SAU Community

Cf Trunk With Spoiler Molded In & Vented Bonnet

I found someone to manufacture CF parts for me and want to see if there is any interest out there.

I have the sedan, and my idea is to mold a lip spoiler into it much like the one in the pic below. And for the bonnet, I want some vents put in, similar to a Top Secret bonnet.

post-59969-1254913983_thumb.jpg

In a few days their production supervisor will get back to me with a quote, which I will in turn post up here.

I don't work for them and I am making no profit from this, HOWEVER, I seek to keep my cost down by splitting up the cost of the mold, so obviously the more people on board, the less it will cost.

At this point I need you guys to let me know who is definitely interested, and whether you need it for the sedan or coupe, and what series is the vehicle.

I think I covered all the important things, fire off some questions if you have any, cheers.

I would def be keen for a molded lip spoiler, but unfortunately im in Perth.

It doesn't matter to me where anyone is located, if you are prepared to pay for delivery from Brisbane then its no problem.

What kind of ballpark figure are we talking about for the bootlid?

Over the phone, the rough figure was around $1k mark for the bonnet, and a little bit less for the bootlid.

I have sent them a few pics with the measurements so they can give me the final correct quote.

The quality of the parts will be second to none, as they make parts for formula 1, race/rally cars, medical devices etc. In fact, one of their clients is TRD.

The process utilises pre-preg CF, which is then vacuum sealed and cured in an autoclave. This produces parts of the highest quality and strength, as opposed to the wet layup method.

The inner structural ribs will also be made, with foam injected into the spaces, and the relevant mounting points made for the arms and locking mechanism.

An additional clear coat will be placed on to protect the piece from yellowing over time, therefore it can be polished and waxed as normal.

The mold is a separate expense, depending on size, complexity, and quality of the mold material, but it will be from $1k to $2k.

For the bootlid, I will have the lip spoiler molded into my boot before they make the master mold for the CF piece, same with the bonnet.

Don't want to rain on your parade but for the coupe you can get carbon bonnets for $1075.95 already (vented & OEM) in Aus.

What we can't get in Aus is fenders (10mm wider with vent) I'm keen for them.

post-60315-1254979150_thumb.jpg

Don't want to rain on your parade but for the coupe you can get carbon bonnets for $1075.95 already (vented & OEM) in Aus.

What we can't get in Aus is fenders (10mm wider with vent) I'm keen for them.

Sounds good, but who sells them and what is the process they use to make them?

Also, my main focus is sedan owners, I'm aware that coupe owners have more choices when it comes to aftermarket parts, thats my issue.

I bet they don't sell trunk lids with spoilers molded in either;)

Edited by GoldV35

good luck to you :rant:

an integrated boot/spoiler is an interesting idea

especially if it's a one piece item i'd love to see how it would turn out,

on my car it has small chrome strip for a spoiler and I've been looking into getting a carbon overlay custom made for it, I've seen some of the infiniti guys give it a crack but the results have been less than 'quality' so far, fitment off etc

they do have a full boot spoiler addition to cover the strip as a factory opt. but I think it looks fugly on the car

'I've seen some of the infiniti guys give it a crack but the results have been less than 'quality' so far, fitment off etc'

Exactly, someone at home in their garage or in a mechanic workshop that has a go will use the wet layup method.

This involves putting down a layer of dry carbon weave, then pouring on resin and trying to smooth it out and make an even amount everywhere. Of course, due to inaccuracies, there can be bubbling, uneven thickness, and decreased strength due to having too much resin in it.

However, the place I found uses pre-preg CF which means the resin is already in it at the correct amount, then its molded. Then they put it in a vacuum seal bag and place it in an autoclave (basically oven) for curing. When its in there, the heat causes the resin to liquefy again and conform perfectly to the mold, meaning no fitment issues when putting the part on the car. This process also ensures the part is as light and thin as possible, and up to 30% stronger than using the wet layup method.

So you can see not all CF parts are made to the same quality, but as always, you get what you pay for.

Sounds good, but who sells them and what is the process they use to make them?

Also, my main focus is sedan owners, I'm aware that coupe owners have more choices when it comes to aftermarket parts, thats my issue.

I bet they don't sell trunk lids with spoilers molded in either;)

http://www.seiboncarbon.com/pdut.asp

They are the best. They have one Aus rep http://www.tonyrigoliperformance.com.au/ Fenders deliver $1400+ not cheap

Yes they seem very good, but they don't have the parts I want for a sedan.

They also use the wet carbon method, which I've already indicated in previous posts is inferior to dry carbon method that will be used.

The way I see it, there is two ways of getting the parts we want, using the fenders as an example:

1 - Purchase from Seibon Carbon: $1400 total inc. delivery.

or

2 - Get the company here to make them using the superior dry carbon method, and when its done you get to keep the mold: $1400 total or cheaper if you get more people on board.

So from a technical standpoint, Seibon Carbon are not the best :rant:

Putting it that way.

Well i'm keen for fenders (10mm wider with vent) if we can get it down to $1000 a pair i'm in.

So the more the better

Put your hands up :P

im up for a pair of CF fenders with Vents for the coupe even rears with wider guards... theres one down syd with 305's in the rear !! must be 11" wide rims ..

Interested, however can you give us a little more insight regarding the "company" that you've spoken to? Just wondering since they "manufacture" carbon fibre parts for F1 and race/rally cars and that itself seems a bit farfetched for the relatively cheap ballpark figure for that standard of work. Would be helpful to generate more interest I'd suspect :D

Interested, however can you give us a little more insight regarding the "company" that you've spoken to? Just wondering since they "manufacture" carbon fibre parts for F1 and race/rally cars and that itself seems a bit farfetched for the relatively cheap ballpark figure for that standard of work. Would be helpful to generate more interest I'd suspect :laugh:

And who the hell is this wanker? How would you know if its cheap, are you in the industry? If not, then you don't have a clue.

Since you chose to publicly denounce me with what is essentially tantamount to calling me a liar, I'll respond by giving you the name and web address of the "company" in question:

LSM Advanced Composites (www.lsm.net.au)

Give them a ring, confirm all the information I have given in previous posts is correct, then shut your mouth.

Sorry I didn't mean to denounce you at all, think you've misunderstood me. I didn't call it "cheap" or anything, it's just that I expected it to be a little more expensive considering the method they employ. It's great that you've put all the effort into organising this, I by no means am taking this away from your effort or questioning your knowledge itself.

Sorry if you've taken it the wrong way

You put "company" and "manufacture" in quotes and called it 'farfetched', seemingly questioning the legitimacy of my proposal, that is why I was offended.

Anyway, apology accepted.

I think the explanation as to why they can offer parts of this calibre at a lower price is due to that being their main business.

All the hardware required such as autoclaves, refrigeration units for the pre-preg CF etc. were purchased a long time ago and I would say they have got their money back on those, therefore the cost need not be passed on to clients.

In addition, they would already have established long standing relationships with suppliers that would of course be able to give them discounts on the bulk purchase of pre-preg CF etc.

Threads like this make me laugh...

good luck with your carbon fibre parts from said company...

my question: How much do you know about carbon fibre? or producing carbon fibre parts? not including the crap other people tell you..

Threads like this make me laugh...

good luck with your carbon fibre parts from said company...

my question: How much do you know about carbon fibre? or producing carbon fibre parts? not including the crap other people tell you..

So you just breeze in as if you're some kind of expert, without adding anything to the discussion, get to the point.