SAU Community

Rb20 Blowing Smoke.

grippy

I gave my stock bottom end RB20det a good workout at the track and during my last session it started blowing loads of blue smoke when I took off. At top end there was nothing. After the session the smoke was real bad when revved from idle. I drove the car home fearing the worst and once home there was no more smoke. It has had the head ported and new valve stem seals fitted just before the track day.

I figure that there was oil leaking into the head through the valve stem seals when under constant high rpm and boost. I also has more and more oil coming from the breather after each session I did.

Has anyone else experienced this on any of the RB engines?

I'd like to know if I need to take the issue more seriously or not.

Rgds,

Grippy.

What is your breather setup like? Does it go back into the engine? It could be the engine breathing then burning the oil that got blown in the intake.

I would check my intercooler pipes for oil and gunk.

I took off my intake pipe into the plenum and it has oil in it. This is very hard to explain as I run a catch can that does not plumb back into the system. I have then pulled the hot pipe (compressor out) off the turbo and it is dry. I thought that my turbo may have blown the oil seal and caused a leak into the compressor but it seems not to be the case.

I cannot explain why there is oil in the top intake pipe??

I also pulled the plugs and all were clean and dry and compression test returned all cylinders normal.

Any suggestions are welcome. Still looking for an answer???

Rgds,

Grippy

check your PCV

My PCV is adjusted all the way out to get the car to idle. It will stall at all other settings due to the GTR injectors and Z32 afm and tune.

Can the PCV give me oil ingestion problems.??

How can I check the PCV apart from removing it??

Rgds.

Sounds like a crap tune!

By the way the PCV doesnt control the idle. Thats the IAC or something like that.

The PCV is in the side of your rocker cover with vacuum connected to it. It will draw any oil near its inlet and ingest it into the motor and create smoke.