SAU Community

Durability Of Your Built 26 Over Or Around 370awkw

Duncan1

Hey guys. As mentioned in an earlier post My car has run a 58.9 on the sprint circuit at QR on my first shake down as I only got to do 8 laps before the stnd balancer broke (I know i should not have taken it to the track with the stnd balancer but could not resist and my ATI was on back order). Have not had time to get my car back together been to busy working on other peoples cars :D . Will have my car sorted for next yaer and will be hopeing to get straight into the 57 sec bracket with the ultimate goal of 55 sec just need to get some time in the seat and learn how to drive . But one of the other cars that I have built Mathew Gallea's R32GTR (26R32) has run a 56.9 and the engine has been in the car for around 3 years now it makes just under 375awkw @ 21psi and is still going strong. I could not tell you exactly how many klm's it has done but it would be plenty. It has done Super lap for the last 2 years with two drivers, Drive bathurst for the last two years and will be back at bathurst next month, Gatton sprints, Pittsworth sprints, Indy rally 2006-2007, A heap of Pauls Time attack days, quite a few sat afternoon sprints at QR and a trip just recently to lakeside ( wont be back due to the noise restrictions :thumbsup: ). The dry sump is definatly the key to keeping the engine together and reliable for so long.

Just my opinion and not having a dig at anyone but I believe that the key to good lap times is not more power but how the power is made and I personally believe that you will always struggle while running a larger single turbo as opposed to a pair of twins. I believe this is proven by that fact that all the quickest GTR's (track cars) not only on Pauls holy grail list but from down south as well all run twin low mounts. If you guys doubt my theory just have a chat with Mark Berry as he origanally tested a single turbo on his R34 3lt RB30 and quickly switched back to a pair of low mounts.

Edited by dazmo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys. As mentioned in an earlier post My car has run a 58.9 on the sprint circuit at QR on my first shake down as I only got to do 8 laps before the stnd balancer broke (I know i should not have taken it to the track with the stnd balancer but could not resist and my ATI was on back order). Have not had time to get my car back together been to busy working on other peoples cars :banana: . Will have my car sorted for next yaer and will be hopeing to get straight into the 57 sec bracket with the ultimate goal of 55 sec just need to get some time in the seat and learn how to drive . But one of the other cars that I have built Mathew Gallea's R32GTR (26R32) has run a 56.9 and the engine has been in the car for around 3 years now it makes just under 375awkw @ 21psi and is still going strong. I could not tell you exactly how many klm's it has done but it would be plenty. It has done Super lap for the last 2 years with two drivers, Drive bathurst for the last two years and will be back at bathurst next month, Gatton sprints, Pittsworth sprints, Indy rally 2006-2007, A heap of Pauls Time attack days, quite a few sat afternoon sprints at QR and a trip just recently to lakeside ( wont be back due to the noise restrictions ;) ). The dry sump is definatly the key to keeping the engine together and reliable for so long.

Just my opinion and not having a dig at anyone but I believe that the key to good lap times is not more power but how the power is made and I personally believe that you will always struggle while running a larger single turbo as opposed to a pair of twins. I believe this is proven by that fact that all the quickest GTR's (track cars) not only on Pauls holy grail list but from down south as well all run twin low mounts. If you guys doubt my theory just have a chat with Mark Berry as he origanally tested a single turbo on his R34 3lt RB30 and quickly switched back to a pair of low mounts.

I agree with you, twins would be alot more appropriate for the circuit. There is no plan/budget to revert back to them though at this stage.

We will just have to make the most out of the single. First time out in the gtr @ the timeattack nissan day we did a 58.2 sprint and 1:01.1 clubman with really low boost 1.1-1.2 bar [about 350awkw] and a poorly setup alignment.

It would always/easily be half a second quicker if it had the responce of twins, no doubt.

Having said that, if its good for 58.2 down on power and with a poor suspension setup, there is definately

a 56 in the car with the right conditions. I will have a crack in November and see if i can get in the 56's. The alignment will be sorted

and if its not too hot it should put out 420awkw.

Well done on Matts car, it must be a very very well built engine to survive that sort of punishment.

Hope to see your car out there next year! What sort of setup/output do you think you will need to get in the 55's?

There are a few cars coming back next year, should be a good season...

Thanks for the complements on Mattys Car if you ever need any work done just shoot me a pm or get my no from Trevor.

You should not have to much drama getting into the 56 sec zone with a bit more power and a decent wheel alingnment. Is your GTR Trevors old car GTRGOD correct ?. If so you have a good base to start with.

