SAU Community

The Sa Wasteland

heslo

Thats something that would shit me too

Theyre >sitting< in their offices and doing non manual labour - they got their aircons tho, probably reverse cycle, chewing up 3kw of power per hour

Factory workers, busting their arses in hot weather and they get given a spray bottle? Nigga please

Time for a riot (or to get the union to do their damn job for a change)

-D

+1

our bosses sit in an a/c office all shift and come out for maybe 5 minutes a night to give everyone the eagle eye and go back to there 20 degree room :P we move tons of freight hourly by hand rain hail or shine. i get paid decent to do it so i dont care heaps but to make us work in 40+ heat for the same wage and same hours is bit of a joke

• Replies 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats something that would shit me too

Theyre >sitting< in their offices and doing non manual labour - they got their aircons tho, probably reverse cycle, chewing up 3kw of power per hour

Factory workers, busting their arses in hot weather and they get given a spray bottle? Nigga please

Time for a riot (or to get the union to do their damn job for a change)

-D

shit there after us white collar nerds....panick

how do i change a .odt file into a .doc file?

is it just changing say xfile.odt and ending it in .doc? so it becomes xfile.doc? got no fkn idea, stupid computer doesnt even have word. has some "open office" thing.

cheers for that Damo and Krishy. Emailed a resume off and got an email back saying yes, your cover letter sounds like you are a very good candidate, but your resume is in a format we are unable to open.

More than likely thats happened to the 10+ jobs i have applied for, and heard nothing back..ergh.

Actually gets a bit chilly sitting around in datacenters/server rooms, now if only IBM graced us with variable fan controls.

You could always just sit infront of some cisco routers or a NAS cluster :P

I love server room aircon. Nothing quite like 24'c constant when you're in a collared shirt

-D

When I worked at the winery it could get a touch warm, but they have evaporative aircon in 90% of the work area, some even have refridgerative. Only 1 hall doesnt have anything but the building is coming up on a 100 years old so its pretty cool anyway plus there is no heavy machinery in it.

At my current job which is still manual handling the whole place except the dock is climate controlled to (what feels like) low 20's.

I feel for ya though guys :P

Anyone know the policy about a factory closure due to warm weather? Like, a law.. that says you have to close it once it gets to a certain temp like back at school?

every employer will have a different thing

our heat policy is basically this

- have plenty of breaks

- drink as much as you can

- take measures to get out of the heat as much as possible

so basically i leave the truck running while aloft, we've got the windows up and the a/c on. carry 10 litres of ice water on board, and most of that gets drunk during the day, and once our run is complete we go back into the depot and sit in the lunchroom till knock off

Should only take 3-5 business days Damo, make sure they havn't been rubber cheques!

I see you lurking Luke, what catch can set up you running on the GTR mate?

I love server room aircon. Nothing quite like 24'c constant when you're in a collared shirt

-D

Some peeps may have heard of The Tunnels just up the road from me in Panorama........they're used to store wine now and maintain a constant cool temperature.

Be nice to park myself in there for the next week or so with a big screen TV and access to the various Grange bottles in there :P

Some History: The Tunnels

The tunnels were built in 1880. The first ever tunnels built in South Australia, they opened up the line between Adelaide and Melbourne. The tunnels were decommissioned in 1920 when a new tunnel was built to eliminate the problem of sharp bends, single line and an inadequate viaduct.

The Tunnels were used during the war to store government documents and artworks.

The tunnels were transformed in 2003 and became The Tunnels Wine Storage.