SAU Community

Getting My First Car, Help :(

LolWhut

ive seen 4door auto 34 gt go for 6grand. no-one wants them. buy one, save your money and when your off your p's do the conversion to turbo manual. or just wait it out.

Forget the conversion, total waste of money.

Keep it as a daily and save your money for a weekend warrior. Then you can afford a GTR or rotary or something equally as temperamental without having to worry about it dying on the way to work.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, please don't get a 4 door auto NA R34. (No offence to anyone who has one).

Skyline is a sports car and they shoulda never made them with extra 2 more doors, it just doesn't look right.

As for auto, auto is cool and easy to drive, but you won't have as much fun as a manual.

Hence why 4 door auto NA R34 are worth next to worthless lol.

Coupe and manual is a must, especially if it's your first (good) car, because it's gonna be really memoriable for you :)

My last car (first car) was a NA R33 manual and I was so excited when I first got it (imported from Japan), and even though I upgraded to a R34 GTT, yes, it's got a turbo and looks better, but for some reasons, it still doesn't feel as good as my old car (bit weird lol).

I wouldn't waste the time on a N/A skyline. I test drove a few before I bought my first skyline and they felt no quicker than my 1.6l laser. Buy something that is cheap and fun to drive that way you can enjoy it without worrying about the massive debt thats going to be hanging over you head the next 5 years lol.

I did the exact opposite to that of course. Got a loan for a 33 GTST but was never happy with paying the interest on something I had no intention of keeping its just pissing money into the wind. If your going to put yourself in the situation where you have loan repayments every month and the debt just never seems to go down because the interest rates are so high then you want to have something that you are going to be happy with long term. R34 GTs just aren't that kind of car. Not to me anyway.

My 2c is buy a na silvia or something similar. Cheap, fun, reliable. When your off your ps buy the 34 then.

lol, thats abit risky haha. dont you get pulled over by cops? i mean.. ur driving a skyline! lol

I would loveeeee to get my car from a private seller, but im financing. Im not sure if they will finance for a private car.

the finance i have now for ford escape is under my dads name, i was too young to get one with my name anyway and im going to keep it that way.

I guess it will save me ALOT on my insurance that way, wouldn't it?

Anyway, thanks guys. I better check over the phone with the dealers if they have the car in stock. :)

hay buddy how r ya. u shouldnt have a problem driving a gtt if u behave.

i have only been pulled over once in my 34 but i was fanging it lol.

i also drove a tt supra and a gtr on my p's with no problems watsoeva. ur insurance wont be that huge but ur excess will be fkn massive lol

if i were u i would either get a turbo 34 or just wait till u r off ur p's

i also drove a tt supra and a gtr on my p's with no problems watsoeva. ur insurance wont be that huge but ur excess will be fkn massive lol

That's great and all until your insurance company flat out denies paying you for crashing a car you were not legally allowed to drive.

thanks guys :D

yeah... 4door skyline, no go for me hehe

also one of my mate drives a 180sx and he once got pulled over RANDOMLY in the middle of the traffic and cops just told him to pop the hood to check turbies lol

i just dont want to be worried everytime i drive gtt. i still have 2more years to go lol

o and if you sent me a PM, i cant reply yet cuz not over 10posts yet haha

i have tuesday off work so im going to check more cars out lol

any of you bought or traded with E&M Motors and SAF's imports?

they are right next to each other.

Edited by LolWhut

Lol, you shouldn't encourage people to break the law :D Just because you do it, and don't get caught, doesn't mean he won't.

Yes, I'm on my P's too and I drive a GTT, but I'm not proud of breaking the law nor will I encourage others to do so.

That's great and all until your insurance company flat out denies paying you for crashing a car you were not legally allowed to drive.

Well, when I got my policy from Just Car, I specifically asked them "if I'm on my P's and I drive a GTT, which is illegal, and if I have an accident, will I be covered" and the girl was like "of course you will be covered" and she said something about Just Car are there to insure young P plater driving imports lol.

thanks guys :D

yeah... 4door skyline, no go for me hehe

also one of my mate drives a 180sx and he once got pulled over RANDOMLY in the middle of the traffic and cops just told him to pop the hood to check turbies lol

i just dont want to be worried everytime i drive gtt. i still have 2more years to go lol

o and if you sent me a PM, i cant reply yet cuz not over 10posts yet haha

i have tuesday off work so im going to check more cars out lol

any of you bought or traded with E&M Motors and SAF's imports?

they are right next to each other.

Yeah, I crap myself everytime I see a cop (and no I'm not complaining lol), and I'm sure you don't wanna have to worry for another 2 years, so going NA is a good choice.

Oh and buying a shit box and save for GTR isn't a very good idea, because you'll need to get used to the power of a RB, even if it's just an NA, because even an NA skyline is pretty powerful compare to all those other NA cars out there, so an NA skyline would be a good stepping stone. When I first got my NA R33, I thought I was a good enough driver to handle the power, but guess what, 2 days after I got it, I smashed it into a bus shelter lol.

