SAU Community

Getting My First Car, Help :(

LolWhut

I don't get this. GTRs are pretty quick stock but they aren't a car that is difficult to handle. They are actually pretty easy to drive quickly. If your not an idiot behind the wheel then I don't see any reason why someone who is a competent driver would have any problems driving a GTR straight from a shitbox. NA skylines aren't powerful. They handle well and are a fun car to chuck around but powerful is not how I would describe one.

Why do you think they've added the turbo + power/weight restriction for P platers? Because they believe that young drivers just don't have the experience to handle the power. Yes, you might say its easy and all to handle a GTR, but how long have you been driving for? ;)

As we all know, most young drivers thinks they invincible and can do/handle anything, I was the same when I was younger as well. But the truth is, they aren't. So that's why I said NA skylines are a good stepping stone. But honestly, they are pretty quick, of course not as quick as a turbo, but they can out power most NA 6's thats out there.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been driving for 3 years. I totally agree with p plate laws as most p platers wouldn't know their arse from their elbow. Hence I added the qualifier competent driver.

Well, we are talking about an 18yo that doesn't even have his P's yet, so as competent as he is, he is still a new driver on the road, so since this topic is about his car, then that's why I suggested an NA skyline would be a good start, so you can build up your driving skills and move onto something that has a bit more power, instead of just jumping into the deep end when you only know how to paddle.

I would loveeeee to get my car from a private seller, but im financing. Im not sure if they will finance for a private car.

the finance i have now for ford escape is under my dads name, i was too young to get one with my name anyway and im going to keep it that way.

I guess it will save me ALOT on my insurance that way, wouldn't it?

Anyway, thanks guys. I better check over the phone with the dealers if they have the car in stock. :)

Yeah, you can pretty much guarantee that finance won't touch anything but a dealer car (if they're even willing to touch you at all).

Banks don't hand out $15k+ for shits and giggles, so you can guarantee they'll probably want it secured against the car or at least be a unsecured loan against the car with them as the registered interest. (Which basically adds up to the bank or whatever owning your soul for as long as you're in possesion of the loan. Effectively, the bank will own the car, and you can't do anything that will effect their interest in the car (sell it, destroy it etc))

You can also guarantee that you'll be required to take out full comp insurance.

Most insurance companies don't really differentiate between turbo or non-turbo, they only see "skyline", and you pay accordingly.

Yeah, you can pretty much guarantee that finance won't touch anything but a dealer car (if they're even willing to touch you at all).

Banks don't hand out $15k+ for shits and giggles, so you can guarantee they'll probably want it secured against the car or at least be a unsecured loan against the car with them as the registered interest. (Which basically adds up to the bank or whatever owning your soul for as long as you're in possesion of the loan. Effectively, the bank will own the car, and you can't do anything that will effect their interest in the car (sell it, destroy it etc))

You can also guarantee that you'll be required to take out full comp insurance.

Most insurance companies don't really differentiate between turbo or non-turbo, they only see "skyline", and you pay accordingly.

err.. i got my first car on an unsecured loan of 15k.. (the rest i had saved).. and unsecured means that they don't register interest on the car, you can sell it whenever you like etc.. on a secured loan it just means that if you didn't pay the loan the bank can repossess the car as they see fit.. the bad point on this is that alot of private buyers don't like to buy under finance cars as if you didnt pay the loan out this leaves their new car to be taken (as it was the banks car before it was sold to them)..

you can get a secured loan from the bank pretty easily if you want to buy from a private seller.. i've done it countless times and never had a prob.. however on agreement of the secured loan they do require you to have full insurance as that does protect the investment they are handling over the monies

you can also sell a car if its on a secured loan but tell the new owner to write out one chq for the bank and the rest owing to you.. simple

Edited by .:: GimpS-R34 ::.

Well, we are talking about an 18yo that doesn't even have his P's yet, so as competent as he is, he is still a new driver on the road, so since this topic is about his car, then that's why I suggested an NA skyline would be a good start, so you can build up your driving skills and move onto something that has a bit more power, instead of just jumping into the deep end when you only know how to paddle.

Wouldn't disagree with any of that all I'm suggesting is go look at some other na cars that will be more fun to drive and cheaper.

Lol, you shouldn't encourage people to break the law :( Just because you do it, and don't get caught, doesn't mean he won't.

Yes, I'm on my P's too and I drive a GTT, but I'm not proud of breaking the law nor will I encourage others to do so.

Well, when I got my policy from Just Car, I specifically asked them "if I'm on my P's and I drive a GTT, which is illegal, and if I have an accident, will I be covered" and the girl was like "of course you will be covered" and she said something about Just Car are there to insure young P plater driving imports lol.

HAHAHAHAHAH

I hope you got that in writing....

NO INSURANCE COMPANY WILL COVER YOU IF YOU DID SOMETHING ILLEGAL TO CAUSE AN ACCIDENT.

Douche.

if you get an unsecured loan then the interest charged is higher.. but on a secured loan the bank take into consideration on the value of the car as if you default on your payments they need to sell it to get some of the money back..

i usually stick with the bank i have my accounts with as transferring money from your account to the car loan is straight away as where transferring to another bank can be at least a day..

call some banks and see what they offer.. and see what you would rather have