SAU Community

New Cobb Tune With Boost Control - Getting It Today

Munro

Dropped my GTR off at Willalls today for new Custom COBB tune. Cant wait for results.

Have bought a pair of new forged wastegates but Martin tells me I may not need them.

Munro, attached is your dyno graph -

Holds good boost to the top of the rev range using the new RPM based WGDC control system, and from the logging we were seeing you are starting to get marginal on injector flow hence 1.0 bar at 6500rpm is about the limit of boost you would want for good durability and this fuel system setup :)

In metric speak your GTR went from 281.7awkw (stock tune Willall midpipe) to 333.3awkw with the new custom tuning. Thats 18% gain (51awkw), which is highly noticeable, and useable without any spikes in the midrange, and no sharp boost taper in the top end ;)

munroboost.jpg

This kind of figure - 333awkw - on a Mainline dyno is extremely impressive from such a simple setup - Midpipe and Tune :D

That is a fantastic result. Cant wait to pick it up & try it out.

That is a huge gain from just a tune. What amazing cars they are.

My XR6 Turbo ute has had untold thousands spent on it with built engine etc

& is making 330 rwkw so to be able to make the same power with slightly

smaller engine with just tuning is bloody awesome.

Looks like we wont need to worry about the bigger actuators till I upgrade

the turbochargers! Will enjoy having fun with it like this for a while I think.

Well done guys. Will post up my thoughts after driving the car.

Ok. Lets meet at the bottom of the South Eastern Freeway.

Stock Turbs Vs Bigger Turbs (+ Carbon). Say.... early Sun morning?

C U there around 7am. Should make Murray bridge by 7.25

HaHa I bloody wish........... how about a sedate cruise out to the

trackday on Monday instead?

Will be interesting to hear your thoughts on the results Munro. My current tune (distinct from yours) comes on with a massive rush. So whilst it's "bad" when driving in anger at the track (it induces wheelspin if you run VDC on) it's actually quite exciting for the street, provided you dont go too nuts. A bit rollercoaster like. A more progressive application of power may not be as "exciting" though. I am sure an argument will be mnade that it's better/safer for your engine (to have a more progressive application of power) but i am left wondering how entertaining it will be in comparison.

Will be interesting to hear your thoughts on the results Munro. My current tune (distinct from yours) comes on with a massive rush. So whilst it's "bad" when driving in anger at the track (it induces wheelspin if you run VDC on) it's actually quite exciting for the street, provided you dont go too nuts. A bit rollercoaster like. A more progressive application of power may not be as "exciting" though. I am sure an argument will be mnade that it's better/safer for your engine (to have a more progressive application of power) but i am left wondering how entertaining it will be in comparison.

Well Duncan, the word "Entertaining" and the name "Munro" mean the same thing over here in SA . . . even with no tune and no midpipe . . . Munro made that 35 of his both Quick & Entertaining with his driving "Prowess" . . . for the want of a better word.

Now, back on subject. . . bloody tidy work there M . . . I am getting itchy feet . . .

Well Duncan, the word "Entertaining" and the name "Munro" mean the same thing over here in SA . . .

LOL! I am sure it's great/entertaining regardless. I'll need one of these more linear tunes too in the near future, looking forward to it.

Linear is the right word, although it seems to have a bigger push in the back & still keep pulling to the top.

Only had a short run in traffic yesterday, but have day off today & will get up in the hills & do some "testing".

Hey Dan, long time! Yes it is like a different car. A friend who has driven a couple of std ADMs & wasn't that impressed drove mine today & was blown away. It just feels a lot stronger everywhere. The GTR had the std Cobb stg 2 tune before but Willalls new custom tune is much stronger & the power does not "drop away" like before.

On the gear changes it gives a big shove in the back so I dont see how it is softer on the trans!

Keir has been giving his white R35 a real hard time for thousands of kays & hundreds of laps at Mallala without any

trans problems so I am quite confident to drive the pants of mine & really enjoy this car.

R35 + midpipe + custom Cobb tune = Awesome Machine.

Come on all you std ADMs & JDMs out there......... do it do it do it.

You won't have to water your money tree much for these mods - for the dollars vs gain it is a total bargain.

Any Adelaide owners that are not sure are welcome to drive mine & compare.

What would be a more significant comparison than the graph of stock V Willall custom tune with new software would be a comparison of Cobb Stage 2 v New Custom Tune.

Also - there's been no mention of any change in the "boost spike" at gear change with the new system.

The beauty of this Duty Cycle vs RPM wastegate mapping is the removal of the 'spike' that plauges the original Nissan air flow load mapping. Instead of seeing 0.4 bar overboost on wide open throttle upshifts (old way) you will see 0.1bar overboost (new way). In other words you can run higher boost higher in the rev range, without overdoing it in the middle :P

I am loving this new tune. Ran my best ever time at Mallala on Mon 5th at Time Attack - 1.15.8

Very responsive & pulls cleanly to redline. I am very happy with it.