And I'm sure you will still have lots of fun driving a manual NA :(

Yeah, I crap myself everytime I see a cop (and no I'm not complaining lol), and I'm sure you don't wanna have to worry for another 2 years, so going NA is a good choice.

Oh and buying a shit box and save for GTR isn't a very good idea, because you'll need to get used to the power of a RB, even if it's just an NA, because even an NA skyline is pretty powerful compare to all those other NA cars out there, so an NA skyline would be a good stepping stone. When I first got my NA R33, I thought I was a good enough driver to handle the power, but guess what, 2 days after I got it, I smashed it into a bus shelter lol.

And I'm sure you will still have lots of fun driving a manual NA :)

just what i wanted to hear! lol

for me gt all the way, and gtt later on.

lets just hope i dont smash into anything lol :)

but before that, i need to find a car first already haha

cant thank you guys enough for all the support :) thanks guys

Yeah, please don't get a 4 door auto NA R34. (No offence to anyone who has one).

Skyline is a sports car and they shoulda never made them with extra 2 more doors, it just doesn't look right.

I love all these "A skyline should have a turbo, two doors and a manual, otherwise it's not a real skyline" statements.

Have you guys ever actually noticed that skylines STARTED as NA sedans? and the original (and possibly the best) GTR was a 2L NA?

The Skyline names has been around for over 40 years, and the majprity of that lineup? Yep, NA Sedans.

People need to stop kidding themselves, yeah they are good cars but they aren't race bred, pedigree supercars. They're a halo model, based out of a mass market sedan, just like an SS Commodore. All the NOS pumping, Neon lit, blowoff valvin' muzztechs should really get past the conception that their GTST is a cut price track weapon, and NA's are the retarded off shoot of that. The reality is that NA sedans are the mass market model and the source of $$$ for nissan, and the GTR is a tricked up homologation version of that, and your Veilside wearing, 8" exhaust toting GTST is the bastard child caught in limbo somewhere between the two.

(with the exception of the current one, which really is a bespoke, cut price supercar, hence the dropping of 'skyline' from its name, to distance itself from the tricked up image).

A little off topic with the rant there, but my point is thus. The Skyline world is bigger than "turbo and two doors", and if that's all you can see, you're missing the point and buying into the Fast and Furious depiction of street racing, NAAWWWWWWSS and Johnny Tran having at least a hundred grand under the hood of that thing.

The real beauty of a Skyline is in the handling, not the power. On a twisty road that you know well, and with a good suspension tune there's nothing that can make you happier for the money. Which explains why i've had WRX's, P-Platers with a god complex and a V8 commodore and even a C63 AMG along the Great Ocean Rd with nothing but an NA, a good set of tyres and a knowledge of where i'm going.

I love all these "A skyline should have a turbo, two doors and a manual, otherwise it's not a real skyline" statements.

Have you guys ever actually noticed that skylines STARTED as NA sedans? and the original (and possibly the best) GTR was a 2L NA?

The Skyline names has been around for over 40 years, and the majprity of that lineup? Yep, NA Sedans.

People need to stop kidding themselves, yeah they are good cars but they aren't race bred, pedigree supercars. They're a halo model, based out of a mass market sedan, just like an SS Commodore. All the NOS pumping, Neon lit, blowoff valvin' muzztechs should really get past the conception that their GTST is a cut price track weapon, and NA's are the retarded off shoot of that. The reality is that NA sedans are the mass market model and the source of $$$ for nissan, and the GTR is a tricked up homologation version of that, and your Veilside wearing, 8" exhaust toting GTST is the bastard child caught in limbo somewhere between the two.

(with the exception of the current one, which really is a bespoke, cut price supercar, hence the dropping of 'skyline' from its name, to distance itself from the tricked up image).

A little off topic with the rant there, but my point is thus. The Skyline world is bigger than "turbo and two doors", and if that's all you can see, you're missing the point and buying into the Fast and Furious depiction of street racing, NAAWWWWWWSS and Johnny Tran having at least a hundred grand under the hood of that thing.

The real beauty of a Skyline is in the handling, not the power. On a twisty road that you know well, and with a good suspension tune there's nothing that can make you happier for the money. Which explains why i've had WRX's, P-Platers with a god complex and a V8 commodore and even a C63 AMG along the Great Ocean Rd with nothing but an NA, a good set of tyres and a knowledge of where i'm going.

Well, I said what I said because LolWhut wanted something that "looks good" and IMO, 4 door skylines don't look all that great, that's why I said "it just doesn't look right".

Yeah, skylines first started as an NA, but I've got nothing against an NA, even in my earlier post, I'd encourage him to get an NA, because NA is a great way to start to learn how to drive a sports car.

And I've never once said anything close to ""A skyline should have a turbo, two doors and a manual, otherwise it's not a real skyline". I suggested him to get a manual because it is way more fun than a 4 speed triptronic, also he can get used to driving a manual as he will move onto a turbo at a later stage.

Last thing, honestly, I really don't think P platers out there bought their skyline because of handling. Because there are many cars that can out handle a skyline. They buy them before they look good and it also makes em look cool driving it, also having the power to out run most other NA's out there.

