful R34 GTR. This over a R35 anyday. :P

How's your gearbox holding up by the way?

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all,

Just a quick update on the suspension upgrade with Racepace customised Tein RS setup.

The Tein RS, aka 'Circuit Master; Super Racing Spec', has been out of production since 2006-2007. They were the top of the line in the Tein catalogue for production cars at that time. In some ways, I feel that the materials used and the way it was manufactured surpass what's commonly available today, even the premium priced shocks.

Details of the RS are listed below (sourced from US based my.is forum in 2002)

MATERIALS AND FACTS:

DAMPING MECHANISM:

45mm diameter pistons

Double shim stacks (near unlimited tunability with knowledge of shim valves)

Two 'special form' adjustment needles

SHOCK/RESERVOIR BODY:

Monotube shock body

53mm outer diameter

Aluminum alloy (A7050) seamless tube, CNC'ed, green (hard?) anodized

Inner tolerances:

diameter: ±5µm

roughness: ±1.6µm

Reservoir body interior is PTFE (Teflon) coated

CNC'ed aluminum alloy eyelet, Tein rubber bushing, steel pivot

SHOCK SHAFT:

14mm diameter

Chromoly (SCM435) steel, Ti-N coating

SHAFT SEAL/GUIDE:

WRC spec

PILLOWBALL MOUNT:

Aluminum alloy, CNC'ed, powdercoated (gold)

SPRINGS:

Main and helper

Steel, ground and tapered, enameled

10K front, 10K rear

SPRING PERCHES:

Aluminum alloy, forged and machined

SETTINGS:

-34mm front, -12mm rear (easier measured as 335mm both from the center of the wheel to the fender lip, front and rear)

10 clicks rebound front

10 clicks compression front

10 clicks rebound rear

13 clicks compression rear

Out of the box, the RS will not suit my purpose of a street orientated setup in Australian conditions. So the solution Racepace derived is to employ a high quality, well engineered shock to begin with and customise the valving and spring rates.

The current spring rates are less than half of 10K front and rear. The exact rate Racepace did not divulge and so is what they did to the revalving. BUT believe me, the setup works very very well.

My initial impression, compared to the Nismo S Tunes, which is also street orientated:

- The damping is comparable, soaks up bumps and road undulations well. The rebound is quicker than the S Tunes, that the RS is less 'cushy'

- The car feels more planted and can hold its intended steering path despite mid corner bumps etc

- At very low speeds, the RS is very compliant

The only annoying thing is an annoying 'whimper' originating from the rear shocks at very minute bumps. It almost sounds like someone rubbing a wet finger on clean glassware. However, I did some research and found that this is quite common, and indicates no fault. The pillow ball mounts also transfer more road noise to the cabin.

I spent a good afternoon with Chris from Racepace. And this is how I feel as a passenger..... Well Chris test drove the car in a 'hill' run. (Chris is an excellent driver btw. He scared the sh*t out of me)

- The car feels like its on tracks and bumps do not upset the momentum.

- Car feels planted, period!

Chris comments that the RS allows him to transfer weight nicely and from the get go the setup is confidence inspiring. That is he can drive a lot quicker if I was not in the car with him. He was extremely happy with the way the RS can handle the low speed stuff equally as well as the high speed.

Overall, I am very impressed, bearing in mind that the Nismo S Tunes were very good to start with. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting a street car to go for less spring rate but good damping force.

Final thing on the agenda - increase ride height on front end and transfer case reinforcement.

PS will post pics on weekend.

Cheers

Matt

can still buy the tein RS from tein japan :)

can still buy the tein RS from tein japan :banana:

oreally? I can only see reference to "super racing spec" on their sites which I believe were the same thing, but everyone reports them as being discontinued.

I am up for a set if this is true and someone can speak Japanese!!

Hi all,

I am totally amazed at the continued support and interest in my build.

Regarding some of the queries:

The gearbox is holding up well despite the extra power. I guess I do look after the gearbox by avoiding any hard launches.

Second hand Tein RS still pop up every now and then on Yahoo Japan. You need to check frequently to find them and they do sell rather quickly. I sourced my set with help from Import Monster.

I am looking forward to the Performance Import featuure article. However, I have received no news as to when it will be published or even seen proofs of Jun Sawa's work. They are certainly keeping me in suspense.

Cheers

Matt

Matt Im so glad you have had your PI shoot. with mine still a couple months away it almost gaurentees i wont be in the same magazine haha...which im very thankful for.

Must be time to use your modifying talent on a 35 now too :(

Hi all,

I am totally amazed at the continued support and interest in my build.

Regarding some of the queries:

The gearbox is holding up well despite the extra power. I guess I do look after the gearbox by avoiding any hard launches.

Second hand Tein RS still pop up every now and then on Yahoo Japan. You need to check frequently to find them and they do sell rather quickly. I sourced my set with help from Import Monster.

I am looking forward to the Performance Import featuure article. However, I have received no news as to when it will be published or even seen proofs of Jun Sawa's work. They are certainly keeping me in suspense.

Cheers

Matt

Hey Matt,

I will be in touch to catch up soon.. i do believe its out January but will confirm.....

:(

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Its been a while since an update. I finally got around to posting the pictures below of Tein RS before the installation.

Yes, you are right, that is a another set of Tein RS in one of the pictures that Racepace was modifying at the time my set was being done.

img0222c.jpg

img0225le.jpg

Eibach coils

img0228g.jpg

custom aluminium spring seat:

img0230v.jpg

I will take installed photos soon

Cheers

Matt