SAU Community

Mallala Trackday - Nov 23

V35-2005

The kink just before the esses... Went in too hot time and time again, screwing my line and losing precious time. No matter, have now bought a lap timer off Kim so I can constantly monitor and chip away at times. Accurately too :)

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to get bigger balls and come out of the "s's" faster onto the straight.

Just afraid of hitting the wall :)

My brakes held up fine. Must be the big power they gotta stop lol

That thought was always in the back of my mind

Well I ran my (rather ordinary) street tyres, and my brakes faded like buggery after just 2 decent laps .... my tyres were so bad I got massive understeer into every corner (regardless of my entry speed) and my traction control flashed exiting every corner .... I would think some decent rubber would chew quite a few seconds off my 1:30 best lap. Might be time to invest in some real Brembos too :)

My biggest criticism of the day was that it was really hard to get a clean lap and not catch up to other cars.

I was in group 2 for the timed laps and kept running into cars from group 1 doing their cool down lap & cars from group 3 doing their warm up laps. Everyone was considerate and tried to move out of the way but it forces you off the racing line and stuffed up the entry for the next corner. For the last set of timed laps I deliberately waited until group 4 was on the track and even then did a 2nd warm up lap as I could see I'd catch the cars ahead of me. It was no surprise that I finally managed a clean lap and posted my best lap times for the day.

But to answer your question Kim I posted 1:27.x & 1:26.x in the first set of timed laps and went down to 1:24.06 for my final timed lap. I think they are going to post out the lap results with some notes.

Hey Guys, Bengi Here

Thought i would finally sign up, so i can thank kim myself for the fantastic day (and all you SAU boys who quite happily accept me into your track days). Was a fantastic day, destroyed 3 out of 4 tyres and boiled my brake fluid. :blink:

the times i ran in the morning were a 1:37:x and a 1:36:x and in the afternoon i came down to a 1:29:3 which i feel is pretty good. like David said, catching the car ahead became an issue, not because i was quicker but because we were so close leaving pits and we were fairly evenly matched. on our final timed laps i was running behind one of the supras which was quicker than me on the straights but when we got to corners he was breaking way earlier than i wanted to and therefore slowing me down. but hey, on that lap i still managed a 1:30:x so i wont compain to much :D

Cheers Bengi

Bengi - a 1'29.3 is an awesome lap time in the Starlet! that's comparable with some of the S15's i have seen out at Mallala in the past and as fast as most NA Supras.

glad to hear that you had lots of fun and i look forward to seeing you out there next time!

Welcome Bengi and well done on a 1:29.3! That's an awesome lap time in your little Scarlet. Don't think that I'd get close to that in the Peugeot. How much power is that Toyota putting out and what does it weigh?

Kim - did you sell your lap timer to Luke or did you just facilitate the purchase of another unit for Luke? If the former are you upgrading to another model?

And to everyone who had a camera please post some more photos & footage.

BTW I think it's pretty funny that we have a Helso, HELSLO & a Helso's + 1 on the forums now. :blink:

Haha, i thought about being a Heslo + 2 but being a follower (like glenn didn't really do much for me :blink: ), the starlet has recorded a best of 108.8kw @12psi on the morpowa dyno (know for being a little high) and i would guess it weights around the 900kg mark with me inside.

You should bring the 205 out for the next day if i still have the starlet by then, so we can have mad front wheel drive battles

Cheers Bengi

Nice Justin! have any more?

Only a few more on the camera which i'll download later, no offence but my eyes weren't on the skylines :bunny:

Also have a few pics of the August 2A track day, want me to whack them up somewhere?

Edited by JTMILLER