SAU Community

Skyline Accident

Hi guys,

I was recently involved in an accident at a roundabout - car got hit in the front quarter (driver's side) pretty hard - and to cut a long story short, have been quoted $6-7K to get the car running on the road again.

The front right wheel took most of the impact, and the resulting force bent some of the suspension structures so the wheel was kinda cambered inwards ~20deg, but I'm not sure what exactly needs to be replaced.

Unfortunately, I'm not willing to fork out that much $$ to get the car running, but I'm also not very sure what my options are at this point. Was hoping someone might be able to give me some pointers on how to handle the situation? The car is currently at a panel beater in Bayswater (towed there over the weekend), and I am based in Clayton. I could get a second opinion but it's quite a pain towing the car from shop to shop. I know some people strip their cars and sell them piecemeal, but I don't have storage space for that. Any ideas?? Thanks..

looks like all the options, you're not willing to do?

how bout the wreckers?

UPDATE

I got the guy to send me an invoice for the repairs, turns out its 6K and possibly $500 off if I pay cash. Does this invoice look right??

GimpS, been offered $750 for the car by the wreckers.

post-37198-1254983864_thumb.jpg

post-37198-1254983880_thumb.jpg

^^ Front right corner damage in a round about, I'd assume he didnt give way ??

Post a pic, and we can give you an estimate of buying parts from wreckers, then the only expensive part would be paint.

It was a busy roundabout and I didn't see her coming, so I got hit as I entered the roundabout from the RHS! :|

I only managed to get one pic before the car got towed away, here it is for what it's worth.

Note: Front has had some modifications to accomodate top secret front bar that *used* to be there.

Thanks for the advice SAU! It's been really helpful. I've been looking for parts, anyone got a R quarter panel (front) and drivers side headlight to spare? :)

post-37198-1255042949_thumb.jpg

If you can't get the guy to lower the quote to below $4000, I'd be looking at somewhere else.

You can buy a S2 R33 for about $10,000 in good condition at the moment. Spending $5000 to fix your car and possibly having problems in the future if its not done correctly wouldn't be good.

It was a busy roundabout and I didn't see her coming, so I got hit as I entered the roundabout from the RHS! :|

I only managed to get one pic before the car got towed away, here it is for what it's worth.

Note: Front has had some modifications to accomodate top secret front bar that *used* to be there.

Thanks for the advice SAU! It's been really helpful. I've been looking for parts, anyone got a R quarter panel (front) and drivers side headlight to spare? :(

I feel for you man. White R33 Series II's are nice looking cars.

better idea, look out for a rolling shell and transfer it all yourself from your good car into your rolling shell. you've got everything there minus the shit that disintegrated, so what's stopping you?

I'm assuming you are uninsured.

Best option considering cost to repair would be chop chop and get a new one with insurance.

Also if you are putting those wheels on the new car I would get the rims checked to make sure none are bent etc.

PS - holy crap the labour is almost half the bill...

If you have the time and space for the project, swapping into a rolling shell would be pretty cool.

Clean it, paint the inside and the engine bay, sand back the exterior and get that painted by a pro (cheap since all the labor is gone), then start swapping in the good shit and do any mods you want while you're at it (easier than doing it later in most cases).

UPDATE

I got the guy to send me an invoice for the repairs, turns out its 6K and possibly $500 off if I pay cash. Does this invoice look right??

GimpS, been offered $750 for the car by the wreckers.

that's a shit price.

if the engine is fine and in good condition, should be around $2k alone. gearbox $500-$1k. rolling shell (if chassis is straight) maybe $1k-$2k.

wreckers always give shit prices. you car isn't a total loss just yet.

(prices do depend on the condition and how many kms the car has done)

Edited by Peter89