SAU Community

Cf Trunk With Spoiler Molded In & Vented Bonnet

nismo...let's share the popcorn...

Anyway, I am keen for the CF Bonnet and Boot Lid (but without the spoiler)...I assume that the bootlid is for series 2? I need to figure out a way to update my series 1 boot lid to the much cleaner series 2 one, hence the interest...

On another note, I'll be putting on my low profile WRX spoiler soon (the reason why I dun want an integrated CF bootlid spoiler)...

'I've seen some of the infiniti guys give it a crack but the results have been less than 'quality' so far, fitment off etc'

Exactly, someone at home in their garage or in a mechanic workshop that has a go will use the wet layup method.

This involves putting down a layer of dry carbon weave, then pouring on resin and trying to smooth it out and make an even amount everywhere. Of course, due to inaccuracies, there can be bubbling, uneven thickness, and decreased strength due to having too much resin in it.

However, the place I found uses pre-preg CF which means the resin is already in it at the correct amount, then its molded. Then they put it in a vacuum seal bag and place it in an autoclave (basically oven) for curing. When its in there, the heat causes the resin to liquefy again and conform perfectly to the mold, meaning no fitment issues when putting the part on the car. This process also ensures the part is as light and thin as possible, and up to 30% stronger than using the wet layup method.

So you can see not all CF parts are made to the same quality, but as always, you get what you pay for.

true

but the example I was thinking of was from a vendor there not a backyard job, either the fitment was not exact ie;blocking the rear camera or the edges didn't quite line up

either way it's not a popular option there anyway as most of them put on the boot spoiler addition but I'm not a fan of that

again, best of luck with your endeavour :)

true

but the example I was thinking of was from a vendor there not a backyard job, either the fitment was not exact ie;blocking the rear camera or the edges didn't quite line up

either way it's not a popular option there anyway as most of them put on the boot spoiler addition but I'm not a fan of that

again, best of luck with your endeavour :)

Yes, you really have to shop around when it comes to vendors, they are not all created equal in the skill department.

So you just breeze in as if you're some kind of expert, without adding anything to the discussion, get to the point.

Firstly i'm not here to flame..

you make alot comments in regards with dry layup as compared to wet layups.do you have any test results to back up your comments?

And you speak up said companydo you work for them?

Firstly i'm not here to flame..

you make alot comments in regards with dry layup as compared to wet layups.do you have any test results to back up your comments?

And you speak up said companydo you work for them?

I don't need any test results, men with greater intellects than yourself have established the fact that dry layup is stronger and lighter than wet layup. Whats your next contention, that water isn't wet?

My suggestion is, go to their website and have a good look at their qualifications, what they make, the facilities and who they supply to.

Take it all in, then quietly fade away.

I don't need any test results, men with greater intellects than yourself have established the fact that dry layup is stronger and lighter than wet layup. Whats your next contention, that water isn't wet?

My suggestion is, go to their website and have a good look at their qualifications, what they make, the facilities and who they supply to.

Take it all in, then quietly fade away.

LOL thanks for making me smile... i dont need to take in anything, other than you haven't got a clue.

nor will i fade away quietly, goodluck with your v35.

LOL thanks for making me smile... i dont need to take in anything, other than you haven't got a clue.

nor will i fade away quietly, goodluck with your v35.

Well who ARE you? Don't act like a shy little wallflower, tell us all what makes you the subject matter expert.

All you did was post a few meaningless comments with no outcome, seems to me you are fading away quietly now.

I would be interested in the Boot Lid. I too want to update the Series I cat flap look!

Hi mate, heres the issue. I have a series 2 sedan and I think the series 1 boot lid is not interchangeable.

But, if you manage to get enough people together with a series 1 sedan that want it, then it would bring it down to a reasonable cost per person.

Well who ARE you? Don't act like a shy little wallflower, tell us all what makes you the subject matter expert.

All you did was post a few meaningless comments with no outcome, seems to me you are fading away quietly now.

I'm Noy.

I have an extensive background in all composites. inc a diploma of polymer engineering(composites).

may not mean alot to some but thats what it is.

