SAU Community

Hey guys! My name is James, I'm an American living in Japan and I've been "forced" by my Japanese wife to only buy Skylines. My heart is heavy and broken, for sure. ;)

So, I went to look at a 25GT turbo today and while I was test driving it, I noticed that the slip light came on "easily". The road was dry, the weather pleasant and sunny. It was not on constantly, mind you. From what I've read, that indicates a problem with the coil packs. And I had the coilpack problem before on my 25GT.

Anyway, I'm wondering if it's normally so sensitive and perhaps I just need some practice driving smoothly and slowly and perhaps some better tires... or does it indicate a problem.

I'm pretty sure I was at... 3-4k rpm in second gear already traveling at perhaps 40 or 50kph... hard to remember now... and hit the throttle pretty hard. Would that normally create a, um..., slippery situation in this particular or am I looking at a bigger problem? Or perhaps I'm being finicky... It's easy to be so when it comes to buying a used car!

I tried searching for TCS but I just get every topic that 666Dan has ever posted in :D I was just going to message him, but he logged off before I could finish registering!

So I'm very sorry if I'm asking a repeat question, but I honestly tried my best. I even looked in other forums... but I've been reading this one for so long that I felt akin to it. I was in ghost mode.

Hey guys! My name is James, I'm an American living in Japan and I've been "forced" by my Japanese wife to only buy Skylines. My heart is heavy and broken, for sure. :)

So, I went to look at a 25GT turbo today and while I was test driving it, I noticed that the slip light came on "easily". The road was dry, the weather pleasant and sunny. It was not on constantly, mind you. From what I've read, that indicates a problem with the coil packs. And I had the coilpack problem before on my 25GT.

Anyway, I'm wondering if it's normally so sensitive and perhaps I just need some practice driving smoothly and slowly and perhaps some better tires... or does it indicate a problem.

I'm pretty sure I was at... 3-4k rpm in second gear already traveling at perhaps 40 or 50kph... hard to remember now... and hit the throttle pretty hard. Would that normally create a, um..., slippery situation in this particular or am I looking at a bigger problem? Or perhaps I'm being finicky... It's easy to be so when it comes to buying a used car!

I tried searching for TCS but I just get every topic that 666Dan has ever posted in :) I was just going to message him, but he logged off before I could finish registering!

So I'm very sorry if I'm asking a repeat question, but I honestly tried my best. I even looked in other forums... but I've been reading this one for so long that I felt akin to it. I was in ghost mode.

hi i do have the same problem on my GTT when driving on freeway. It slipped sometimes eventhough i'm driving straight forward~ have no ideas what prob with it, might be coilpacks~

I suppose it could be them going out slowly. On the 25GT that I have now, it was a gradual process when my coil packs went the first time. Let to stuttering, rough idle and slow acceleration. The second time it was instant... and then I found out about Splitfires and then haven't had the problem since. Was pretty much planning on buying another set for the new 25GTt anyway, but first I wanted to see what others thought. I just hope that's the problem! Would hate to find out it's something else later that costs big bucks to fix :)

• 3 weeks later...

Used to happen to me before on the freeway also. Would just ease on the throttle at 100km/h and the Slip light would go on.

Before I had crappy tyres all around and 17 x 8 and it still happened even though I have splitfire coilpacks.

I don't think it has anything to do with coilpacks.

Since then I have changed to 18 x 9.5 with brand new Kumho Ecsta KU31 and it has never happened again :thumbsup:

So I think it would be because your tyres aren't great.

Yep you can trigger the TCS system if your front and rear wheels aren't the same diameter, the front and rear speed sensor difference is enough that the car "thinks" that it has broken traction and kicks in.