SAU Community

The Sa Wasteland

heslo

ugh. what a morning. bottomed out hard. smashed my intercooler mounts. bent my castor brackets. probably f**ked my exhaust. rails look alright.

probably take it down to a chassis joint on tuesday to make sure everything else is fine, then start replacing the bent bits.

WTF?!?!? What happened Dave!?!?

• Replies 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmmm so dale has kindly done some research on this turbs i have

sittin here...

Seems its a TD06-17c.

which will apparently be capable of 17ish psi by 3700ish rpm,.....

kinda got my juices flowing!!

not sure what to do now, VG30 or TD06?

100 bucks difference in the 2, i know the VG is in good nic as it will be comin from jeff @ speedlab....

never seen this turbs on a 20 before so makes my decision a little harder

TDO6-17C = yes. i had one that i was going to use but i decided to go silly

HKS 25/30 is equal if not the better jap turbo :) (contradicting myself cos clearly its a garrett after all)

VG = laggy as f**k

RB25 turbo = laggy, but not as laggy as a VG

if you're goin to buy new, i can only give a bit of advice that dale gave me, and either go with a GT2871 or my choice the 3071 :)

If the TD06 can pull up 17psi by 3700rpm on a 20 I would go that personally. I was trying to minimise lag on an already laggy motor so I chose the HKS 2530 - it's the undisputed turbo of turbos for an RB20 haha.

Good luck with it, interested to see how it goes.

Edit: Never driven one, but I've heard the VG30 turbo is rather laggy on the 20.

damnit, should have read my second quoted post BEFORE writing all that haha

ugh. what a morning. bottomed out hard. smashed my intercooler mounts. bent my castor brackets. probably f**ked my exhaust. rails look alright.

probably take it down to a chassis joint on tuesday to make sure everything else is fine, then start replacing the bent bits.

WTF?!?!? What happened Dave!?!?
ugh. dont ask dude.

So want to ask hey :)

Anyway I'm slowly becoming more and more sober so yeah I'll just say that driving home from mannum and texting your girlfriend whislt tyring to decide which of the 2 centre lines your going to try and follow is not the greatest of ideas but I made it home and have just smashed through a maccas bacon and egg roll and am now going to bed :)

The HKS 2530 is almost the same turbo as the Garrett GT2860RS (Disco-Potato) with the only difference being a slightly bigger inducer on the compressor (0.5mm) on the HKS version. And considdering the you can pick up the dancing spud for around the $1300 mark it (i'd hate to know what the retail is on the HSK item?) would be the way i'd be going if tossing up between the two. I don't know if you can find a T3 flange for the 2860 though.

The TD is a lot bigger turbo than the 2530 though, it's even bigger than a 2871R and ever so smaller than the 3071R.

Does anyone have the wheel specs for the standard R33 turbo?

And just to make the decission making process harder, here's another turbo that is spec'd inbetween the GT2860RS and the GT2871R, A HKS GT2535; Bit more Exxy though;

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.p...howtopic=415365

Edited by D_Stirls

I was going to buy a HKS 2530 brand new, while the retail isnt cheap they perform better than a "Garret rebuilt" 2530. The fin design is different so the genuine HKS ones spool faster. One of my friends got me an AWESOME price on a brand newy - about $400 more than a brand new 2871 - note the kit from a reputable dealer is $2999. But then I found a genuine 2530 with only 2000kms on it since brand new, fitted/tuned by trusted workshops/tuners here in Adelaide for less than a brand new 2871.

they perform better than a "Garret rebuilt" 2530. The fin design is different so the genuine HKS ones spool faster

Garrett make the HKS CHRA's, the difference is that HKS clip some of the Garrett wheels and HKS make their own housings.

Ask discopotato03 one here for the details as he knows his HKS/Garrett stuff backwards.

Edited by D_Stirls

your not going to like what i'm going to say but; you can actually do it yourself. They are a very basic turbo in terms of their bearing/core design.

The main thing is to make sure that you index all the compressor side parts that you take off so you can make sure that you put them back together exactally the same so you don;t then have to re-balance the assembly.

hmmm, ill give it a shot. if the kit gets here by friday, ill have 2 weekends to do it before

the rb20 goes in...

actually looking forowrd to gettin my hands dirty and doin some shit myself on this build, makes it more pleasing.

starting on ripping the 30 out today, perfect weather for it! :)

Garrett make the HKS CHRA's, the difference is that HKS clip some of the Garrett wheels and HKS make their own housings.

Ask discopotato03 one here for the details as he knows his HKS/Garrett stuff backwards.

Ok Cheers, will give him a yell.

Does anyone have the wheel specs for the standard R33 turbo?

I dont know 100%, but I think:

RB20 Turbo = .46

RB25 Turbo = .58

RB25NEO/VG30 Turbo = .63

i flew thru a big dip the other week... its on a corner and there was no street light.

lets just say that im glad i have a plastic front bar, and my cooler sits back at a 20 degree angle... coulda been ugly