SAU Community

Mallala Trackday - Nov 23

V35-2005

How many times did David spin today?

None. It makes a difference having 4WD and a longer wheel base. Plus the 205 GTI is renown for lift off oversteer which is unusual in a FWD car.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best was only 1:27, didn't really get a chance to put out a decent lap on the new QFM A1RM pads i put in after lunch, the shitty QFM HPX pads gave me no confidence at all while braking, was so focused on braking with the HPX pads I wasn't able to use the cones at all. Though in the future I'll try and remember where the initial turn in cones were

None. It makes a difference having 4WD and a longer wheel base. Plus the 205 GTI is renown for lift off oversteer which is unusual in a FWD car.

does it get any of that inside rear wheel lifting on the bends or is stiffer suspension needed for that?

does it get any of that inside rear wheel lifting on the bends or is stiffer suspension needed for that?

I didn't manage to get it to cock its leg but I believe that can be done with the standard suspension. I'll ask on the Aussiefrogs forums. Probably turn 1 after the main straight or the last turn of the S before going onto the main straight are the only corners at Mallala where this would happen. Maybe I wasn't driving hard enough :thumbsup:

I hope your engine is ok Luke.

Ringlands were Craigs problem, severe detonation busted them real good. Any slight bit of curry and mass smoke. Poor bugger, heart goes out to ya Craig! Big thanks for letting me borrow the camera, I'll hook you up with it again soon :P

Yeah no stress mate - car's not too bad although haven't opened it up much, kept the boost below 0.5bar for the drive home. Started it this morning and didn't blow any smoke so not sure - will do a compression test soon and see what's up with it. Worst thing was got home around 3pm and the house had been broken into and around $10k worth of stuff stolen - bloody pricks. So wasn't really the best day I've ever had, was supposed to fly to Darwin this morning as well but don't have a suitcase anymore so that didn't happen!!! :thumbsup:

Yeah no stress mate - car's not too bad although haven't opened it up much, kept the boost below 0.5bar for the drive home. Started it this morning and didn't blow any smoke so not sure - will do a compression test soon and see what's up with it. Worst thing was got home around 3pm and the house had been broken into and around $10k worth of stuff stolen - bloody pricks. So wasn't really the best day I've ever had, was supposed to fly to Darwin this morning as well but don't have a suitcase anymore so that didn't happen!!! :thumbsup:

That's f**ked mate, sorry to hear. Terrible day for you indeed! :P

ill have you know Andrew that i got my little hairdressers car around in a best time of 1:32.2, so not to far off you! Pretty happy with it considering that was my first time on a track and the car is essentially stock. Ive got some video here so ill get Luke to do his thing and put it up asap.

Great day overall best fun I've had in awhile.

Ecstatic about pulling 1:25.9 in the GTS-T, hopefully with a break upgrade and a slight touch up tune for a bit more power we'll see some faster times out of the red beast :-) :P

actually, that was the lines the instructor was telling me to take, late apex's through the first two corners, and then a slight slide through the third to keep the revs up to get a little more out of it on to the straight. I was experimenting with different stuff all day, because it sounded a bit weird to me as well, but this was definitely the fastest way through there in my car. I noticed benji in the starlet was also on the same line, so obviously its the better way through there for smaller, less powerfull cars.

I was using bridgestone potenza adrenalin RE001 in 205/50/R15 on a 5.5" rim. They held up really well, i was out for nearly 15 laps before they started to get hot and slid around a bit. Heslo has the same sort of tyre on the front of his GTR, and i think (but dont quote me) he has The Toyo R888 semi slicks on the back. Jugz in the maroon r33 gtst had some sparkly new Kuhmo KU36's (i m pretty sure thats what they're called) and Benji in the starlet also has the adrenalins, which he pretty well destroyed by the end of the day. I think you'll find most of the people out there were on performance street tyres, with the exception of a handfull of the more track preped cars.

out of curiosity, can you guys list your starting and best timed laps here?

i had a beer with one of the instructors (Dean) last night and he said that the best feedback for the instructors is to see how much people improve over the day.

for example, my starting time with the V35 at the private trackday last month was 1'40.9 and i got a series of 1'34s (timed by Glenn and Jugz) with a best of 1'34.5 for the day.

Edited by V35-2005

My first lap was 1:25.10. Lap at the end of the day was 1:24.20

Was kinda disappointed with how I went, as I said on the day felt as if I did better on the untimed laps then when the pressure came I just lost it. No matter, always next time and I had an assload of fun anyways :)

my first timed lap was a 1:36, which was after only 3 laps of the track. Best time was a 1:32.2, with out the cones. The instructor (dave) estimated his time in my car to be a high 1:30, so i was pretty happy with my efforts.

Luke, you just weren't pushing hard enough, when you think about it, both me and jugz ran off the track at some stage, and thus found the limits, and then went on to improve our times. You cruised around quite happily and without an untidy moment all day. Id say there's definatley more pace in the car than what your getting at the moment, you just have to pluck up the courage to take that extra 50m under brakes or push that extra 10 km/h through the corners but it means you might end up in the dirt.

My first lap was 1:25.10. Lap at the end of the day was 1:24.20

Was kinda disappointed with how I went, as I said on the day felt as if I did better on the untimed laps then when the pressure came I just lost it. No matter, always next time and I had an assload of fun anyways :)

Hey Luke, what part of the track did you have trouble with and what do you think you were doing wrong at the time?