SAU Community

Z32 Ecu Manual Or Auto?

SXY_33

Hey guys, ive done my research and ive decided tht nistune is the best way to go for my r33 and the power figues i hav, this way i can still keep all the safety features. so im going with a z32 ecu.

i know it has to b out of a 300zx between 89-95 model, and i know the wires i hav to change. seems easier then it was hooking up my safc2.

the onli question i have is, my car is manual, does that mean the z32 ecu i get has to b a manual, i think i was told it doesnt matter, but can anyone clear this up for my as ive found a cheap auto one :( and i plan to wire it up myself to save some cash. my understanding is if i run the z32 afm with it, ti will run rich, but i will b able to drive it to my tuner

thanks

Adam

Is the tuner going to install the Nistune daughterboard, or will you be driving there with it already installed? In my opinion it's dangerous to drive it to the tuner, unless you've set in the Nistune software to factor into the Z32 AFM. I'm pretty sure it's the other way around, the Z32 AFM without the AFM correction, the engine will run super lean.

Don't hold me to it, but I'm fairly sure auto/manual doesn't matter as you'll be loading the R33 GTS-T basemap into it anyway.

hmm ill have to double check with him, he will be installing the nistune board, but he said its ok aslong as i have both z32 ecu and afm fitted, if i have the stock afm it will lean out.

thanks

Are you sure your tuner is recommending driving to his shop with a Z32 ecu that has a stock basemap to run a V6 of 2l/3l (VG20 or VG30, I don't know 300zx's at all) with a inline 6 2.5l (rb25det)?

take the ecu to the tuner and get him to put the nistune board in it with the basemap required to run an rb25 on a z32 ecu. then take the ecu home and install it.

then you can drive it to him to be tuned.

cheers

as long as you have the z32 afm installed, i'd say it should be fine to drive it to the tuners even with the stock z32 map on it. the reason being that if you are cruising along the o2 sensor is going to be controlling the AFRs to a large extent. the injectors on the z32 are the same size, and for a given amount of air going into the engine the ecu should be putting in the same amount of fuel. it would just be that the rb25 isn't going to use as much of the higher load area of the map due to the lower capacity of the engine.

also i have heard of people on other forums who have been running an untuned z32 ecu in a skyline for a few months with no issues.