SAU Community

Metallic Clunking Noise On Hot Days

ricsvtr

Hey guys, my car makes a metallic clunking noise when taking off or braking however it seems to only do this on hot days! It started making the noise last summer but went away as the weather cooled down. I've had no problems all through winter but it just started making the noise again.

Does anyone know what might be causing it? The noise is coming from the front of the car. Ive got relatively new springs and shocks on my car so I dont think they're the cause. Could it be some old rubber bushes or mounts that are on their way out??

Any help would be much appreciated!

Yeah I've got the same problem, same car. Started happening last summer as well and only noticed it again last weekend when the weather got freakishly hot in Perth! I've spoken to a mate of mine who's a mechanic, he reckons that some of the bushes might just need a bit of lubrication or replacing. What ever my cause is, it's definitely not the wheel nuts.

Edited by MacGuyver

does it only do it when the car has been driven or will it do it from the moment you start the car and take off for the first time?

the rubber mounts does sound likely as in summer they would be softer and allow more movement. as to which mounts if could be, now that is the problem. could be anything from exhaust mounts, to suspension, gearbox, engine, etc. i'd start by jacking the car up and going over the easy ones to get to with a spanner/socket set.

Iv got a similar if not the same problem. iv got a 96 S2 R33. the front right of the car makes a clunking or a creeking noise. it happens as soon as i take of slowly, as the front of the car rises it makes the noise, also as im braking and coming to a stop i can hear it. Also lol, as i turn the steering wheel, when driving slowly it makes a click sometimes, not all the time though its weird

Any ideas??

most common noise u describe is driveshaft splines noisy, wheels without centre spacers or aftermarket spacers not centred and tightened evenly,

or diff, copper grease in splines

I have stock wheels so I dont think its spacers in my case. The noise on mine seems to come from the front passenger side

Hi Guys

Got the same problem as described by the other guys, i thought it was the suspension, but i have recently got coil overs and same thing is happening.

i still have a fair bit of pad left on the fronts, it gets pretty bad, not sure if it is doing any damage or not.

anyone with any fixes yet?