Yes i worked at Custom Carbon and yes i had a heavily C/F'd R33 GTR, All parts were produced in house using aerospace grade materials.

Currently i am production manager of an Aerospace company, we produce all carbon fibre/ aramid panels for military helicopters

ARH TIGER, MRH90 and SUPER PUMA. if you aren't familiar with them google and have a look.

The only reason i commented in the first place is because aswell as my normal job i also run a small business where i produce carbon parts for Drag,Curcuit and Drift cars. All parts i produce at home are wet layup and i have taken panels to work to test and with very surprising results.

I can produce parts wet layup that have tested stronger than that of dry layup using same material and orientation.

I didn't mean to try steal your thread nor to flame you. just provide people with some useful information.

If anyone would like further clarification on this discussion or has any questions please PM me..

cheers Noy

on another note, i never really liked the V35 but goldv35 yours looks pretty mint.

I'm Noy.

I have an extensive background in all composites. inc a diploma of polymer engineering(composites).

may not mean alot to some but thats what it is.

Yes i worked at Custom Carbon and yes i had a heavily C/F'd R33 GTR, All parts were produced in house using aerospace grade materials.

Currently i am production manager of an Aerospace company, we produce all carbon fibre/ aramid panels for military helicopters

ARH TIGER, MRH90 and SUPER PUMA. if you aren't familiar with them google and have a look.

The only reason i commented in the first place is because aswell as my normal job i also run a small business where i produce carbon parts for Drag,Curcuit and Drift cars. All parts i produce at home are wet layup and i have taken panels to work to test and with very surprising results.

I can produce parts wet layup that have tested stronger than that of dry layup using same material and orientation.

I didn't mean to try steal your thread nor to flame you. just provide people with some useful information.

If anyone would like further clarification on this discussion or has any questions please PM me..

cheers Noy

on another note, i never really liked the V35 but goldv35 yours looks pretty mint.

Ok, just so I'm totally clear on this, you work at an aerospace company that produces parts for military helicopters. In addition, you have your own small business producing CF parts at home.

That being said, the question I have is, what method does the aerospace company utilise?

Pretty sure he used to work in Custom Carbon and had a heavily CF'd R33 GTR.

C'mon Noy, enlighten us please... :D

he did indeed. I think jason works somewhere else now doing a similar thing. both those guys used to build stuff for the V8 supercar crowds many years back.

Ok, just so I'm totally clear on this, you work at an aerospace company that produces parts for military helicopters. In addition, you have your own small business producing CF parts at home.

That being said, the question I have is, what method does the aerospace company utilise?

Yes,

All parts we produce are made from prepregs, Carbon's,Arimids and some smaller glass parts. all parts are made on Invar tooling with silicone bags witch are then cured in autoclaves.The panels range from small angles 5cm x5cm up to skins that are 5m x 2m.

Jason is working in some dodgy fibreglass shop, because he burnt his bridges ripping everyone off, including myself and people on this forum..

Yes,

All parts we produce are made from prepregs, Carbon's,Arimids and some smaller glass parts. all parts are made on Invar tooling with silicone bags witch are then cured in autoclaves.The panels range from small angles 5cm x5cm up to skins that are 5m x 2m.

And now we come full circle, this proves the point I was making from the start.

So why would you come into this topic with attitude and cast doubt on what I was saying?

I'm sure you are very good at wet layup, and if you try really hard, could probably make a part of similar quality to dry layup as you claim.

But the point is, and has always been, pre-preg dry layup gives the best results, thats why the military demands it, and thats why I want it.

Edited by GoldV35

you are messing with the wrong person here...

Why do you say that Chris, its not my intention to 'mess' with anyone, merely defend my position.

His last post confirmed what I said from the start of this disagreement, case closed.

Back to the whole reason for this topic, at this point there has been some interest however not enough for any particular part.

So unless I get at least 5 people onboard for one type of part, I'm not going to pursue it.

If anyone else wants to though, give Nathaniel a call at: www.lsm.net.au