SAU Community

What Should I Be Paying For An Rb25det Conversion Into An R32gtst ?

Visionaree

Hey guys unfortunately I'm finding out more and more wrong with this R32 that i bought last week lol i was really stupid to not try and find someone that knows what there looking for (bad things)

in a car before i bought it. but yeah im curious weather i should stick the the RB20 (146.000K) and fix the leak the turbo has. or totally convert it to the Rb25 because i only want to make the power that the 25 has out of my 20. so.. i dont know?? could any one help ? :( is is worth the money fixing the 20 rather than replacing it? i dont really even know if the turbo is leaking all im getting that from is from when my foot is flat from 2000rpm to 4000 boost hits what its suposed to wich is 12 or 13 on the guage but after 4000 it drops down slowly to 10 and then 8. ?? is that a leak?

payed 3 for my motor, 1.5 for the gearbox and ~1k labour, i could have gotten it cheaper but i bought the motor/gearbox seperately. If you are going to do the conversion make sure you do it all together, i did the motor first then the gearbox abit down the track because i didnt have the patience to save and do it all at once. payed the price and got stung 1k labour each time

what is this leak ? It isnt leaking oil by what I gather rather your boost is dropping off. what boost controller are you running ? What turbo is on it ?

im really new to the turbo import scene sorry... im not exactly sure what it is but when i accelerate foot flat from 1800rpm to 4500rpm boost hits and stays at 13 but then after 4500 it creeps down to about 8. my boost controller is a manual twist top type. should i maybe adjust it down ? its only a stock turbo with stock cooler.

Just because there is a bit of leaky oil you wanna change out the motor?

no not because of the leak but just what iv herd about the 25's all people ever tell me is that there bullet proof. are they kidding me?

id rather pump a 20 all day long than a 25

After reading what people on here say about the 20 yeah i'm starting to agree. has anyone ever had a 20 rebuilt ? if so what did it cost and how long did it take ?

dude u got a boost leak. i had a similar problem. bought myself an electrnic boost controller and presto, hold boost fine now :D.

why the hell would u change the motor when there appears to be nothing wrong with your current one?

dude u got a boost leak. i had a similar problem. bought myself an electrnic boost controller and presto, hold boost fine now :D .

why the hell would u change the motor when there appears to be nothing wrong with your current one?

Oh OK thanks man. yeah im really really new to everything about these kind of things... i guess i jumped to conclusions too fast :) thanks dude i can sleep now lol

dude u got a boost leak. i had a similar problem. bought myself an electrnic boost controller and presto, hold boost fine now :D .

So are you saying you got an electronic boost controlller to fix a boost leak?

course not. but in my circumstance we eliminated the possibility of a boost leark (checked all hoses, intercooler piping etc),then changed the intake pipe to a steel item to illiminate it as being the culprit (by sucking shut),then even changed the turbo actuator. when all those failed, we installed a ebc (was running a turbosmart dual stage boost tap prior) and now she hold boost at 1.3 bar :(

course not. but in my circumstance we eliminated the possibility of a boost leark (checked all hoses, intercooler piping etc),then changed the intake pipe to a steel item to illiminate it as being the culprit (by sucking shut),then even changed the turbo actuator. when all those failed, we installed a ebc (was running a turbosmart dual stage boost tap prior) and now she hold boost at 1.3 bar :)

Can i buy a steel intake pipe? or do you have to get them custom made? also will a steel pipe with a pod on the end make a flutter/dose sound??

fk me, If you wanna swap the motor because of what sounds to be a small boost leak of some kind, then your best to take it to a mechanic who knows what he/she is doing to find the problem. Just so you dont wind up paying $5000 for something that might only cost 50 cents.

Good Luck

mate instead of sitting on the computer typing on a forum, why not book the car into a performance workshop (surprise, there are plenty of them) and get them to give the car a once over. then u have peace of mind knowing that the problems have been fixed, and u didnt have to fork out 7K for a new engine. 14 pound with a stock 32 cooler isnt the smartest idea either..

OH one more stupid question... How does a manual boost controller work? iv twisted the top the way it says to twist to turn it down but when i tested it its still hitting 13. i think i may have to turn the nut that's under the top too?? sorry... i work in a computer store and get these kind of stupid questions from customers all the time and i know how annoying simple stuff like this is.