SAU Community

Engineers Australia

wins_wbe

What do you need to know thats not on the website?

I used to be a graduate member before everyone tell me its useless unless what you're doing requires it. But I'm looking at rejoining next yr to start the bloody CPEng application.

What do you need to know thats not on the website?

I used to be a graduate member before everyone tell me its useless unless what you're doing requires it. But I'm looking at rejoining next yr to start the bloody CPEng application.

coz im applying and preparing may application.. just want to ask if all my papers are correct and im on the right track.. is there any

interview?

What application? If its CPEng, I think there is. You will have to give a presentation as well according to the guide that gave us. Maybe check with someone who did theirs at your workplace. But if its just a normal membership, there's none. Just submit your degree and those documents they ask for and it should be enough.

What application? If its CPEng, I think there is. You will have to give a presentation as well according to the guide that gave us. Maybe check with someone who did theirs at your workplace. But if its just a normal membership, there's none. Just submit your degree and those documents they ask for and it should be enough.

pm sent

Its soon going to be worth doing your CPEng. The government are trying to pass laws where only CPEng Engineers can sign off on engineering documents etc. Basically you will be required to have it to work as an engineer soon. Queensland have already passed those laws and WA is looking to follow.

I believe in QLD whats changed is you will require CPEng to apply for RPEQ. So technically you still cant sign off drawings with CPEng, you will still need RPEQ.

RPEQ from what I understand is experience based unlike CPEng which you can just get within 3yrs after graduation with proper guidance/documentation (or thats what a lot of "graduate program" offer). I just find it stupid to pay like 600bucks a year for the freaking membership (CPEng) if you have no use for it. Most companies which require you to have CPEng will pay for it, if thats the case maybe you should considering applying for it.

Like any profession, having such accreditation will definately help in a way. Look at accountants, once they get their CPA, their wage goes up by a fair bit. I'm not saying its a guarantee increment but having accreditation will only do you good IF you need them. Same thing with higher qualifications, a fresh master grad will get the same pay as a fresh degree grad, its all experience depend (for most people anyway, not talking about the deans etc).

so is it worth the $400 when i grad mid next year? my lecturer keeps telling me to "HOLD ONTO YOUR MEMBERSHIP" blah blah. to be honest i think IEEE is better for its international recognition.

advice for a poor uni student here.

I'm an IEEE member and I don't know why really. I guess the magazines are nice to read on the loo, and it maybe looks impressive on the CV. That said, it is a useful tool for some EE areas, just not mine.

Get rid of it once you get a job. It'll only make your CV look good and thats about it. Unless your graduate program is structured for you to attain the CPEng, otherwise, I would suggest not having it once you've got a job and you dont need it. The membership fee just keeps going up every yr starting from 1st yr grad 70ish, 2nd yr 100ish 3rd... (from memory)

Never bothered wit CPEng, can't see the point in yet another bit of paper telling you that you can be an engineer, from a bunch of old dudes who don't do any real engineering anymore :)

haha true if anyone should be telling you if you can be an engineer its those of us who make your shite work :P