SAU Community

Creaking Noise From The Back Glass Window

Hey guys

I've got a really annoying creaking noise coming from my back windshield.

You really notice it when you reverse the car and driving on bumpy roads. It sounds like it's coming out either from the back window glass or the boot.

I tried pinpointing the location but it's just impossible, i think the noise moves location everytime i go near it.

I wish i can explain it better but it sounds like you're stepping on old wooden floor. That kind of creak.

The pic below explains where the sound is coming from.

It's constantly creaking, driving me nuts! Anyone ever had this?

post-63310-1256096744_thumb.jpg

Does it happen by chance, just when you initially shift the clutch, like the first few 1000 revs?

Like a creek? Could it be from your exhaust area? I.e. below the window?

I had that problem, creek would drive me nuts, everytime i rolled a little on the clutch it would happen.

Turns out, after i got it on a hoist, there was a bolt somewhere under there at the back that was SO SO SO slightly loose, tightened it up, never had a problem.

If its from INSIDE your car, no idea dude.

Yeah I had the same problem, I looked on the american G35 website and they had a TSB regarding it. Apparently the bolts behind the back seat and around the parcel shelf loosen off enough to cause a creaking sound whenever there is either chassis flex or certain vibrating frequencies.

Basically, take out seat and parcel shelf trim and tighten every bolt you see. If you're really keen, take them out and use some semi-permanent loctite, then you know it'll never happen again.

I can't for the life of me determine where it's coming from.

But it sounds like it's coming from the inside of the car, somewhere underneath the sub or back glass . I took everything apart to make sure and it still did it.

Gold advice, GoldV35. I'll get to it this weekend!

Did it sound like an old wooden floorboard creaking?

Thanks Mate

Yeah absolutely.

More specifically it would 'creak' if I was going slowly over uneven terrain, such as entering or leaving a driveway, obviously that one is due to the flexing chassis.

The other times was if the engine was at certain rev ranges, those frequencies caused the panels to resonate.

To a lesser extent, if going over a particularly bumpy road, the impacts would bring on some creaking aswell.

Another thing, the back doors can get a creak going, due to the plastic door trim rubbing on the metal door. This can be fixed by putting felt pieces in certain strategic locations.

Again, this is covered on the american G35 site, link here: http://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06-15/

Edited by GoldV35

Problem Solved! :P

It was a loose screw at the back of my rear seats. All i needed to do was to tighten them. I didn't even need to take out the rear seats. Thank god for that!

Thanks goes out to GoldV35. Like he said it was mentioned in a service bulletin for Infiniti. I've included the PDF just in case anyone is having a similar problem :P

ITB03_046a_1_.pdf

Good work, I might try doing mine sometime....although my creak seems to come from my rear windows...

I LOL'd when I read this "Nissan Bulletins are intended for use by qualified technicians, not "do it yourselfers" <---- is there such a word???

Problem Solved! :down:

It was a loose screw at the back of my rear seats. All i needed to do was to tighten them. I didn't even need to take out the rear seats.

More thanks to GoldV35 from me - The creaking had been bugging me for months - four bolts tightened and now the car's completely silent. I had worried it was some kind of structural problem which was going to cost a fortune.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar annoying creak, would always appear at speed during/after a long run.

Read all the TSB's and nothing worked. Turned out that the bolts holding the trunk lid on were slightly loose ca. 1/2 turn each with a spanner.

I also adjusted the little bump stops at the back of the hinges as well 1/4 out and it seems to have solved the problem.