SAU Community

Engineers Australia

wins_wbe

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

you should hear some of the ideas that our engineers at the power station come up with. we had a pipe hanger brace that need a torque figure needed to do it up. they came up with some stupid figure like 16000 nm, we asked if they were sure and they said yes. as we were doing it up all the brackets started to deform so we went back to them and told them what was happening, they cam back and said ' well just do it up hand tight then' !!!!!!! WTF

• 3 weeks later...
so is it worth the $400 when i grad mid next year? my lecturer keeps telling me to "HOLD ONTO YOUR MEMBERSHIP" blah blah. to be honest i think IEEE is better for its international recognition.

advice for a poor uni student here.

Usually you get your company to pay it back to you as an expense claim. And/or (depends how dodgy you are) you can claim it on tax too.

Boss says you need it to sign off on drawings etc, but I don't think its a requirement yet. I'm about 70% through the career episodes "I did this, I did that, I'm awesome..." bla bla.

Usually you get your company to pay it back to you as an expense claim. And/or (depends how dodgy you are) you can claim it on tax too.

Boss says you need it to sign off on drawings etc, but I don't think its a requirement yet.

I'm pretty sure your boss is wrong, we sign off drawings all the time, and none of us are IEAust members.

I'm about 70% through the career episodes "I did this, I did that, I'm awesome..." bla bla.

That's why I think it's a waste of time, as writing some crap doesn't make you a good engineer, it just makes you persistant enough to complete the paperwork :(