SAU Community

Wastgate Actuator Problems

35NIK

A 3rd option is to install a different wastgate actuator and the good news is the R32GTST item is exactly the same as the R34 except the spring inside is set for 10psi. R32 actuators can be hard to find but I think it’s the best option for this level of modification as boost spikes and boost creep are eliminated.

I have used this peice of info in the DIY section. Bought a full Rb20 turbo and dumppipe for cheap as chips, swaped the actuators out in my R34. It should run 10psi without a boost conrtoller with no spiking & creeping, so I unpluged mine took it for a run & it was laggyish & only pulled around 5-7psi on my boost gauge.

My theory is, the wastegate is open just a little bit, which is letting out boost so im going to try adjusting the length of the pole going from the actuator spring.

Would anyone have any ideas on whats wrong? Or should I change out the actuator again to my stock R34 one & run the boost controller & sell of the turbo I bought & forget this idea ever was going to work?

Thanks.

Nick!

i would try playing around with the actuator first to try and get it working properly first. but if you can't be stuffed then just put the old one back on with the boost controller

Can you open up the stock actuator? It looks like a sealed unit...

I think the actuator is running fine, im just thinking that the R32 gtst actuator does not have a 10psi spring after all.

But it seems to struggle to reach 5-6 psi, So maybe its not working.

it's probably stuffed mate, as you said you got the turbo etc for really cheap so maybe the guy was having boost control problems with it previously.

i would definitely try to get it fixed, avoid boost controllers if you can help it ;)

it's probably stuffed mate, as you said you got the turbo etc for really cheap so maybe the guy was having boost control problems with it previously.

i would definitely try to get it fixed, avoid boost controllers if you can help it ;)

ummm, I dunno I checked out the turbo, no staftplay at all & spins fine.

The guy I bought it off bought the engine for parts for his other R32, so the turbo was not needed.

I can pull open the actuator with my hands, takes some strength but I can do it.

I hated my manual boost controller it spiked, creeped, droped off bost in high rpm, I just wanted this idea to work.

maybe try putting the r32 actuator side by side with the r34 one to see if they are the same size (length). you may just need to bend the mounting bracket a bit to make it sit a bit better and hold the wastegate shut better

get them side by side and pull on them both . 25t one is easy as . 20det one is quite hard . like i struggle to pull it straight out , have to jam thumb against bracket and kinda lever it to move it . it is possible the turbo you bought had a 25t actuator on it .

post a pic of it

I think my wastegate actuator is dodgy ... what's the best way of checking if it's working 100% ?? On some days I can hear the turbo spool up like crazy and car feels so unrestricted/crazy fast but most days I cant hear the turbo spool at all (even though my boost controller and gauge show im making boost) and car feels VERY lethargic

Is it cheaper to simply replace the wastegate actuator with a brand new one from Nissan rather than muck around with it? Mine could be bent slightly I think ... had some issues with it when I first got the car..

I think my wastegate actuator is dodgy ... what's the best way of checking if it's working 100% ?? On some days I can hear the turbo spool up like crazy and car feels so unrestricted/crazy fast but most days I cant hear the turbo spool at all (even though my boost controller and gauge show im making boost) and car feels VERY lethargic

Is it cheaper to simply replace the wastegate actuator with a brand new one from Nissan rather than muck around with it? Mine could be bent slightly I think ... had some issues with it when I first got the car..

hmmm, That could be something to check, Don't buy a new one just go to a import wrecker & pick up a second hand one.

what type of boost controller are you running? Manual Tee peice?

if it feels lethargic, does it show your making boost? if so how much? You may have a bent actuator rod which could have it slightly open & letting pressure escape.

put a push bike pump on the hoses and see what pressure it takes to full open them both . a 32 actuator is a pretty fool proof upgrade . and ive never heard of one losing tention on the spring . we had one that leaked and it made tha car run 17 psi . i know of a few 25ts ive put them on and thay all run between 11 and 12 psi depending on fmic and exhaust upgrades fitted to car

does it feel "crazy fast" on a cold day and "lethargic" on a hot day?

If so that is your answer.