Distraction Accident!

GTR-N1

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

...and again this week...

Young lady in Daily Telegraph is looking for her 'saviour' who pulled her out of her car upside-down in the water. Remaining anonymous, he left the scene without introducing himself. Typical SAUer perhaps?

She was distracted by something in her hair > made her swerve off the road > into the creek.

A few months ago in the winter I was driving along the freeway at 100kmph when a plastic shopping bag was suddenly sucked through my window and suctioned onto my entire face, it was all dirty and wet as well as it had been raining. Luckily being such an awesomely awesome driver my initial reactions were to keep the steering wheel still and brake slowly until I peeled the bag off my face and threw it back out the window to attack some other unsuspecting motorist. Porbably the only instance of a close(ish) call I have to crashing from a distraction.

Heres one for the lawyers....if there is any here :blink:

back in 2000 after a splitting up with my gf, hitting the substances and breaking my arm, things got even better when, on the way to move my stuff out of her house, i ran into the ass of a toyota echo in my cortina with no insurance, i had a dent in my bumper, the echo was bent in half and almost a write-off with even the roof being replaced

Now i wasnt under the influence of anything more than a couple of panadeine at the time and it was auto so driving with one arm was easy but heres what happened

Parked at a red light under the freeway overpass the light goes green..Now at almost the same time i hear sirens and look over to see an ambulance going the other way, however it was not yet moving and there was no flashing lights which was kind of confusing..

By now my car was moving when i look straight only to see brake lights, and a policecar hard on the skids into the intersection after flying down the offramp trying to beat the red light.(which he quite obviously didnt)

I hit the echo which then goes sliding towards the divvy van locked up in the middle of the intersection, luckily stopping just short..the police ask if we are ok then take off down the road..

me and the lady start to change details etc before the police return 5 minutes later

Now because i had moved house and for the coming months i was too busy drowning my sorrows to check my mail or change my address, i soon realized that.... i was supposed to go to court,.... was supposed to of been at court,

was now being slugged with a $8000 bill for the damage..

I originally felt i was at fault because i had hit her from behind, but letters from various solicitors suggested otherwise..

Stating that because the police had run a red light at a blind intersection that i was not the only one at fault...And given that i was also distracted by the ambulance and sirens i feel i could of escaped some/all of this ..

BY not showing up to court i obviously shot myself in the foot and have sinced paid the money owed. But i am interested to now if anyone here has any enlightenment on where i actually stood in this matter

My distraction accident - Ran up the ass of a Proton Jumbuck whilst glancing over at a 3 car pile up on my left. Only looked for barely a second, but the road I was on always banks up quick. Apparently $3,500 + worth of damage on vehicle in front, I only ended up replacing my headlights.

• 3 weeks later...
a while ago i was driving in the city and something flew in the window and landed on me (ended up being a bug) and i looked and flicked it off and when i looked back up i was almost in an intersection with a red light i hit the brakes hard but ended up in the middle.

It really is impressive to think that a bug or huntsman spider weighing 2g can frighten the living daylights out of a driver weighing 80,000g :D

It really is impressive to think that a bug or huntsman spider weighing 2g can frighten the living daylights out of a driver weighing 80,000g :D

lol yeah thats true, luckily it was just some flying bug, because if it was a spider i would of opened the door and jumped out, i wouldnt care how fast i would be going or where my car is heading lol.

lol yeah thats true, luckily it was just some flying bug, because if it was a spider i would of opened the door and jumped out, i wouldnt care how fast i would be going or where my car is heading lol.

:(

There's actually a precedent where a man (or was it a woman) got off a neg. driving charge because of a bee landing on his(her) body whilst driving.

• 4 months later...
It really is impressive to think that a bug or huntsman spider weighing 2g can frighten the living daylights out of a driver weighing 80,000g :blush:

Man your huge Terry, Oh wait......grams I see what you did there :happy:

I would consider looking in the rearview mirror before deciding whether it's safer to stop or not. That's a bit like checking for traffic after you've driven through a give way sign.

I was involved in such a accident about a month ago, I approached a set of lights, they turned yellow, I was still a fair bit back from when the dotted lines becomes solid, so I braked & stopped. As I was stopping I heard tire screeching sound & I got rear ended by a van who wasn't paying attention/following too close.

I got rear bumper damage & exhaust damage. Now if I had floored it when I saw the light turn yellow I could have avoided getting rear ended (& I will need to accelerate up to pass the lights, if I maintain the same speed the light will turn red while I'm about 1/2 way through). But that particular intersection has cameras & the way I see it was, I got rear ended & the other driver was 100% responsible & I'm getting my car fixed for free, but if I try to run the lights I could potentially end up with a massive fine (last time I checked going through red was 4 points & 4 penalty units) & I'm not sure if the camera there is also one of those dual function cameras that also catches you speeding.

Since I'm a cheap ass Asian I rather just get rear ended & get my car fixed for free then having to risk a massive fine & having to pay for it myself.

Now if it were a 30 tonne road train tailgating me then I would have choosen to floor it pass the lights instead :happy:

I would consider looking in the rearview mirror before deciding whether it's safer to stop or not. That's a bit like checking for traffic after you've driven through a give way sign.

You are more dangerous on the road if you are looking behind you while considering braking. You do not give way to the rear under the road rules. If you stop and anyone runs into the back of you they are at fault. Yes, you do no want your car damaged but that first point should only be used before approaching an intersection even though you should not be accelerating towards an intersection you are supposed to cruise at the speed you are going so braking is safer.

Its not my responsability if a semi slams into me from behind and i'm killed. But i'm still dead...

Implying the truckie would not be slowing already.

Edited by MSTRshenanigans