As far as the set up in my car to run a 55 sec lap I think the car will do it as is (have upgraded to a better set of brakes now) just need to dial in the suspension and wheel alignment stick on a fresh set of tyres (the ones that i had on the car for its 1st shakedown where pretty well cactus before I even did a lap and one had just started to delaminate when the balancer broke so they would not have lasted the day anyway) and some time behind the wheel. As that lap time was set straight off the trailer with only 8 laps in the car and the brakes where going off after the first 3-4 laps so I was having to brake earlier and earlier each lap. I am extremely confident the car is capable of it the biggest handicap that the car has is the driver so whether I am up to it is another story hence the need for a lot more time behind the wheel.

As you said though next year should be a good one. Next time I am at the track and see you I will come and say hi.

Thanks for the complements on Mattys Car if you ever need any work done just shoot me a pm or get my no from Trevor.

You should not have to much drama getting into the 56 sec zone with a bit more power and a decent wheel alingnment. Is your GTR Trevors old car GTRGOD correct ?. If so you have a good base to start with.

As far as the set up in my car to run a 55 sec lap I think the car will do it as is (have upgraded to a better set of brakes now) just need to dial in the suspension and wheel alignment stick on a fresh set of tyres (the ones that i had on the car for its 1st shakedown where pretty well cactus before I even did a lap and one had just started to delaminate when the balancer broke so they would not have lasted the day anyway) and some time behind the wheel. As that lap time was set straight off the trailer with only 8 laps in the car and the brakes where going off after the first 3-4 laps so I was having to brake earlier and earlier each lap. I am extremely confident the car is capable of it the biggest handicap that the car has is the driver so whether I am up to it is another story hence the need for a lot more time behind the wheel.

As you said though next year should be a good one. Next time I am at the track and see you I will come and say hi.

My pleasure mate..

Its good to get an idea of how long a car like Matts can last, as Vincent and I are going halves in the next build [in 2 years i hope!]

It is Trev's old car, my best mate Vincent bought the car off Trev a couple of months ago.

He has been enjoying driving my Evo and as such i am driving the GTR. It is a credit to trev, all the mods

are really well thought out. It is twice the car that my R34 GTR was.

I have had a pretty good run with my GTR's but some friends have had some horror stories, part of the reason

i bought an Evo for track was i never hear of them blowing up. They lack the sort of excitement that the GTR has though.

Eventually we will go halves in a track only r34 gtr, but that is realistically 2 years away.

I have even looked through carsales in the past few weeks to try and find a nice built 32, but nothing really stands out and how do you really know if its been built correctly or if its half shagged from abuse!?! nothing stacks up so it makes more sense just to go halves in running "gtr god"

The beauty of Trev's car is that we know him, exactly what work has been done, who has done it and how Trev has driven the car.

It really is a rare find.

Cant wait to see your car in action next year, Will be nice to see some more GTR's up there again. Its something i look forward to every month

What sort of power are you putting out?

A pic from the Nismo Timeattack day- Coldish tyres!

post-50086-1256772897_thumb.jpg

Edited by Duncan1

Yea mate i would agree that you guys have got a good base to start with and I know how much trev has spent on the car and like you said it is a rare find to get a GTR that is everything that the previous owner says it is.. My car is putting out around 450 AWKW (600 AWHP). I have a build thread in the projects section if you want to check out the specs but it is probably a bit overdew for an update will look forward to saying hi face to face when i next get to the track.

Yea mate i would agree that you guys have got a good base to start with and I know how much trev has spent on the car and like you said it is a rare find to get a GTR that is everything that the previous owner says it is.. My car is putting out around 450 AWKW (600 AWHP). I have a build thread in the projects section if you want to check out the specs but it is probably a bit overdew for an update will look forward to saying hi face to face when i next get to the track.

What a nice round figure... 600hp! thats brilliant. Sounds like quite a machine.

Cant wait to see it. I will check out your build now. Yeah definately have to catch up next time

you get up to QR. Not sure when Paul is having his first day up there but whenever it is, we will be there. Hope you get time to finish the GTR off so its ready.

What a nice round figure... 600hp! thats brilliant. Sounds like quite a machine.

Cant wait to see it. I will check out your build now. Yeah definately have to catch up next time

you get up to QR. Not sure when Paul is having his first day up there but whenever it is, we will be there. Hope you get time to finish the GTR off so its ready.

Just had a look... Very nice mate,

Its funny i had it in my head that it was the black 32 in the Avatar.

I think i have seen your 33 before. Cant wait to see it back out there!

• 2 months later...