I wouldn't waste the time on a N/A skyline. I test drove a few before I bought my first skyline and they felt no quicker than my 1.6l laser. Buy something that is cheap and fun to drive that way you can enjoy it without worrying about the massive debt thats going to be hanging over you head the next 5 years lol.

I did the exact opposite to that of course. Got a loan for a 33 GTST but was never happy with paying the interest on something I had no intention of keeping its just pissing money into the wind. If your going to put yourself in the situation where you have loan repayments every month and the debt just never seems to go down because the interest rates are so high then you want to have something that you are going to be happy with long term. R34 GTs just aren't that kind of car. Not to me anyway.

My 2c is buy a na silvia or something similar. Cheap, fun, reliable. When your off your ps buy the 34 then.

+1

Don't waste your money on cars yet, you'll have plenty of time later in life. You'll probably have just as much fun driving a na s13 or 180sx that's going to cost you a 1/4 of the price of the r34.

And yes it looks cool and all that, but in a few years time when all your mate's are stuck with their first (semi-decent) cars, you'll be able to afford what you really want.

My 2c.

Last thing, honestly, I really don't think P platers out there bought their skyline because of handling. Because there are many cars that can out handle a skyline. They buy them before they look good and it also makes em look cool driving it, also having the power to out run most other NA's out there.

Sure but Skylines are great 'bang for buck' packages. Not let down in any real areas or compromised, you have a superb engine, strong transmission, decent balance and handling, reliability, room for people in the back and a bit of space in the trunk. Add to that there are loads of mods available and everything about the cars is 'well known'.

Sure there are faster and there are better handling, but you will have to pay ALOT for something significantly better at both and that will probably cost $$ to run. Sure you could buy a V8 but then it would be heavy and crap in the corners, or a nimble little two seater which probably wouldn't have room for a briefcase in the trunk and people would think you are a hairdresser.

Plus also Skylines have a tough 'aura'. :P

Well, when I got my policy from Just Car, I specifically asked them "if I'm on my P's and I drive a GTT, which is illegal, and if I have an accident, will I be covered" and the girl was like "of course you will be covered" and she said something about Just Car are there to insure young P plater driving imports lol.

I asked the exact same thing. The girl I was speaking to straight out admitted they will NOT pay out P platers who have an accident in a car they're not legally allowed to drive.

You can still get away with it, I know one guy who did so recently. I think it comes down to the value of the car and the seriousness of the accident. The bigger the bill the more likely they're going to look into it.

I asked the exact same thing. The girl I was speaking to straight out admitted they will NOT pay out P platers who have an accident in a car they're not legally allowed to drive.

You can still get away with it, I know one guy who did so recently. I think it comes down to the value of the car and the seriousness of the accident. The bigger the bill the more likely they're going to look into it.

Then I guess they lied to me lol

lol of course they lied.. they want your money.. by saying your covered for imports.. means they are deceptive.. they arent answering your question but leading you to beleive.. and one worker "misunderstanding" your question doesnt represent them as a whole.. in which the policy would state this legality

on another note.. they may cover your gtt while on your p's but this may not include you driving and hitting someone ie. they will cover for things like theft..

Lol, you shouldn't encourage people to break the law :D Just because you do it, and don't get caught, doesn't mean he won't.

Yes, I'm on my P's too and I drive a GTT, but I'm not proud of breaking the law nor will I encourage others to do so.

No they're not. Just cars are there to make money. The couldn't give two f**ks about your import. When it all comes down to it and they have to pay out 20k because you've smashed your car they will look for any possible way to get out of paying the money. You just happen to give them a bullet proof way of doing that ;)

And I'm sure you will still have lots of fun driving a manual NA :)

I don't get this. GTRs are pretty quick stock but they aren't a car that is difficult to handle. They are actually pretty easy to drive quickly. If your not an idiot behind the wheel then I don't see any reason why someone who is a competent driver would have any problems driving a GTR straight from a shitbox. NA skylines aren't powerful. They handle well and are a fun car to chuck around but powerful is not how I would describe one.

Then I guess they lied to me lol

Yep they sure did.

lol of course they lied.. they want your money.. by saying your covered for imports.. means they are deceptive.. they arent answering your question but leading you to beleive.. and one worker "misunderstanding" your question doesnt represent them as a whole.. in which the policy would state this legality

on another note.. they may cover your gtt while on your p's but this may not include you driving and hitting someone ie. they will cover for things like theft..

+1

When you go looking for a car make sure you go and test drive a whole range of different cars. Even if you don't have any intention of buying them go and drive them. Loads of people will give you an opinion on a car without even driving it. Go drive everything! then compare and decide.

Hello,

Saf's Import & Compliance at 51 Paramatta RD, Five Dock NSW 2046

These guys were quite genuine i bought a R32 GTS-T from them just a month ago they are reasonably priced and the car was in good condition, Have a look around there and speak to Ibrahim.

PH:9797 2444

Email : [email protected]

Let me know if you need anymore info!