SAU Community

Racepace Built R34 Gtr Nur Rb28 V-cam

GTRNUR Posted Today, 07:31 PM

Do the N1 blocks come in that nice graphite looking colour? Pretty!

So where's today's instalment Matt?

Ahh! Patience grasshopper! LOL

You asked for it, so here's today's instalment...

Engine fully assembled after many hours of meticulous craftsmanship and labour by Beno and the Racepace team. Beno said he does not know how to build an engine to a better standard than this as everything has been done to a high degree of accuracy and minimal tolerance. As for the head itself, its fully re-conditioned to Racepace 'secret' specs. Therefore there are no photos of the actual assembly itself.

84819952.jpg

33134623.jpg

35911178.jpg

86644064.jpg

58765604.jpg

59090345.jpg

86865699.jpg

53043785.jpg

75173016.jpg

Note: Tomei Oil pump; new N1 water pump; Racepace 9 L circuit oil sump; and sitting atop the head - HKS V Cam!

Next to come - Tomei dumps, Tomei manifolds and mounting of the Garrett puppies!

obviously ben hasnt put an aftermarket harmonic balancer on your motor, i wasnt sure if he uses the stock balancer for all his hardcore builds

Im guessing its just slipped on to allow the engine to be easily turned a little to line up the the timing belt reference marks.

Considering Matts budget on this beast, it will be running an ATI or something of equalivent quality.

I almost bought an ATI harmonic balancer until Beno advised me to stick with the stocker.

Again, the principle is don't buy anything that does not yield or translate to any direct 'real world' benefit. The focus on the build is street orientated.

I don't think even some of the more hardcore Racepace circuit or Targa prepared cars have aftermarket harmonic balancer, but then again, I could be mistaken.

I almost bought an ATI harmonic balancer until Beno advised me to stick with the stocker.

Again, the principle is don't buy anything that does not yield or translate to any direct 'real world' benefit. The focus on the build is street orientated.

I don't think even some of the more hardcore Racepace circuit or Targa prepared cars have aftermarket harmonic balancer, but then again, I could be mistaken.

Tangomatt, I think you might want to have have a read of this post and reconsider buying that ati. http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Da...html&st=120 .Sure the stock balancer is a good item, but as the name of the part implies it is really only good for stock or slightly better than stock power outputs. For a car like this, the only thing stock on this car is probably the door handles! A good balancer will definitely help with keeping harmonics at a minimum when revving its tits off, which will probably help save the oil pump too.

Edited by AtomicBomberMan

Thanks for the information, AtomicBomberMan. I will inquire Beno about that again. I rather be safe than sorry; you can never be too cautious with these things.

Cheers

Matt

Found a photo of the new N1 block mounted on an engine stand:

And out with the 'old' NUR engine:

If there is anyone interested in a genuine NUR long block with low mileage, then please pm me.

Hey man, jst wanna say that ive enjoyed reading your build so far; definitely keep checking for updates everyday.

I am interested in you old NUR longblock, it has your stock crank, rods and pistons right? wouldnt mind a spare stock block just in case mine throws the towel.

im not sure if you sold it yet so please pm me if you still have it for sale, im in victoria BTW, northern subz

-Johnny

Let's have a look at the engine with the Garrett -5s mounted with Tomei dumps and manifolds.

dsc01152qf.jpg

dsc01148ee.jpg

If you look closely, you can just get a peek of the manifolds hiding under the factory heat shield:

dsc01147mr.jpg

Exhaust:

In order to make the turbos spool up hard and fast, Racepace really paid a lot of attention to the design of the exhaust and front pipes. The aim is to achieve higher flow than the stage one exhaust yet maintain similar noise levels.

Racepace outsources their metal fabrication to an 'old school craftsman' with tens of years of experience in automotive racing industry and the quality of the mandrel bends and welding is a testimony of his skills

Just look at those front pipes! Its a work of art how one of the pipes snakes around the other. This is a one off design that, according to Beno, is supposed to give a growl that is befitting of a RB28, especially at high revs. I can assure you he does not BS with his claims.

27962675.jpg

78053624.jpg

From front pipes back, its 4 inch all the way with decent sized silencers for noise suppression. The exit is twin 3 inch pipes in raw metal finish which I am sure will age with heat for a more battle hardened look.

I specified a twin pipe outlet, because I think a big single 5 inch outlet would just attract the wrong sort of the attention from the authorities. Besides the twin outlets fill the rear bumper cutout better for a more balanced look. The ground clearance is like stock, therefore no scrapping on incline driveways!

49242693.jpg

81621673.jpg

71122615.jpg

35980336.jpg

Take a close look at the TIG welding. There is no need to buy a JDM exhaust when we have such skills and talents locally.

18735005.jpg

awesome build Matt. The quality of the parts and the workmanship is amazing.

Hopefully I will get to see this car at SAUVIC show and shine again this year.

Can I ask, did you ever consider going down the rb30 path when you were planning the build?

9krpm Posted Today, 09:15 AM

That design is similar to my old Mine's front pipe.

That style has awesome sound at midrange and top end.

You are right 9krpm, the two designs look almost identical. I am sure Beno must have drawn inspiration form something he has seen before.

Sandeep Posted Today, 07:50 PM

awesome build Matt. The quality of the parts and the workmanship is amazing.

Hopefully I will get to see this car at SAUVIC show and shine again this year.

Can I ask, did you ever consider going down the rb30 path when you were planning the build?

Thanks Sandeep. I will definitely be at the Show and Shine this year.

I did give RB30 serious consideration. In fact I was very close to buying the RB29 engine from the Racepace R33 GTR when it was for sale a while ago, until Beno decided to purchase the whole car back for himself.

I got a quote from RIPS as well for their RB30 bottom end, but in the end Beno advised against it even though he can install the RB30 for me no problems. The main issue of the RB30 is that it sits 25mm higher in the engine bay. Therefore alot of custom fabrication work is required. And also I needed to import the RIPS bottom end from NZ.

I would have given RB30 more consideration if the High Octane bottom end was available back then before I started the build.

Cheers

Matt

only other stroker I would consider over a racepace jobbie is the RIPS one... but I reckon you made the right choice... with a build like this best to keep it all in the one shop

those manifolds are so nice its almost a shame to hide them under the shields... best to keep it all looking as stock as possible... that HKS cam cover might give the game away though, looks trick!