Been a little while since i updated,

We did Timeattack on the 24th of Nov, the last of the year.

The Gtr decided to have a tantrum and kept throwing power steering belts. It has done it on the street before

but last time on low boost on the track it was fine. The car was on high boost this time and the extra response

was brilliant. I only did one almost hot lap on clubman and was only 1/10th slower than my previous PB on low boost,

so its fair to say that it will be alot quicker next year on high boost.

The first time it threw the belt we thought that it was over and out for the day, however someone happened to have a few belts on hand so

we could get back out there. Special thanks to Mark Berry who was kind enough to fit it up for us! He didnt like the idea of a GTR just sitting in the pits and wanted to help us get it back out there!

The replacement belt came off again between turn 1 and 2 at high rpm in 4th over the bumps. I managed to just turn it in to turn 2 and then called it a day and drove the Evo for the last 4 sessions.

Mark said that it was a common occurence with a Ross balancer, and his advice was to try an ATI balancer, which is getting

fitted next week in time for the first timeattack of the year on feb 11.

Will be nice to get back out there! Hopefully the GTR will have a better day with better times!

P.S- Daz, is your car back together yet?

:)

That is a terrific life out of the 33. Well put the money aside for a second, getting very professional people to build, tune, and use the very best of parts in my eyes should make things perform better and more reliably. Am i wrong!?!? It seems though that it all comes at a hefty initial price, not magic!

yeah the sprints are only 7 laps, 1 warm up, 5 hot, 1 cool down, so i was hoping that might be its saving grace!

I hear you loud and clear about lower output and longevity but i may as well drive the Evo if that is the case. Gtr is a pretty ordinary tool at 200 awkw.

I think that their are people out there that have built 26's that see alot of track, put out similar outputs whilst still lasting 3 or so years, i just want to know who they are, who built their car and who tuned them.

Nice user name by the way!! :(

Just been reading your thread. For what it's worth, you may like to check out RIPS (Rotorua Import Pro Scene) in New Zealand.

http://www.ripsltd.com/

These guys build the sort of GTR's and engines you're looking for and they have a global customer base as a testimont of their abilities. Heaps of info on their site including customer references. Their engines are used heavily in the NZ drag and drift scene and seem to be bullet proof despite years of abuse. Robbie the owner is a good honest guy, a straight shooter and he really knows his stuff when it comes to GTR's and RB engines. If you're still in the market, it'd be worth dropping him a line.

maybe I'm wrong but Racepace builds fairly stock engines for circuit racers, starting at 370 and going up, and they don't go bang.

They aren't full of forged goodness, either. Stock harmonic balancer as well.

It has been said before but is worth repeating. The difference between a hand grenade and a reliable engine is mostly the tune,

not the absolute power output.

Look after the tune and the rev limit, and you're just left with.. what.. oil (pump, sump, maintenance).

:rant:

Just been reading your thread. For what it's worth, you may like to check out RIPS (Rotorua Import Pro Scene) in New Zealand.

http://www.ripsltd.com/

These guys build the sort of GTR's and engines you're looking for and they have a global customer base as a testimont of their abilities. Heaps of info on their site including customer references. Their engines are used heavily in the NZ drag and drift scene and seem to be bullet proof despite years of abuse. Robbie the owner is a good honest guy, a straight shooter and he really knows his stuff when it comes to GTR's and RB engines. If you're still in the market, it'd be worth dropping him a line.

Sounds like an advertisement...

Duncan1: With the T04Z and it's power delivery, are you able to tromp the pedal and power out of the corner or is the torque "not there" until you straighten up. Does that make sense?

Sounds like an advertisement...

Duncan1: With the T04Z and it's power delivery, are you able to tromp the pedal and power out of the corner or is the torque "not there" until you straighten up. Does that make sense?

I think i know what you mean!

All depends on the corner and the gear, but there is some timing required to make sure its coming on hard when

you need it to be, on other occassions you need to short shift or feather the throttle to avoid massive powerslides on exits!

It does take a little more planning than twins thats for sure, but its a good adrenalin rush

I would say that on a tight track its hard work, but on a more open track the T04z would be quite good.

I think i know what you mean!

All depends on the corner and the gear, but there is some timing required to make sure its coming on hard when

you need it to be, on other occassions you need to short shift or feather the throttle to avoid massive powerslides on exits!

It does take a little more planning than twins thats for sure, but its a good adrenalin rush

I would say that on a tight track its hard work, but on a more open track the T04z would be quite good.

Cheers for that mate. Hope you get the car sorted and get a chance to open her up next time around.

Mike